MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

View Poll Results: Where do I go from here? (now that all of the children have grown up...)
Build the X 17 56.67%
No one wants a $60k evo with high monthly payments, get out now and buy a 9. 13 43.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-19-2010   #41
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord
Re: Dave's Evo X Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlomker View Post
Must be normal since the same thing happened to me--I think you had commented on my FB post about it. My clutch still had plenty of life in it but I decided to get a new one in and broken in before adding power.

A poor choice of words, perhaps. My experience has been that cars start becoming annoying (maintenance needs) at 60k miles and up. I'm just hoping to get everything done while the car is new enough to have 50k of trouble-free fun.
Yea I wouldn't call old cars a project necessarily, so yea I guess we chose the wrong words. A project would be our Evo builds. You pretty much summed it up lomker.
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010   #42
Murlo26

Ok, so Alex at MAP found my oil leak (drip really) and I guess it is further down than he thought and found out most of the work was done from underneath and the turbo being off didn't help the fix at all. He found that the water pump needed to be taken off to do the fix so I told him since the turbo being off isn't a factor in this I will see if Mitsu will take care of this for me.

My question is this: And dealers more mod friendly than others? I go to the one in BP and they have worked out great and never said anything about my mods, so I was going to try them. Any suggestions guys?
Old 02-22-2010   #43
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

I'd take it to Brookdale Mitsu since they're a board sponsor, but it really all comes down to the regional claims rep that can approve/deny anything at all the local dealerships. Just hope you catch him on a good day The dealership down here took pictures of just my leaky rear diff seals and I took my car home right away, showed the regional rep the pictures the next day when he was in so he wouldn't see my actual car and everything ended up getting approved. Maybe ask Brookdale if they're willing to do something similar for you? The dealership told me here they would take pictures and show him rather
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010   #44
Murlo26

Well I will take it to brookdale and see what happens I guess.

The worst they can say is no I guess. Alex at MAP said they can't legally deny it since there is a TSB out for it since they can't prove my mods are to blame. I don't want to get into a huge legal battle for a few hundred bucks so I will just ask nicely
Old 02-22-2010   #45
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

TSB's have nothing to do with what they're legally obligated to do; the same laws as any other warranty repair apply. TSB's are basically just how-to sheets for common warranty claims. I was able to get Honda to cover a few TSB issues under good-faith after the warranty period on my S2000 expired though.
Old 02-22-2010   #46
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
TSB's have nothing to do with what they're legally obligated to do; the same laws as any other warranty repair apply. TSB's are basically just how-to sheets for common warranty claims. I was able to get Honda to cover a few TSB issues under good-faith after the warranty period on my S2000 expired though.
Ah, k. Well I will try having them do it none the less. Thanks for the help.

Update on the build: My manifold is getting ported tomorrow morning and I will post pictures of the manifold and turbo after they get coated.
Old 02-22-2010   #47
mlomker
*Resting In Peace*

Drives: 94 Plymouth Acclaim/2008 EvoX

My cousin once commented that mine might be leaking somewhere back there as well. Ron didn't comment on it when they did my tranny so maybe it was nothing.

Good luck with the claim. I haven't had to bring mine to a dealer yet. Our cars are getting to be very not stock.

--
Yeah, a service bulletin isn't the same as a recall.

kracka--It's official, Lomker sucks at chicks!
mlomker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010   #48
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Definitely, good luck with the claim! Once in a while Mitsubishi surprises me. Worst case senario you could get the dealership to print it out for you so you know what parts you'll need and how to go about repairing it
Old 02-22-2010   #49
Murlo26

Quote:
Definitely, good luck with the claim! Once in a while Mitsubishi surprises me. Worst case senario you could get the dealership to print it out for you so you know what parts you'll need and how to go about repairing it
Alex at MAP already knows what is needed to fix it. All that is needed is some sealant and a gasket and o-ring for when the water pump is re-installed. The water pump is the hard part about the fix I guess, need to remove it to get to the spot. After that it is clean the area, sand it down a bit and apply new sealant.

But I am interested to see what happens. I will post up the outcome.
Old 02-22-2010   #50
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlomker View Post
My cousin once commented that mine might be leaking somewhere back there as well. Ron didn't comment on it when they did my tranny so maybe it was nothing.

Good luck with the claim. I haven't had to bring mine to a dealer yet. Our cars are getting to be very not stock.

--
Yeah, a service bulletin isn't the same as a recall.
I guess it is a minor leak, but something that should be fixed regardless. I would say a double check wouldn't hurt. I am sure whoever is doing all your internals etc will be able to check quick.

Yea, my car is officially not really stock anymore, lol.
Old 02-24-2010   #51
Murlo26

Scramble boost!

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26706

So i am thinking about doing this for my second tune when I get my clutch/flywheel in.

Cliff Notes: Cruise Control ON - Daily Driving Map, lower boost setting, different timing/mivec settings and different fuel tables.

Cruise OFF: UBER MAP: High Boost (in my case 33ish I am thinking), More aggressive MIVEC settings, maybe lean it out a little. This would be used for showing off, tracking, and any form of racing I guess.

I think this would be nice so I wouldn't be stressing my engine so much all the time.

What do you guys think? Good Idea?

Gunzo also has some mivec settings based on gears, but with the FPred's new anti-surge cover, I doubt I would need to change it at all by gear. Would be real nice for Huge turbo's though to spool them up crazy fast.
Old 02-24-2010   #52
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

You'd want to use your less aggressive maps for road racing since a lot more heat is created during lap after lap of WOT than just a few second pull down the highway (this is why drag racers can run their tune closer to the edge than road racers can).
Old 02-24-2010   #53
Murlo26

Quote:
You'd want to use your less aggressive maps for road racing since a lot more heat is created during lap after lap of WOT than just a few second pull down the highway (this is why drag racers can run their tune closer to the edge than road racers can).
Right, I don't see myself doing much road racing soon, I am a total noob (or am guessing I would be) at that. But point well taken. I am guessing the less aggressive map would have enough power anyway for road racing and driver mod is more important.
Old 02-24-2010   #54
Murlo26

Anyone have recommendations for a wideband? Something that is easy enough to use with ECUflash/Evoscan once I get a tactrix cable eventually.

So it has to have the gauge part too, it looks like the one on tactrix's site is just for logging and no gauge...?? I was leaning towards just the AEM one and then I could get the AEM digital boost gauge too to match (since my 30psi STRI gauge is going to be maxed out here soon).
Old 02-24-2010   #55
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlo26 View Post
Would be real nice for Huge turbo's though to spool them up crazy fast.
Hope you don't run into compressor surge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
Real compressor surge happens during spoolup/high boost, not when you let off of the gas. The surge noise in that video is caused by the BOV not letting all the air out in 1 smooth blow. Too tight of a BOV opening and closing over and over might not be the best thing for the turbo, if the air is actually backing up that far, but it isn't real compressor surge and the kind that ported/anit-surge compressor covers are for. People call this noise BOV surge/flutter or "internet surge" because most people on the internet don't know what real compressor surge actually is.

Compressor surge happens when the turbo is flowing A LOT of air and the motor can't actually ingest all that air. A turbo makes boost inside the compressor housing, it isn't like a roots blower/positive displacement blower that works by stacking air in the intake manifold. When air starts stacking up on a turbo car and gets stacked all the way back to the compressor housing, then surge happens. The stacked air starts stopping the spinning compressor wheel or trys to turn it backwards. When you try to stop a compressor wheel going 80,000RPMs, bad things happen.

Compressor surge is common on 2.0l motors with the 61mm turbos. The 2.0l spools the turbo to high boost levels too fast and makes more air than the motor can take in. You can try to get rid of surge by going to a larger exhaust housing/wheel, to make the turbo spool up slower. You can get bigger cams, bigger intake manifold, port the head, to try to be able to take in more air. You can goto a bigger displacement motor that can take in more air each stroke.

A ported shroud/anti-surge cover has passage ways for the backing up air to come back out the front of compressor housing and into your intake pipe to try to avoid reverse flow pressure waves from causing surge.

Basically you can't have your cake and eat it too. If you spool a big turbo too fast you get surge.

Quote:
Anyone have recommendations for a wideband? Something that is easy enough to use with ECUflash/Evoscan once I get a tactrix cable eventually.

So it has to have the gauge part too, it looks like the one on tactrix's site is just for logging and no gauge...?? I was leaning towards just the AEM one and then I could get the AEM digital boost gauge too to match (since my 30psi STRI gauge is going to be maxed out here soon).

AEM also makes an analog wideband. Thats what I have to go with my AEM analog 35psi boost gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010   #56
mlomker
*Resting In Peace*

Drives: 94 Plymouth Acclaim/2008 EvoX

Quote:
I was leaning towards just the AEM one and then I could get the AEM digital boost gauge too to match (since my 30psi STRI gauge is going to be maxed out here soon).
I have the same problem...a 3 bar gauge that I haven't installed yet. I imagine I'll stay within that range but there aren't a lot of 4 bar options.

kracka--It's official, Lomker sucks at chicks!
mlomker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010   #57
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhart View Post
Hope you don't run into compressor surge.

AEM also makes an analog wideband. Thats what I have to go with my AEM analog 35psi boost gauge
I did know what compressor surge was, well not to that detail, but I knew it wasn't "internet" surge. However, I didn't know the FP anti-surge was for the bov being too tight. Still nice to have the FP anti-surge ports for driveability though.
Old 02-25-2010   #58
C3L1CA
N17r0U$ br4D

Goosehead Racing Champion! Street Drifting Champion!
Tournaments Won: 1

Drives: bikes and a silveraydo

AEM also makes a 5 bar boost gauge if you're that worried about matching your gauges but maxing out a 3 bar.
C3L1CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010   #59
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3L1CA View Post
AEM also makes a 5 bar boost gauge if you're that worried about matching your gauges but maxing out a 3 bar.
Not worried about matching gauges really, I just need two things:

A wideband in general for logging and making sure my shit doesn't blow up

A new boost gauge since my STRI one maxes at 30psi and I will be going above that more than likely with my second tune in a few weeks - month or so.
Old 02-25-2010   #60
Murlo26

Just got off the phone with MAP, my car is buttoned up and they are heat cycling the coating's now

All went smooth except I guess I have had a leaky injector, well one o-ring wasn't fully seated so it got dried out and is leaking a bit. So they are patching that up and all should be good to go.

So for all my modding, only a little bit of a problems (bad o-ring and slight oil leak), not too bad, knocking on wood now.

Can't wait for tuning tomorrow, i really hope the stock clutch holds.

i will post up some pics of the AFPR install/engine bay and manifold and turbo since they have been coated.

Tags
casual mention of an evo, cold little murlo, daves sexcapades, flip flop, flip flopppp, hotdog crank polishing, manifold butthurt?, sexy time.