MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 07-12-2004   #1
Alpine TSi
Banana Hammock!

Drives: Shitbox
I was just wondering if any of you that have either done the 4G64 swap or are doing it could answer some questions:

What has to be modified on the vehicle to accept this block?

What has to be done to my current bolt ons to work with it?

What has to be done to my head(1g 6bolt)?

Does anything electrical(ecu, etc) need to be changed?

What vehicles(specific years and models, 6 bolt only) use this block?

Where are they being found(locally, shipped, etc.)?

About how much are a good block and crank going for(on average)?

Is there anything else one would need to know about doing this swap?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Maybe when someone gets done they should write some kind of a tech article on this, so these questions don't come up again.

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
678/1000
Alpine TSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004   #2
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.
In essence, the 2.4 is a direct swap. It's damn near the same exact block (less taller deck) and unless you know what you're looking at no one will know the difference between the 4G63 and 4G64.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004   #3
john
Business as usual

Drives: Dodge Viper and Honda Insight
Get a 2.4l engine out of a 89 sonata. Not a 4g64, that is a 7 bolt version. The sonata's have a 6 bolt 4g63. I believe they run around $200-400 for the whole engine depending on where you find it. I have seen them go for $100 plus shipping for the whole engine at a junk yard but shipping from Iowa was $100-150 (quote).
Old 07-13-2004   #4
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.
Quote:
Originally posted by 92tsiawd84@Jul 12 2004, 11:54 PM
Get a 2.4l engine out of a 89 sonata.  Not a 4g64, that is a 7 bolt version.  The sonata's have a 6 bolt 4g63.  I believe they run around $200-400 for the whole engine depending on where you find it.  I have seen them go for $100 plus shipping for the whole engine at a junk yard but shipping from Iowa was $100-150 (quote).
The entire point of getting a 4G64 is for the extra .4 liters of displacement. There are both 6-bolt and 7-bolt versions of the 4G64.

The 4G64 came in a variety of Mitsubishi cars:
Eclipse 2.4 SOHC 1996-1999
Eclipse 2.4 SOHC-16V 2000-2003
Expo 2.4 7-Passenger 1992-1996
Expo LRV 2.4 5-Pass 1993-1996
Galant 2.4 4-Cyl. 1999-2003
Galant 2.4 DOHC 1994-1994
Galant 2.4 SOHC 1994-1998
Montero Sport 2.4 1997-1999
Van & Wagon 2.4 1987-1990

The Hyundai engine code for the 4G64 is the G4CS:
Sonata 2.4 SOHC-8V 1989-1993

Without a lot of searching I can't find a resource the defines what years determine 6-bolt from 7-bolt 4G64, but I can't imagine it would be any different than anything 92.5 and earlier being 6-bolt, just like the 4G63.

Quote:
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Old 07-13-2004   #5
At-Least-It's-An-Evo
At-Least-It's-White-Again

Mario Tetris 2 Champion! Tetris Champion! Tetris 2 Champion!
Drives: 98 iVTEC
Send a message via AIM to At-Least-It's-An-Evo
I believe one source is also the 86-89 Galant

Done fuckin' with cars but I will snap some photos of yours for now! =)
At-Least-It's-An-Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004   #6
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon
I personally am going the 2.3L route. Already started pricing it all out. I'm not 100% sure on everything that is needed to do the 2.4 swap, but the 2.3 way seems to be a lot easier to me. Maybe someone else can input on it but maybe you should look into goint the 2.3 route as well before doing the 2.4. Anyone else feel free to comment
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004   #7
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by me612@Jul 13 2004, 01:32 AM
I personally am going the 2.3L route. Already started pricing it all out. I'm not 100% sure on everything that is needed to do the 2.4 swap, but the 2.3 way seems to be a lot easier to me. Maybe someone else can input on it but maybe you should look into goint the 2.3 route as well before doing the 2.4. Anyone else feel free to comment
The 2.3L is easier, but the rod angle is worse. The 4mm additional height on the deck will improve it. Also going with longer rods will improve it also. The 2.3L uses custom pistons, so why not go with the 2.4L, with or without longer rods the pistons are custom anyway.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004   #8
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET
Quote:
Originally posted by 92tsiawd84@Jul 12 2004, 11:54 PM
Get a 2.4l engine out of a 89 sonata. Not a 4g64, that is a 7 bolt version. The sonata's have a 6 bolt 4g63. I believe they run around $200-400 for the whole engine depending on where you find it. I have seen them go for $100 plus shipping for the whole engine at a junk yard but shipping from Iowa was $100-150 (quote).
[rant] I really hate it when people spout off shit they have no idea about. If you don't know what you are talking about then shut up! [/rant]

This isn't totally aimed at you John, but I have seen it several times. You are a newbie, so don't act like you know everything.

The 2 block numbers at the G4CS (hyundai) or the 4G64. There are 6 and 7 bolt versions of both, so make sure you get the right model years. It is a pretty direct swap (just as easy as a 2.3l) but the blocks are getting harder to find. Just watch the model year to make sure that you get a 6 bolt.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004   #9
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Quote:
Originally posted by JET+Jul 13 2004, 12:02 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JET @ Jul 13 2004, 12:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>[rant] I really hate it when people spout off shit they have no idea about.&nbsp; If you don't know what you are talking about then shut up!&nbsp; [/rant]

This isn't totally aimed at you John, but I have seen it several times.&nbsp; You are a newbie, so don't act like you know everything.[/b]

I agree. A little research goes a LONG way, but still don't act like you know everything.

<!--QuoteBegin-JET

The 2 block numbers at the G4CS (hyundai) or the 4G64.&nbsp; There are 6 and 7 bolt versions of both, so make sure you get the right model years.&nbsp; It is a pretty direct swap (just as easy as a 2.3l) but the blocks are getting harder to find.&nbsp; Just watch the model year to make sure that you get a 6 bolt.[/quote]
Was I correct in assuming that the 92.5 and previous 4G64 are 6-bolt just like the 4G63? It was the only logical thing I could think of.

Quote:
Old 07-13-2004   #10
JET
Is funding Exxon.

all of the big boards have the exact years. I think it was 89-91, but I am not positive. Check out tuners or talk and they will have all of the specifics. NABR has everything too.

Old 07-13-2004   #11
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/mitsumo...pplications.htm

thats a list of the mitsu motors (4 cylinder).
summary:
89-91 hyundai sonata 6 bolt 4g64.. g4cs is the best option
others:
85-87 galant 6 bolt 4g64..
90-92 expo 6 bolt.
make sure they are the 12-1/4" bellhousing.
2.3L option: Complete hack job imo, poor rod ratios, and a bad option.
2.14L good rever ...
MATT R:
What has to be modified on the vehicle to accept this block?

NOTHING
What has to be done to my current bolt ons to work with it?

NOTHING however a larger turbo would be most benifitial
What has to be done to my head(1g 6bolt)?
NOTHING

Does anything electrical(ecu, etc) need to be changed?
Knock sensor has to be re-tapped, various methods are used ranging from new locations, to threading it in spots, to using freeze plugs

What vehicles(specific years and models, 6 bolt only) use this block?

see above
Where are they being found(locally, shipped, etc.)?
most local sources are tapped (sorry guys, we have gobbled them all up) and most are around $400 unless you really shop around

About how much are a good block and crank going for(on average)?
$400 for the entire motor, if you can get them to bargain, most give you $100 off the longblock if you just take the shortblock
Is there anything else one would need to know about doing this swap?
nothing especially except the list of parts that are compatibile etc..

just do some more research.
Old 07-14-2004   #12
john
Business as usual

Drives: Dodge Viper and Honda Insight
Quote:
Originally posted by JET+Jul 13 2004, 01:02 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JET @ Jul 13 2004, 01:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-92tsiawd84@Jul 12 2004, 11:54 PM
Get a 2.4l engine out of a 89 sonata.&nbsp; Not a 4g64, that is a 7 bolt version.&nbsp; The sonata's have a 6 bolt 4g63.&nbsp; I believe they run around $200-400 for the whole engine depending on where you find it.&nbsp; I have seen them go for $100 plus shipping for the whole engine at a junk yard but shipping from Iowa was $100-150 (quote).
[rant] I really hate it when people spout off shit they have no idea about. If you don't know what you are talking about then shut up! [/rant]

This isn't totally aimed at you John, but I have seen it several times. You are a newbie, so don't act like you know everything.

The 2 block numbers at the G4CS (hyundai) or the 4G64. There are 6 and 7 bolt versions of both, so make sure you get the right model years. It is a pretty direct swap (just as easy as a 2.3l) but the blocks are getting harder to find. Just watch the model year to make sure that you get a 6 bolt. [/b][/quote]
Sorry almighty king Jet. I am nowhere near 100% knowlegable like you. What I mean is that he should get a block out of a 89-91 galant (6 bolt) instead of a 2g 4g64 (7 bolt). I have found a few in junk yards but not around here that have them. If you are looking for one, search in the parking lot for the Iowa salvage yards. Jakey posted an ass load of them to help me out in finding a certain one. Give them a call. To most junk yards, they are worth nothing. I was finding longblocks for $100 pulled. Hell, who would actually be looking to replace the engine in their old ass Sonata anyhow? Most junk yards, if they have them, will practically give them to you. I am a total newbie like Jet claimed but you may want to steer away from the 7bolt 2.4ls. I don't even think Mike would like to send another to the machine shop.
Old 07-14-2004   #13
JET
Is funding Exxon.

I am not claiming to know everything. I readily admit that I don't. I just don't state incorrect facts. If I don't know something I don't post or else I try to refer them to someone who does know the answer.

Old 07-14-2004   #14
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon
I've been doing an assload of research on the 2.3L route. And from what I have read, some say the rod angles are the same on both the 2.4 and the 2.3, others don't. So I'm not positive who to believe, cuz I sure don't know how to make that calculation. Also I'm chosing that route because I didn't want to have to deal with figuring out what corresponding engine parts to purchase or what I can and can't reuse if i had a 4g64 block in there. Like if I could reuse my 4g63 water pump, or oil pump, or do i need new ones that are specific to the 4g64. Which headgasket to get? Can I use the same headstuds? Or how about the front case. I mean I'm sure with enough researching I could figure it all out. But what if it's an emergency and I need to get a new timing belt and I dunno whether to buy one for a 4g64 or a 4g63, and I don't wanna post a question that might take 5 hours to get a responce to. I'm by no means saying that the 2.4 is a shitty setup, I just don't wanna deal with those little issues. So that is a big part of why I'm interested in the 2.3 setup, but of course I'm not 100% decided yet because I still have much to learn about both setups. But I'll hush now cuz this thread was about 2.4's and not 2.3's.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004   #15
1ViciousGSX
Admin

The only parts that are different are the timing belt and gears (need the ones for a 4g64). All other 1g 4g63 parts will interchange (except for the crank & pistons). If you are trying to put it into a 2g you will need to put together a timing belt tensoiner using the parts from a 1g & 2g tensioner arm.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004   #16
AJ
Area code 166 represent

Send a message via AIM to AJ Send a message via Yahoo to AJ
2.14 with the butcher.

nuff said
Old 07-14-2004   #17
Jakey
Asshat King

Send a message via MSN to Jakey
Does anybody have a link that provides the year breaks for the 6-7 bolt differences?

Proud to be a Cyclone

Check it out: Racers Against Street Racing
Jakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004   #18
Tachyon

Drives: Icarus
I have 3 4GCS motors sitting in my basement, derelect from when I use to race Sonatas (don't ask...) Anyhoo this IS the best block to use for several reasons, the main one being you dont have to tap new oil lines for the 63 head like you do with the 64... At anyrate, the block you are looking for comes in the 89-91 Sonata, this IS the exact same block as the 63 with the exception of the bore (86.5mm vs 85mm) and the stroke (cant remember the stroke right now) In addition, the 2.4 block has an extra 6mm of deck height. Because of this you will need a timing belt from a 2.4 DOHC galant (they were made in the mid 90's) Anyhoo I am once again excited about blocks that are in my basement cuz of the 2.14 hybrid. I need to find someone who has done a 63 crank in a 64 block so I can pick their brain...