HiImBrian

Drives: the girls crazy
Send a message via AIM to HiImBrian
Should I trade?

http://photos-e.ak.facebook.com/phot...02204_1552.jpg
http://photos-f.ak.facebook.com/phot...02205_1779.jpg
http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/phot...02203_1327.jpg
http://photos-g.ak.facebook.com/phot...02206_2009.jpg
It's a 1972 Nova SS with a 396 under the hood. My buddy bought this car a couple years ago and he has since moved on and wants to sell it. I mentioned just trading cars with him because I think this nova looks like sex. The interior is all redone and looks brand new. it has a racing automatic transmition which is new to me. This is something totally new to me, so I know there would be much to learn. But what do you guys think I should do?

I don't think the nova is running it's best right now, but that would be something to take into consideration I guess. It might need minor work to get to it's good running stage. I would obviously not drive this car in the winter. I'd garage it and get a beater car. Anyways, lets hear what you guys think.
Old 07-28-2008   #2
kevbo6204

Drives: #313/1000 '92 Summit White VR4 Galant
Re: Should I trade?

I would first find out exactly what is wrong with it. If it is something minor then no worries. What exactly does it have for mods. And this race auto transmission what exactly does that entail. Manual valve body /upgraded clutches and internal pieces/ or is it just a shift kit? More info on the car I guess. Very nice car however. Would be total stand out on the road though killing the sleekness of your 2g. Kickass car nonetheless
Old 07-28-2008   #3
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

Take the trade for a car that can actually make you money in the long run. Restore that beast and enjoy. Dont get my wrong. I love dsms but a deal like that would be hard to pass up.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
Old 07-28-2008   #4
HiImBrian

^I'll find out more about the tranny tonight. It used to be a stick but the clutch pedal was taken out and now it's an auto. I'm pretty sure it's basically stock
Old 07-28-2008   #5
kevbo6204

Drives: #313/1000 '92 Summit White VR4 Galant

I guess just weigh it out. Do you want money more right now then a car? Or do you trade the car and if you want money in a summer or so resell the Nova. Just make sure you dont crash it
Old 07-28-2008   #6
TkrPerformance

Drives: toaster
Send a message via AIM to TkrPerformance

find out what is all done to it and give me a call I can look it all over sense I started out building hot rods
Old 07-28-2008   #7
HiImBrian

^sweet will do.

Id love to sell the dsm now, but i dont see it selling any time soon to be honest. Ive planned on getting something nice like this to restore and keep forever. The only drawback is this is a little earlier than I would have liked to find a car like this. I was hoping Id pick one up after Im outa school.
Old 07-28-2008   #8
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.98GSX View Post
while I'm in school I need to focus on what's important and spend my money a little more wisely. I'd like to get into it again once I've got a little more space once I'm outa school.
If that is honestly your reason for getting rid of your Eclipse, then why would you get another project car?
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Old 07-28-2008   #9
hippiekiller

As far as a "true muscle car" goes anything after '71 becomes less valuable. I'd say look everywhere in the car for rust. Under the carpet, in the trunk...Run the VIN through and make sure it is a real SS, check for matching numbers with the engine and the car, etc. Buy one of those bondo meters and see how much bondo she has (or a magnet). You are trading something that has yet to reach it's true value for something that has. I'd scrutinize that car HARD. Any little blemish I'd take a note of. Personally, I'd keep the DSM.
Old 07-28-2008   #10
HiImBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halon View Post
If that is honestly your reason for getting rid of your Eclipse, then why would you get another project car?
If I got the nova I'd buy a shitter car for school and keep the nova garaged except for summers. I wouldn't keep the nova with me at school. I honestly appreciate you reading my other threads that closely.
Old 07-28-2008   #11
HiImBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiekiller View Post
As far as a "true muscle car" goes anything after '71 becomes less valuable. I'd say look everywhere in the car for rust. Under the carpet, in the trunk...Run the VIN through and make sure it is a real SS, check for matching numbers with the engine and the car, etc. Buy one of those bondo meters and see how much bondo she has (or a magnet). You are trading something that has yet to reach it's true value for something that has. I'd scrutinize that car HARD. Any little blemish I'd take a note of. Personally, I'd keep the DSM.
Gotcha, thanks for the advice. Are you saying you don't think dsms have reached their "true" value? And is that value going to increase or decrease as time goes on in your opinion?
Old 07-28-2008   #12
hippiekiller

Well, in my opinion finding a clean, manual GSX with lower miles that hasn't been beat to piss is pretty hard to do already. It can be done, but they are a premium usually. I can't think it will get any easier. So something like you have MAY increase some in value. Where as with the Nova, 10 years down the road it will be worth pretty much what it is worth today. And quite frankly it isn't too hard to find a clean one. The made a ton of them. So, they may start out as a v6 car and get swapped to a v8. Serves the same purpose and makes it a lot easier to find clean shells and what not. We don't really have that option. And with how much Eclipses like to rust (especially the strut towers) I would keep the clean GSX and look for a Nova or something down the road. Why trade what you have for something you can have 10 years down the road? Main thing I am saying is, I personally think it is easier to find a clean Nova than GSX. You know what you have into your car, where as with the Nova it would start all over again. In the end, it's all up to you.
Old 07-28-2008   #13
HiImBrian

^This is true. I think it is hard to come by a clean gsx, but at the same time the demand for a "nice" dsm vs a cheap dsm isn't very good. I get a million complements about my car wherever I go, but to be honest with ya, I haven't had one legit offer yet (I know it hasn't been fs too long).

I did just find out that the Nova is actually a '73 with a late 60's big block in it. I'll have more time later to chat with my buddy about it tonight or tomorrow.
Old 07-28-2008   #14
2bar1g

Drives: .

I wouldn't trade. For one, it someone else’s "build". Kind of like that no one really wants to buy a modded dsm that’s been already built, they want something as their own(at least in my mind). So judging by the time/money/effort you put into your dsm, you don't seem like the kind of person that would buy someone else’s project. This of course could be completely wrong, if you have the patience to wait it out before you have the money/time to make it your own build. Do you get what I’m saying?
Old 07-28-2008   #15
95talonracer
Finally Tuned...

Drives: Spyder GSX
Send a message via MSN to 95talonracer

Where is the spot to vote to just keep the DSM?

Amsoil Dealer
Old 07-28-2008   #16
HiImBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bar1g View Post
I wouldn't trade. For one, it someone else’s "build". Kind of like that no one really wants to buy a modded dsm that’s been already built, they want something as their own(at least in my mind). So judging by the time/money/effort you put into your dsm, you don't seem like the kind of person that would buy someone else’s project. This of course could be completely wrong, if you have the patience to wait it out before you have the money/time to make it your own build. Do you get what I’m saying?
Sorta, I like to do things myself and if I ended up with this nova I'd go back over and redo things "my" way sorta like I did with a few things on my dsm. I re-ran the wires for the subs just because I wanted a little cleaner look. The thing is, I'm pretty sure it's just a somewhat stock big block. Again, idk for sure I'll post more later.

I'm sorta just afraid I'm not going to find somebody that cares enough about dsms to put an offer out on mine.
Old 07-28-2008   #17
munchgsx

Drives: 2004 Corvette M6 F45

I think the 396 was discontinued in either 70 or 71 so it is not a numbers matching SS. I have a 67 Nove SS witch I think is the better body. The 68 thru 73's had alot of metal on them and where tanks and although they went strait fairly well they do not turn. Keep the DSM.

Last edited by munchgsx; 07-28-2008 at 07:29 PM..
Old 07-28-2008   #18
95talonracer
Finally Tuned...

Drives: Spyder GSX
Send a message via MSN to 95talonracer

Keep the dsm, make it faster then a V8, and still get around 20 mpg. Simple deal. Your car is nice from what I seen and you know it yourself and isn't someone elses problem like the other car could be.

Amsoil Dealer
Old 07-28-2008   #19
b00stcreep21
I hate everyone

If you are thinking about trading, I would say just keep the DSM instead. I like the way your car looks alot more than the nova, the DSM is faster, and it has more creature comforts. And like other people were sayin too, if you wanna get rid of the DSM so that you don't have a project car, why trade it for another one? You can still buy a beater, and not bring the DSM to school with you too. Also, I don't know why, but that nova just looks like a big bucket-o-ass to me
Old 07-28-2008   #20
HiImBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95talonracer View Post
Where is the spot to vote to just keep the DSM?
I knew too many ppl would vote for that so I didn't put it up there haha