MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Old 01-01-2013   #1261
Super Bleeder!!
Reynolds number user

Send a message via AIM to Super Bleeder!!
Re: beaterX project thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halon View Post
Get together and running good. Then sell and buy something that needs a lot less work to be fast.
plus juan
04 E55 AMG
Super Bleeder!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013   #1262
scheides
flips McGee

Put about 80 miles on it yesterday, no issues other than I need to gap my plugs down a tad. Car fucking rips! Everything else just seems like a compromise to this car. For a lot of reasons I'm stuck with only one car so the whole summer/winter car is really not an option for me. Everything else is more expensive, only RWD, or doesn't have near the power potential.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013   #1263
cmspaz
Walls need hugs too

Drives: V10 Touareg, Beater Jetta, Evo IX

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
Put about 80 miles on it yesterday, no issues other than I need to gap my plugs down a tad. Car fucking rips! Everything else just seems like a compromise to this car. For a lot of reasons I'm stuck with only one car so the whole summer/winter car is really not an option for me. Everything else is more expensive, only RWD, or doesn't have near the power potential.
James was saying last night that what surprised him the most wasn't how much power it has, but just how smooth it was. He said he'd never have considered a X but now it's for sure on his list of cars that he'd be willing to own based on sheer streetability with that kind of power.

You done good, sir.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor
Smart chicks are better. Personally I like a girl to give me her thesis on how to solve the economic crisis while I put it in her ass.
cmspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013   #1264
scheides
flips McGee

Compression, leakdown, and cam bucket measuring tonight. Remember Cyl#1 had the light broken spark plug damage to it:

Compression: 134 149 135 145

Leakdown: 30% 20% 20% 15% (cheap harbor freight tool--#1 def leaking past rings, but not horribly)

Head clearances (specs are intake .008 exhaust .012 both +/- 1):
Exhaust: (.009 | .009) (.010 | .011) (.010 | .011) (.011 | .012)
Intake: (.005 | .007) (.010 | .009) (.007 | .007) (.008 | .006)

After 120 miles no leaks, oil consumption is nil, and spark plug #1 looks ready for misfire (lots of carbon build-up probably from before head rebuild?). Happy-ish with compression, leakdown is not so bad but still makes me sad, and head clearances are not perfect but not horrible. I think next time I will request they end up more on the loose side but its fine for now.

Time for a little virtual dyno (if the snow melts) and moar boost, we'll see how she runs (snow or no snow) through the rest of the winter. She's not perfect, but fuck it--it's a DSM! :P
Quote:
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.

Last edited by scheides; 01-08-2013 at 08:58 AM..
Old 01-08-2013   #1265
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

Why is it a DSM?

It's not some old sports car that everyone beats the fuck out of and then is all surprised and cries when it breaks.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013   #1266
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Scheides you are a beast! I couldnt handle this much work on a regular basis haha. Also whats wrong with rwd! Get a cheap old vw for DD and a fun veeight summer car.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013   #1267
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Only 2 of 16 valves are [barely] within spec...is the machine shop going to take any responsibility for this?
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013   #1268
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

Yeah, the exhaust is WAY out of spec.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013   #1269
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by A//// Guy View Post
Scheides you are a beast! I couldnt handle this much work on a regular basis haha. Also whats wrong with rwd! Get a cheap old vw for DD and a fun veeight summer car.
Only one car for me! Some day when I have a bigger house, less expenses, etc I'll consider it but not gonna happen where I live now. Leaving a car outside for a few nights is no biggie but over time stupid shit happens in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
Only 2 of 16 valves are [barely] within spec...is the machine shop going to take any responsibility for this?
I'll talk to MAP and see what they want to do, I'm not super impressed but with everything else going on in my life I'm just kinda done worrying about it.

Quote:
Why is it a DSM?

It's not some old sports car that everyone beats the fuck out of and then is all surprised and cries when it breaks.
Tell that to murlo, trogdor or any other evoX owner (or me 2 years ago when the motor threw a ringland). :P
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 01-08-2013   #1270
scheides
flips McGee

fuck! Just noticed I had intake/exhaust values reversed in my post. Please review They're not *that* bad.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 01-08-2013   #1271
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Hey, now 7 of 16 are within spec. We're almost halfway there

IMO, machine shop owes you a redo, or a refund. I assume of course they had everything needed to properly measure/machine to these specs though? It's too bad MAP didn't have their machining equipment up and operational, unlucky timing for your vacation and their move

Last edited by Kracka; 01-08-2013 at 09:20 AM..
Old 01-08-2013   #1272
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

Any reason you had wagamon do it and not gosh? just curious

Quote:
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013   #1273
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

I probably shouldn't speak for Scheides, but I think it was basically who ever could get it done ASAP same/next day.
Old 01-08-2013   #1274
scheides
flips McGee

Yip. Gosh is da bomb, cards just fell another way this time.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 01-08-2013   #1275
simulatedwood

Drives: 08 Evolution X

The clearance numbers are a bit on the tight side, may burn some valves if you are not careful.
simulatedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013   #1276
cmspaz
Walls need hugs too

Drives: V10 Touareg, Beater Jetta, Evo IX

Quote:
Originally Posted by A//// Guy View Post
Scheides you are a beast! I couldnt handle this much work on a regular basis haha.
He really is, I kept trying to make it over to help with the head but never found time and he just hammered it out, I did make it over to help with the testing and checking last night though.

Quote:
fuck! Just noticed I had intake/exhaust values reversed in my post. Please review They're not *that* bad.
Haha, you did the same thing I did last night. Silly back-asswards 4B11.

That plug had a ton of deposits on it, looked like ash to me, probably a symptom of your #1 oil consumption.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor
Smart chicks are better. Personally I like a girl to give me her thesis on how to solve the economic crisis while I put it in her ass.
cmspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013   #1277
scheides
flips McGee

So, quick update on the X. Been driving it daily since January and VDR shows 580whp dynojet at 29psi and 600whp at 30 so the head is healthy and the motor is strong, but if you recall last fall I found this:

and when I pulled the head off for the rebuild I found this:

After getting the head rebuild and the car running again, the car has continued to burn more and more oil. Let'R buck has been my motto for a while but its gotten to 1 quart every 300 miles, even with driving nice. There's been several times that I'm getting ignition cutout from what I can only assume is excess oil in the cylinder and crank case pressure. I added a recirculation nipple on my intake for crank case vacuum but it made no difference.

Talked to MAP over the last few weeks and decided to just pull the trigger on getting this thing fixed: Ordered an 100% new OEM Shortblock that will keep the stock crank, receive MAP Ultimate duty rods, and wiseco standard bore pistons. This will basically be identical to my existing engine but no overbore and Wiseco's instead of JE's.

In May I plan on doing is yanking the longblock/trans and swapping everything over to the new shortblock, and drop it back in with fresh gaskets and a fresh clutch disc. What I'll have leftover will be an epic deal for someone: a sleevable core with a good crank, strong rods, and good pistons. One piston does have a small pit in it but I plan on disassembling the whole thing so the buyer knows exactly what they're getting into. A sleeved 2.0 setup is a solid $6k with core and if I can get $2k for mine someone will have one for more like $4k.

Side story, I'm tired of the Rotas. LOVE them, but when I put my OEM wheels on for winter I just really like how the car sits with them, very simple looking. KISS. Mine are beat to hell from the previous owner, so I found a clean set and will be rocking these this summer.

My plan is to have the motor broken-in and issues all sorted by June and ready for kicking arse at Proving Grounds. No stupid wastegate or clutch issues this year, just going fast. As excited as I am for this, I am laid-up out in Montana after a 46-mph (thank you gps) ski crash and a trashed ACL in my left knee. Shifting or even leaving from a stop is not going to be my strong suit for a while, so...who knows what the eff will happen.

Word to your moms.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV

Last edited by scheides; 03-30-2013 at 10:43 AM..
Old 03-29-2013   #1278
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord

Not seeing pics
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013   #1279
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlo26 View Post
Not seeing pics
What pics? All of them or do you think there's magically pics of the shortblock I don't have yet in here?

So, fun fact. I literally just posted this and I got the word from MAP: motor is done! Eff, now to figure out how to get this thing in with a bum leg...
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 03-29-2013   #1280
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord

Quote:
What pics? All of them or do you think there's magically pics of the shortblock I don't have yet in here?

So, fun fact. I literally just posted this and I got the word from MAP: motor is done! Eff, now to figure out how to get this thing in with a bum leg...
None that you reference in your post, none are showing up for me, maybe its just me.

Nice, glad your motor is done already!
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote