MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Old 12-17-2012   #1221
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance
Re: beaterX project thread

Things do just wear out on cars like this. Stiffer springs, more aggressive cam lobes, higher rpms, etc take their toll over time.
Old 12-17-2012   #1222
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane@DBPerformance View Post
Things do just wear out on cars like this. Stiffer springs, more aggressive cam lobes, higher rpms, etc take their toll over time.
You mean our 600whp+ race cars don't last forever!?

Sad times...bye bye money, bye bye.

But on a serious note, I would've hoped 40k miles would've been more likely but maybe ~20k is just time. That sucks.
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #1223
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

Are the supertechs dual springs? I'm not a head guru at all, but I always thought dual springs increased the pressure quite a bit, to the point I personally don't want to run them on a car I put a lot of miles on as I'd imagine that large increase in pressure would start to affect other things like valve seats and what-not. Would rather just run upgraded basic single springs, or beehive single springs if I needed something more than that.

But again, I'm no expert on that type of stuff so maybe I'm way off.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #1224
Murlo26

They are duals, I needed them though to handle my lift and not many other people have shown any issues with them. But not a lot of people DD with them and get to 20k miles +.

I think Scheides could've used the Kelford springs as they were designed for his cams but the supertechs have proven themselves for power anyway.

GSC also has some now for the X, not sure on the ratings though, I'd guess good enough for 8500rpms+ and their GSC s2's.
Old 12-17-2012   #1225
scheides
flips McGee

I have supertech duals. Wondering if they were overkill for the setup and caused premature wear? Not sure. Thinking of trying some more basic beehive springs instead this time; the supertechs have always been loud.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012   #1226
Halon
Pewp Champion

Exactly my thought, if you need them because you are reving that high, or running that aggressive of a cam profile, then OK. But if not, and they aren't necessary, a less aggressive spring may be better for longevity. That's where I always kind of thought beehives stood out, better than standard single springs, but gentler than duals.

I'm just a cheap ass and always run cheap Crower style singles and don't run extremely high lift cams, or try to rev to the moon.
Old 12-17-2012   #1227
Halon
Pewp Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlo26 View Post
They are duals, I needed them though to handle my lift and not many other people have shown any issues with them. But not a lot of people DD with them and get to 20k miles +.

I think Scheides could've used the Kelford springs as they were designed for his cams but the supertechs have proven themselves for power anyway.

GSC also has some now for the X, not sure on the ratings though, I'd guess good enough for 8500rpms+ and their GSC s2's.
GSC beehives I've always thought were awesome and what I'd buy if I was going all out. Again they are single springs so I think of them being gentler than duals. But they also seem to have extremely light titanium retainers (lighter than most of the competition) which also helps significantly. So you basically get dual spring performance out of a single spring setup.

I can't speak on the Evo X ones they make though, only just in general.
Old 12-17-2012   #1228
Murlo26

The X loves to rev high, like a honda basically, so I wanted maximum revs. Especially with the short gearing of the X, more revs helps.

Not sure what Scheides' feelings are but I'd vote to keep the high revs on this car. Just my thoughts, especially with a 2.0L motor.
Old 12-17-2012   #1229
Halon
Pewp Champion

BTW, I'd be surprised if GSC only rated their springs to 8500rpm. They usually seem to rate their beehive stuff to like 9-10k, even with aggressive cams.
Old 12-17-2012   #1230
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halon View Post
BTW, I'd be surprised if GSC only rated their springs to 8500rpm. They usually seem to rate their beehive stuff to like 9-10k, even with aggressive cams.
The reason I said 8500, I honestly haven't looked, is they only rate their GSC s2 cams on the X up to 8500. Or rather they recommend a rev range of 3500-8500 on them, so not sure what they really means.

You could be right though, I guess I'd have to check.

edit: checked while writing:

Says 9500rpms+ on MAPs website:

http://www.maperformance.com/gsc-pow...l#.UM-HAHfp5Jk

Id go with this springs/retainers if I had to all over again. They weren't out when I bought mine.
Old 12-27-2012   #1231
scheides
flips McGee

Got my ducks in a row, found a deal on some parts and pulled the trigger on a few goodies. You can probably guess what I got, but I'll wait until they're in my hand to say for sure :P

Head came off tonight. 4 hours flat, not bad for a computer dork and the fact that you have to strip the whole side of the engine down to get the timing cover off this thing. I still LOVE the 4b11's timing/oiling design over the 4G63, it is just simple.

Head gasket is clean as a whistle! I think the fact that the open-deck has less surface area between the head and the block lends to less likely headgasket issues, less hydrolic pressure to 'jack' the two apart. Seriously I'll hardly have to clean the block, surface, it's mint.

Bottom end is frickin MINT except for this carbon build-up. Yuck. But, walls are beautiful and pistons are in great shape otherwise!

more:

more build-up in the head too, maybe this is part of what's wrong. Doesn't seem to lend to the clearance problem I came across but it sure could help explain the leakdown results I had.

Day off tomorrow, gonna tear down the head and get it to the machine shop...then pray there are no complications or valve tappets miss-sized.
Quote:
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.

Last edited by scheides; 12-28-2012 at 10:24 AM..
Old 12-27-2012   #1232
mdost03

Sonic Champion!
Drives: VA STI

Good progress, this thing will be back on the road in no time!
mdost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012   #1233
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

Man this thing comes apart pretty often.
Will it be making more power then or just where it should be again when you are done?
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012   #1234
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Man this thing comes apart pretty often.
Will it be making more power then or just where it should be again when you are done?
Heh, I've put thousands of miles on it since the turbo stuff this summer. The shortblock has probably 21-22k on it, I drive it every day. I'm not not super happy it comes apart as often as it does but hey fix it quick and back on the road, that's my motto. No jack stands queen for me!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 12-28-2012   #1235
scheides
flips McGee

Head is off at the machine shop and I'm praying for a quick turn-around. Cleaning the block yesterday I scrub off all of the carbon build-up and there's one chunk that won't wipe away (also notice the pitting):

Finally I move on to the others and move that piston to the bottom of the cylinder and realize that I may have overlooked something during my initial inspection. After cleaning it up I was able to find this:

This is the cylinder that the spark plug broke on My nail *slightly* catches on a few of these marks unfortunately.

At this point I have to look at the facts:
-compression was good in this cylinder
-leakdown test showed leakage in the valves, not the rings
-while not the whole problem, this may have been contributing to the oil consumption issue.

DSM'er in me (and my wife) are forcing me to finish fixing the head and spend the couple hours it will take to re-assemble it and get it back on the road. I cannot afford the downtime required to fully fix it right now; the block is already .020" over and will need to be sleeved if it comes out again. Once it's back together I'll re-test compression/leakdown and watch oil consumption and then keep an eye out for a good core to get sleeved.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 12-28-2012   #1236
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

That scoring doesnt look good but could you do a quick hone while you have the head off? Just to get it a little smoother.

Yea id just put the head back on and letter buck, see what compression is after that.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012   #1237
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

Ouch, that doesn't look very good. It shouldn't cause any catastrophic issues, so you can plan for a rebuild down the road a little ways. It looks like some signs of detonation on your pistons also, there are some craters in them.

If your fingernail catches them they are usually at least .002" deep. If they are less than .005" deep you could bore it .030" over (since you are .020" over already) and get rid of the scratches. Can the stock block take .030" over?

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012   #1238
scheides
flips McGee

I don't think honing it with the piston still in is a very good idea, if I fix it I'll fix it 'right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Ouch, that doesn't look very good. It shouldn't cause any catastrophic issues, so you can plan for a rebuild down the road a little ways. It looks like some signs of detonation on your pistons also, there are some craters in them.

If your fingernail catches them they are usually at least .002" deep. If they are less than .005" deep you could bore it .030" over (since you are .020" over already) and get rid of the scratches. Can the stock block take .030" over?

I think the craters are from the same thing that caused the scratches, none of the other cylinders have them

If the block comes out it's getting sleeved, .020" is already risky enough on this block.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 12-28-2012   #1239
simulatedwood

Drives: 08 Evolution X

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
This is the cylinder that the spark plug broke on My nail *slightly* catches on a few of these marks unfortunately.

At this point I have to look at the facts:
-compression was good in this cylinder
-leakdown test showed leakage in the valves, not the rings
-while not the whole problem, this may have been contributing to the oil consumption issue.

DSM'er in me (and my wife) are forcing me to finish fixing the head and spend the couple hours it will take to re-assemble it and get it back on the road. I cannot afford the downtime required to fully fix it right now; the block is already .020" over and will need to be sleeved if it comes out again. Once it's back together I'll re-test compression/leakdown and watch oil consumption and then keep an eye out for a good core to get sleeved.
It will be fine, even with the little bit of damage that is there, all it will do is possibly cause some blow-by and oil consumption. power-wise you will be splitting hairs. Just check the oil occasionally and let r buck!
simulatedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012   #1240
Halon
Pewp Champion

Kind of reminds me of the scratches/dings I had in my 1 cylinder when I had a valve fail on me. I had taken the pistons/rods out, so I ran a hone through mine but even after that I could still just barely feel them with my finger nail. I ran it like that. That one cylinder always had liek 5-10psi less compression than the others, but it ran fine, didn't consume any oil that I could ever tell. I made my highest dyno numbers, and ran my 10sec pass with the motor like that.

I'd honestly just let er buck. It may not be perfect, but that's OK sometimes. It may prove to hardly make a noticeable difference at all.