MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 08-22-2008   #101
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon
Re: Engine Clanking -WTF!!!

Thanks. There is still a squirter in #1, so it must be from one of the other cylinders. The other cylinders seemed to be fairly debris free though, like not much metal flakes/chunks got in them. I wonder if that thing has been broken off and laying in there for a long time...
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #102
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

Just one more reason I didn't bother with oil squirters in my 2.4 builds. They are so delicate from the factory, it's not uncommon for them to just snap off for no reason. If I do build another motor for something specific like the standing mile, I'll probably adapt some from the LS7 motors.

I'm here, feel free to stop by B-dawggy.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #103
Halon
Pewp Champion

Steve, I'm going to stop by shortly I think. I found that the squirter was from the #2 cylinder, and I just got the rest of the squirter assembly out. So now I just need to locate someone with a spare oil squirter.
Old 08-22-2008   #104
Halon
Pewp Champion

Just bought a barely used single Eagle rod off someone on the link forums for $75 shipped!

MAP is able to order me a new single Mahle piston. Just have to make sure I get the correct overbore size before I do it.

The other 3 pistons/rods are removed and they all look to be in good shape as far as I can tell.

I may be able to have this thing back up and running quicker than I thought
Old 08-22-2008   #105
polishmafia
Smells like cat poop

Drives: an evo's fat korean cousin

Great to hear!
polishmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #106
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Thats good news!
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #107
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

badass, glad to hear.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #108
Kevin 1G Drummer

Drives: Silver '02 IS300, Blue '06 Suzuki SV1000

Awesome, I'm glad you're getting it squared away!
Old 08-22-2008   #109
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

Will the piston be given away as a door prize at the cookout?
Old 08-22-2008   #110
brando

Drives: gutlass
Send a message via AIM to brando Send a message via MSN to brando Send a message via Yahoo to brando

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
Will the piston be given away as a door prize at the cookout?
hope so
brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #111
Halon
Pewp Champion

I actually do plan on bringing it to the dyno day
Old 08-23-2008   #112
Halon
Pewp Champion

Left the swap meet today at DB with a 2G head for cheap, thanks a ton Andrew!!! I'm going to be bringing it up to Northern Cylinder Head up here in the Blaine area and have him check it out and deck it if need be. Also will be porting the intake runners to match to my SMIM.
Old 08-25-2008   #113
Halon
Pewp Champion

Rod showed up today in the mail. Still looks like it's new!!
Old 10-13-2008   #114
Halon
Pewp Champion

OK so I have:

-1 slightly used Eagle Rod
-New Mahle piston/rings
-New ACL Race bearings
-2G head from Andrew (thanks again man), w/ Crower Springs/retainers. Currently getting a make-over by Northern Cylinder Head located in Andover. Jet will also be doing some port work to it.

I'm getting ready to put it all back together. I have a question regarding what to file the ring gaps too. Any recommendations out there?

Last edited by Halon; 10-13-2008 at 09:40 PM..
Old 10-14-2008   #115
EclipseGST

Checkers Champion! Crash Test Danny Champion! Get A Grip Champion!
Drives: Short Bus
Send a message via AIM to EclipseGST Send a message via Yahoo to EclipseGST

You had MAP build the motor originally didnt you? They should have the paperwork on it stating what they were originally gapped at. I would give them a call or email and see what they have to say.

Try to keep it the same even though its new.
EclipseGST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008   #116
Halon
Pewp Champion

OK got the ring measurements from MAP.

Now, I'm looking at cleaning the crap out of the motor with some contact cleaner, and then begin reassembly. I have NEVER done this before, and I have questions.

1: The old rod bearings looked pretty decent, but I bought new ACL Race bearings that I want to throw in anyway just to be safe. What do you guys use to lube them? I've read everything from just oil, to moly lube, to white lithium grease. And do you lube both sides of the bearings? Also, I keep reading that you have to check the bearing clearance, but I have never used plastigauge before either. Anyone care to try and explain? Then if I figure out how to use it, and the clearance is wrong, well then what the hell do I do?

2. Do I need to lube the cylinder walls and piston skirts? Remember that 3 of these are still the same pistons/rings that came out, and are going right back in without any changes.

3. Do I have to lube the piston/rod pin before I put it in?
Old 10-22-2008   #117
EclipseGST

Checkers Champion! Crash Test Danny Champion! Get A Grip Champion!
Drives: Short Bus
Send a message via AIM to EclipseGST Send a message via Yahoo to EclipseGST

1. Yes, I would highly suggest using new bearings. You're already in there and I dont think you can just buy bearings for 1 rod, so might as well replace them all. I use "Lubriplate" assembly grease. Comes in a white bottle with a blue cap. Lube the side that touches the crank ONLY. If you lube the other side, chances are the bearing with spin. Make sure you clean them up really well before installing. Even though they are packaged good, they can still have dirt on them. Basically by cleaning them up you are inspecting them for any defects or damages.

Plasti-gauge is pretty simple. Find out the factory clearance, get the correct plasti-gauge, assemble the crank/rods/block DRY. DO NOT... READ: DO FUCKING NOT turn the crank over dry. I'm guessing you are replacing the main bearings too? Or is the crank still bolted into the block, untouched? Disassemble and check the plasti-gauge with the gauge on the packaging that it comes in. I'm sure it will be in spec. If not, measure the bearings seeing those are the easiest to fuck up, then check crank journal and rod journal sizes. Go from there.

2. Use ATF (automatic transmission fluid). Put some on a non-dust/lint rag/towel and wipe out the cylinders for any dirt/debris. Coat the entire piston in ATF, rings and all. I usually cut a QT bottle in half and dunk the whole piston in, rings and all while attached to the rod and the rod is sticking out of the container. Lube up all 4 as its much easier to work with it even though the other 3 are used. It doesnt hurt anything, just makes things much easier and better safe then sorry.

3. Are you putting the piston on the rod yourself? Minor lube on the pin will help, DO NOT force the pin into the piston/rod with a hammer or any other type of tooling. Easiest way I found was throw the pin in the freezer for 20mins, then heat the rod slightly with a torch, dont get it red, just warm. Put the pin lock rings in one side of the piston, when the rod is ready, the pin should slip right in and sit against the lock ring, then just put the lock rings in the other side and you should be good to go. Just make sure there isnt much side to side play and the piston/rod move freely. Compare to the 3 used ones.

Disclaimer: This is just part of my methods/techniques, they are my opinion, some have different ways of doing things. I'm not saying these ways are the only or best way of doing it. I just found it to be the way I am most comfortable with. Take them as you wish. Good luck!
EclipseGST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008   #118
brando

Drives: gutlass
Send a message via AIM to brando Send a message via MSN to brando Send a message via Yahoo to brando

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseGST View Post
1. Yes, I would highly suggest using new bearings. You're already in there and I dont think you can just buy bearings for 1 rod, so might as well replace them all. I use "Lubriplate" assembly grease. Comes in a white bottle with a blue cap. Lube the side that touches the crank ONLY. If you lube the other side, chances are the bearing with spin. Make sure you clean them up really well before installing. Even though they are packaged good, they can still have dirt on them. Basically by cleaning them up you are inspecting them for any defects or damages.

Plasti-gauge is pretty simple. Find out the factory clearance, get the correct plasti-gauge, assemble the crank/rods/block DRY. DO NOT... READ: DO FUCKING NOT turn the crank over dry. I'm guessing you are replacing the main bearings too? Or is the crank still bolted into the block, untouched? Disassemble and check the plasti-gauge with the gauge on the packaging that it comes in. I'm sure it will be in spec. If not, measure the bearings seeing those are the easiest to fuck up, then check crank journal and rod journal sizes. Go from there.

2. Use ATF (automatic transmission fluid). Put some on a non-dust/lint rag/towel and wipe out the cylinders for any dirt/debris. Coat the entire piston in ATF, rings and all. I usually cut a QT bottle in half and dunk the whole piston in, rings and all while attached to the rod and the rod is sticking out of the container. Lube up all 4 as its much easier to work with it even though the other 3 are used. It doesnt hurt anything, just makes things much easier and better safe then sorry.

3. Are you putting the piston on the rod yourself? Minor lube on the pin will help, DO NOT force the pin into the piston/rod with a hammer or any other type of tooling. Easiest way I found was throw the pin in the freezer for 20mins, then heat the rod slightly with a torch, dont get it red, just warm. Put the pin lock rings in one side of the piston, when the rod is ready, the pin should slip right in and sit against the lock ring, then just put the lock rings in the other side and you should be good to go. Just make sure there isnt much side to side play and the piston/rod move freely. Compare to the 3 used ones.

Disclaimer: This is just part of my methods/techniques, they are my opinion, some have different ways of doing things. I'm not saying these ways are the only or best way of doing it. I just found it to be the way I am most comfortable with. Take them as you wish. Good luck!

i do pretty much the same thing. i usually dont coat the piston's in anything tho coating the cylender's is usually goo enough most the time we dont even do that
brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008   #119
dsm9sec
Banned

Drives: ... More than you can afford, pal

I coat the cylinder walls with regular oil, whatever's laying around.

Forcing the pin into the rod? I've never rebuilt a stock block and I'm sure Brandon's using forged pistons/rods. But yeah, usually the machine shop does it with a press and a torch.

Brandon, if the clearance is wrong for rod bearings I'd just buy new rods. You may be able to have them line honed though. If the mains are out of spec then you need to get the block line honed.

Also when you're doing final assembly, tap the crank with a brass hammer to seat the thrust bearing properly. I know someone who didn't and he crank walked the shit out of his motor.

Last edited by dsm9sec; 10-23-2008 at 02:24 AM..
dsm9sec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008   #120
Halon
Pewp Champion

The mains are NOT getting replaced. The crank is still in the car, in the block, untouched.

Thanks for the pointers, hopefully I can make some progress this weekend.

Yes I was planning on putting the rod/piston together myself. It's a Mahle piston on an Eagle Rod, floating pin style.