MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2006   #21
mdost03

Sonic Champion!
Drives: VA STI
Re: big bore kit for 420a

Well, my friend went on the dyno with his RS-T and made 210 hp and 214 lb tq at 6 psi at the wheels. That already makes the same as a stock GS-T's hp at the crank. So, if you think about, yes I can beat a slightly modded GS-T. I have done it before.

I plan on rebuilding my engine with some forged pistons and rods and then get a few fuel upgrades and I will be boosting around 15 psi, which should equal around 300 whp. The 420a is a more modern design compared to the 4G63. Sure, a stock GS-T is going to make more power right away, but it doesn't take much on an RS or GS to make it right up there with it.

Last edited by mdost03; 11-20-2006 at 12:12 AM..
Old 11-20-2006   #22
Tauni
Mazda-ing

Drives: 2013 Mazdaspeed3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst95eclipse View Post
How is it easier to work on a 4g63 compared to a 420a? My RS was much more friendly when wrenching on it. My advice to you would be to build the bottom end. There is no way that you'll be able to keep up with a GST with a 16g. Plus you can run something a bit bigger. Only rods and pistons with some clevite bearings and you're in bidness.
It was just easier for me. But like I said, I had friends who were CONSTANTLY showing me things about them. And I did WAY more work on my 4g63t then the 420A.
Old 11-20-2006   #23
AwdGSX13

Drives: Cars

your gonna make more power out of a 4g63...because its already built for a turbo. 4g63 parts = dime a dozen. and BTW 4g63 is easy as hell to work on... oh and having a turbo'd eclipse/talon is better because over all the stock suspension ect. is better than an RS. You get more bang for the buck with TSI/GSX/GS-T

'94 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
'06 Acura TL

Last edited by AwdGSX13; 11-20-2006 at 01:32 PM..
Old 11-20-2006   #24
mdost03

Sonic Champion!

What is the difference in suspension between a GST and GS and RS? Only thing different is they have rear disc brakes on a GST. I already have my suspension upgraded anyways. All 4 cylinder engines are easy to work on, it's just what you are used to tinkering on. I find it easy to work on my 420a, but when my friend's bros GS-T was having problems, we could figure it out fairly easily. If you know what to look for in general, it's usually easy to figure out problems.

I guess it's just where you live for parts because down here I can find many parts easily for my car. The 420a was also used in the Sebring and Avenger cars and also some Neon parts are interchangeable.

I'm not here to start a war between 4G63 and 420a. I'm just here to help people out with what they want to do. IMO, a 420a is not a bad engine at all. I've had my car for over 2 years now and over 30,000 miles driven and there hasn't been ANYTHING (knock on wood) that has gone wrong engine wise with it. It has been my best car i've owned. Even after turbo'ing it, she still is kickin.
Old 11-20-2006   #25
AwdGSX13

im not hating on a 420a... im just saying the better route is to begin with an already turbo'd eclipse/talon... that way you can buy other things first other than going straight into a motor rebuild and having to buy a turbo kit... thats lots of $$$. i suppose if he already has the N/A car then maybe it is maybe it isnt. Personal choice.

'94 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
'06 Acura TL
Old 11-20-2006   #26
blesi660r

Drives: 07-gsxr 750, 93 talon tsi awd

man a 4g63 is an awsome motor i love gs-t's. but i have what i have and thats what i got to work with. and totaleclips_05 he pretty much out lined what i am doing, forged pistons and rods a total bullet prof re-build is what i am going for. i havent seen personaly a bult up 420a so that is what is sparking my flame for this project! and my GS has all four disc brakes i freekin love it! and if down the road i get board i will try and attempt a 1g to 2g swap! all of my plans are not going to happen at once! i am pretty much geting the basic out line of where i am going to start thas what this whole topic was supposed to be about.

thanks for all of the input KEEP it comein i like hering what people have to say about this topic!
Old 11-21-2006   #27
mdost03

Sonic Champion!

Hey blesi660r, if you check out some of the threads on DSMTuners in the 420a section, a guy just recently made about 450 whp on the 420a with mostly tuning as the major modification. The 420a responds extremely well to boost surprisingly. He also ran a mid 11 I think using stock axles, no LSD, and slicks. He has videos and slips to prove it all. He also ran 16 psi on a stock engine from valve cover to oil pan for a whole year before he decided to build up the engine. So it pretty much comes down to how well your tuning is for your car. He is running a Hahn Portfueler for tuning and his name on tuners is awddynamite.
Old 11-21-2006   #28
AwdGSX13

GL on the build..

'94 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
'06 Acura TL
Old 11-21-2006   #29
DSMcrazy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-pride View Post
I wish this guy the best of luck with his build and I hope he does not get dissapointed 5k later and find that he can barely break the 13's.
Good luck.

I'm new to this site, and don't want to come off on the wrong foot but...

Turbo kit: $1500
Built motor: $1200
MSnS: $350
Wideband: $300
Axles: $500
LSD: $1000

Those are all rough estimates based on my knowledge thus far. However, those mods should easily propel the car into the 12's with a fairly experienced driver.(which isn't hard to achieve with a bit of practice.)

I have a 420a-T and am the one Total Eclipse is talking about who put down 214 hp on the dyno with stock block at 6 psi.
Old 11-21-2006   #30
x-pride

Drives: She is 22, black, slow and does not play fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMcrazy3 View Post
I'm new to this site, and don't want to come off on the wrong foot but...

Turbo kit: $1500
Built motor: $1200
MSnS: $350
Wideband: $300
Axles: $500
LSD: $1000

Those are all rough estimates based on my knowledge thus far. However, those mods should easily propel the car into the 12's with a fairly experienced driver.(which isn't hard to achieve with a bit of practice.)

I have a 420a-T and am the one Total Eclipse is talking about who put down 214 hp on the dyno with stock block at 6 psi.
Not the 12's unless the turbo kit comes with fuel upgrades(fuel pump, bigger injectors, fuel pressure regulator and some sort of AFC not including the missing link). Than there is the exhaust system you will be needing because the stock exhuast is restictive. Than there is tuning. Good price on the motor build but I don't think you can get a fully built 420a for that price. Maybe a short block. So, honestly how much have you put into you 420a-T to get 214hp and what are your mods.
Have you got a chance to run a slightly moded 4g63t? If not would you like to run one?
Old 11-21-2006   #31
AwdGSX13

^ agreed , maybe you should try running a slightly modified 4g63t you might just be disappointed.

'94 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
'06 Acura TL
Old 11-21-2006   #32
blesi660r

Drives: 07-gsxr 750, 93 talon tsi awd

welcome to the site! thanks for the info! how much boost can the block hold thats what i am woundering the most, forged internals are in the very near future along with some crane cams i know they can handel tons of boost but will my block beable to!
Old 11-21-2006   #33
mdost03

Sonic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-pride View Post
Not the 12's unless the turbo kit comes with fuel upgrades(fuel pump, bigger injectors, fuel pressure regulator and some sort of AFC not including the missing link). Than there is the exhaust system you will be needing because the stock exhuast is restictive. Than there is tuning. Good price on the motor build but I don't think you can get a fully built 420a for that price. Maybe a short block. So, honestly how much have you put into you 420a-T to get 214hp and what are your mods.
Have you got a chance to run a slightly moded 4g63t? If not would you like to run one?
You can include those costs with the turbo kit. Walbro 255 is about 100, SFMU (which you can tune with basically) for about 200-300, injectors (He recently picked up some Accel 30lb injectors for $40) are about 200 brand new if you can find a deal. Missing Link or FCD is roughly 20-40. Can pick up a Tsudo 3" exhaust for 200-300 shipped (basically Apexi N1, but better). Motor build all you need is lower compression forged pistons and some rods and you are in business. It has been proven to handle 15+ psi with just those. You can get those for around 1000 and if you install them yourself, you can save some money there.

Yes we have run a slightly modded GS-T. His brother is running 15 psi and we can both beat him. You all say you aren't talking down the 420a, but really you are. I agree that the 4G63 is a good engine, great engine actually. It has been proven time and time again to take beatings and come back for more. People assume the 420a has no potential though because it originally is a NT engine and made by Dodge/Chrysler. If me personally had about 5-6 grand and I could either get a RS/GS or GST, I would definitely go with an RS/GS. Besides the fact that DSMCrazy's bro has had numerous problems with his GST and my cousin as well just had his GST (with brand new rebuilt 6 bolt, brand new EVO3 16g, etc.) shit the bed, I really don't want to take my chances. Also, you can't really find a GST for under that price that is in good condition as you can with the RS/GS. If you can, that soaks up most of your cash because it will probably be right around that price. You can find many RS/GS's around 2-3 grand nowadays if you look hard enough, I know you can down here easily. That leaves you with that much more to spend on upgrades and maintenance if need be.

Sorry I typed so much, just trying to get my point and views across to everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blesi660r View Post
welcome to the site! thanks for the info! how much boost can the block hold thats what i am woundering the most, forged internals are in the very near future along with some crane cams i know they can handel tons of boost but will my block beable to!
You can find most of these answers by visiting 2gnt.com and DSMTuners in the 420a section. Do a little researching and you will find more info than you can stomach haha. These are both great resources for info about our cars. Make an effort to do a little searching before you post though. Most of the guys on there are very knowledgeable and have probably heard your questions a million times and get a little aggitated when they have to keep repeating themselves.

Last edited by mdost03; 11-21-2006 at 09:52 PM..
Old 11-21-2006   #34
DSMcrazy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blesi660r View Post
Each motor is different. Most people don't go over 8 psi, and that's with a 12:1 FMU and walbro 255 on stock injectors. With upgraded injectors, S-FMU and the walbro you can get up to probably 10 safely(granted compression #'s are good) but that's still considered pushing it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-pride
Not the 12's unless the turbo kit comes with fuel upgrades(fuel pump, bigger injectors, fuel pressure regulator and some sort of AFC not including the missing link).
Like total said the walbro 255 is normally what people go with in the kits and they aren't too expensinve. Also that deals are availible for injectors for not much and the S-FMU is a common purchase when going turbo. Especially for those with serious plans of rebuilding.

As for the AFC, that's what MSnS is (Megasquirt and spark). That's the tuning program that nearly all big powered 420a's are running. As for the actual tune, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to use megasquirt. There is the megasquirt forum as well as the 420a management forum on DSMtuners to read up on, not to mention 2gnt.

Quote:
Good price on the motor build but I don't think you can get a fully built 420a for that price. Maybe a short block.
Well the 420a head was designed by Lotus, and is much newer than the 4g63 head. Not much really needs to be done to the head...Not for a good while. Hahn reached the 11's with their 420a running a completely stock head.

Quote:
So, honestly how much have you put into you 420a-T to get 214hp and what are your mods.
At the time of my dyno my mods were:

Garrett/aiResearch T3 60 trim
Ebay manifold
2.5 turbo back exhaust
12:1 FMU
Walbro 255 lph
2g SMIC

6 psi

As for money, now I've probably put around $3000 total(mods) into my car, that's just a rough estimate though..
Old 11-22-2006   #35
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

People are just saying that the 4g63 is a better bang for the buck. You can make over 450whp on stock internals. Save the money for the rebuild and just upgrade to a Tsi, not to mention you could go AWD!

There is nothing wrong with the 420a, the 4g63 just has more possibilities. You could put down 214 whp with $300 in mods with a DSM.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
Old 11-22-2006   #36
DSMcrazy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
People are just saying that the 4g63 is a better bang for the buck. You can make over 450whp on stock internals. Save the money for the rebuild and just upgrade to a Tsi, not to mention you could go AWD!

There is nothing wrong with the 420a, the 4g63 just has more possibilities. You could put down 214 whp with $300 in mods with a DSM.

Show me a 4g63 putting down 450+ at the wheels with some proof it's running stock internals..

As for the second part... Re-read what you typed...

He already said he's working with what he's got. The 420a.

PS: Stick with the 420a
Old 11-22-2006   #37
Super Bleeder!!
Reynolds number user

Send a message via AIM to Super Bleeder!!

http://www.rizzottiracing.com/

stock 4g63 record, 585awhp, 10.5@133
04 E55 AMG
Old 11-22-2006   #38
Super Bleeder!!
Reynolds number user

Send a message via AIM to Super Bleeder!!

also, a fellow on this very board by the name of Nash had his stock motor'd daily driver talon up to 550whp for years.
04 E55 AMG
Old 11-22-2006   #39
Tauni
Mazda-ing

Drives: 2013 Mazdaspeed3

Quote:
Show me a 4g63 putting down 450+ at the wheels with some proof it's running stock internals..

You're kind of rude.

If he wants to stick with the 420a, good for him! It would be a good project! But as they have ALL said so far, 4g63t is more bang for the buck simply because you can pay less and get more. Its like Target! Persoanlly, I don't think any of us would buuild a 420a, but hey to each their own! All I'm saying, you might as well be building a Neon! I should know.
Old 11-22-2006   #40
TheBlizzard

Drives: Too Many
Send a message via AIM to TheBlizzard Send a message via MSN to TheBlizzard

Quote:

There have been numerous 4G63's that have put down 450+. Sell your car. Oh yeah and don't get too mouth buddy, we don't know you.
Closed Thread