MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 09-18-2010   #1
DSM-is-LOVE
Dream Motors All Day!

Drives: 03 Evo VIII
Send a message via AIM to DSM-is-LOVE
Electrical Issues.

My Spyder is acting up in such a terrible fashion. So about 2 months ago I got a tune done by Shane at DB. He said before he could get the car back to me it needed a new battery cause the old one was shot. So I took the old "Yellow Top" Optima out and shane put in the new one and then gave the car back all tuned and ready to go. I never usually let my car sit for more than a day or 2 without driving it. Well, I let it sit for 3 days in my parent's garage, and the battery was completely dead. I put in on a tender, and watched the needle bounce for half an hour, which means the cell is dead. The new battery I put in was a "Red Top" Optima. When the car was running and driving, Sometimes when I would cruise down the road, the dash light, and headlights would flicker, but only at certain RPM's, as well as the higher the RPM, 2 of my dash lights would progressively light up. As well since the battery has died, my check engine light came back on, but my tune was still there.

I don't know where to start looking. I think it is a bad body ground, but it seems way too worse... Any idea's or help with where I could look, or start to look?
Old 09-19-2010   #2
bertrenolds5

Drives: 91 eagle talon GST
Re: Electrical Issues.

Check the battery to altanator and ground harness and make sure it's not corroded or grounding out somewhere. I think your right to suspect a grounding issue, could be an interior light in the car that is burnt out or a door switch thats bad. Just gotta start searching with an idiot light or voltage meter.
Old 09-20-2010   #3
DSM-is-LOVE
Dream Motors All Day!

Drives: 03 Evo VIII
Send a message via AIM to DSM-is-LOVE

My power locks don't work, but i never thought that it could do that to a whole electrical system? I will start digging into it tomorrow, haven't had a good chance to yet.
Old 10-20-2010   #4
my2cent

Drives: 99 gsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM-is-LOVE View Post
My power locks don't work, but i never thought that it could do that to a whole electrical system? I will start digging into it tomorrow, haven't had a good chance to yet.

Hey, did u ever founded out what was your issue? Im having such a big problem with my car right now. It started with a bad alt. and blown 100a fuse. I replaced the alt. and fuse along with a different battery. Still im having electrical issue. My battery keeps draining out and my accessory is not working in my car.
my2cent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010   #5
Alpha D
Got Boost o_O'' m

Drives: 1991 Eagle Talon TSI AWD Spooling Fiddy Trim Style

Do a parasitic draw test see if you have something thats staying on. allowable current draw on any car, or generic number is about .030-.050amps if its more then that. Hook up a DVOM in series with your battery negative cable so the DVOM completes the circuit. Now a have an assistant help you pull fuses and see if the current draw goes down after pulling a fuse (one at a time) if the draw goes away you have found your problem. That is if you have a parasitic draw. Start with the big things like: Cleaning battery terminals-visually checking if any appliances stay on-check wiring from alternator making sure its tight and clean charging the battery properly etc.
Alpha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010   #6
my2cent

Is any electronic guru here? My car has major electrical issue. Will pay for services.
Old 10-25-2010   #7
Alpha D
Got Boost o_O'' m

Drives: 1991 Eagle Talon TSI AWD Spooling Fiddy Trim Style

not a guru but can try and help. make a thread
Alpha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010   #8
my2cent

Unhappy Re: Electrical Issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha D View Post
not a guru but can try and help. make a thread
Thanks tho! (Apha D) Im afraid my issue is bigger than that. I need a good recommendation to a shop that is knowledgable about elecrtical system. Also wont over charge me.