MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Old 08-13-2010   #61
311evo

Drives: Evo VIII and 96' Buick Park Ave
Send a message via MSN to 311evo
Re: Project:No replacment for displacment.

Having a DD fun street car > competitive weekend parking lot racer.

But, that's what he enjoys and likes to do. I would expect him to do what he needs to to his car in order to be competitive. You could always move up a class.
311evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010   #62
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311evo View Post
Having a DD fun street car > competitive weekend parking lot racer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
How is a stock C5 Z06 not a fun street car?
Took the words out of my mouth.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010   #63
MustGoFaster

Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion!
Drives: A big dirty V8
Send a message via ICQ to MustGoFaster Send a message via AIM to MustGoFaster Send a message via Yahoo to MustGoFaster Send a message via Skype™ to MustGoFaster

Matt D seems to be all over it. But I can honestly say if the C5Z didn't have a class in AX that it was competitive in, I probably wouldn't have bought it. Therefore it seems dumb to not make the car legal for the form of competition I bought it for. I’m not ripping the AC out so no ASP.

Kevin, the statement of "From now on all racing occurs on a closed course." was made because I'm making the car slower in a straight line. The thought in my head was if you want to race come to an AX and beat my time. Race ME and my car.
Old 08-13-2010   #64
TheBlizzard

Drives: Too Many
Send a message via AIM to TheBlizzard Send a message via MSN to TheBlizzard

Matt D why are always trying to start drama, Scheides (unless im reading it wrong) was implying that he wouldn't demod for Auto X, and his post was by no means calling Ryan a dumbass or anything. I swear some of you are such whiny dorks, just remember no matter how bad ass you sound on this car forum it will never make up for your getting picked on in high school.

Who gives a crap anyway, its his car to do what he wants with it, you guys are acting like he is going from a 900whp Corvette back to stock, it has very minimal mods on it that will take an hour to remove. The car in stock trim is still sweet either way.
TheBlizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010   #65
scheides
flips McGee

Thanx biz, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. I ain't hatin I'm just for easy power gains and loud pipes (they do save lives!). Sweet ride stock or not, Just have fun with it, that's all I ask.
Quote:
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010   #66
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlizzard View Post
Matt D why are always trying to start drama, Scheides (unless im reading it wrong) was implying that he wouldn't demod for Auto X, and his post was by no means calling Ryan a dumbass or anything. I swear some of you are such whiny dorks, just remember no matter how bad ass you sound on this car forum it will never make up for your getting picked on in high school.

Who gives a crap anyway, its his car to do what he wants with it, you guys are acting like he is going from a 900whp Corvette back to stock, it has very minimal mods on it that will take an hour to remove. The car in stock trim is still sweet either way.
See to me that is stupid. The point of competing and actually spending money it to compete. If you can't be competitive at that level, find a different level you can be competitive in, it makes it much more fun. Plus a stock zo6 > modded evo on the street any day of the week IMHO.

I won't touch on the "sounding badass" comment as we really don't want to turn this into a shit storm of a thread, I will just let it go out of respect for ryan in his build thread.

Since the RULES of a build thread are to stay on topic, the above quoted post, and any posts stemming from that should be deleted as they are off topic banter.
niterydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010   #67
MustGoFaster

Send a message via ICQ to MustGoFaster Send a message via AIM to MustGoFaster Send a message via Yahoo to MustGoFaster Send a message via Skype™ to MustGoFaster

As this is my build thread, I'll make an update.

Before I made my first de-modding post I had already purchased and picked up stock exhaust manifolds and stock Mid pipes (cats built in, mid pipes run from the manifolds to the rear suspension) I'll be using the Magnaflow mufflers the car came with since they are legal.

In addition to that my trailer hitch and stock intake/air box have arrived.
I expect my stock shifter should show up on Monday.
I have some time worked out to get the parts put on, just need to get some gaskets and basic install stuff.

Hopefully my Hoosiers and seconds set of wheels will show up Friday.

Yes you read that right, I said trailer hitch. That's mostly since it's very difficult(impossible?) to fit four huge (295 front, 315 rear) tires inside the car and all the other AX stuff. Since I have more power and less weight than most trucks on the road, toting around ~600-800lbs of gear on the back should be no issue.
Old 08-14-2010   #68
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

Trailer hitch ftw. Thats using for dipstick jimmy.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010   #69
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlizzard View Post

Drama? It's tiring getting ragged on by guys like scheides who refuse to understand why guys like Ryan and I do what we to our cars for autocross.

Ryan, are you going to be driving this car in SS/ASP/SSM/etc. at Lincoln?

Quote:
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Old 08-15-2010   #70
MustGoFaster

The point of doing it now it to run Super Stock at Nationals. Currently and likely to stay THE biggest class at nationals (60 drivers, of 1176 total divers in 71 different classes). I'm not expecting to do great, about half the ~14 trophies will be taken by previous winners. If I'm mid-pack I'll be happy considering Nat's will be my 3rd or 4th event driving it, and probably my seconds driving it on Hoosiers.
Old 08-15-2010   #71
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

Drives: Conquest

You going with some sort of dead-deer rack to plug into the hitch receiver, or a little trailer?
FattyBoomBatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010   #72
MustGoFaster

A little trailer. To save some $$ this year I'm going to borrow my neighbor's 5x8 utility trailer. Next year maybe find a little 4x4 trailer and build a tire trailer specifically.
Old 08-16-2010   #73
slowbubblecar
Big Turbo Monster

Drives: GTS and E55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustGoFaster View Post
That's mostly since it's very difficult(impossible?) to fit four huge (295 front, 315 rear) tires inside the car and all the other AX stuff.
Is that the factory sizing of the tires on the C5 or are the race wheels wider? Didn't know they were that wide on a vette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D. View Post
Drama? It's tiring getting ragged on by guys like scheides who refuse to understand why guys like Ryan and I do what we to our cars for autocross.
I think the issue is that most people do what they do for fun and not necessarily to be the best. There aren't many people on this board who do any competitive racing. Most people build the car they way they like it on the street and possibly go the the track with the goal of having fun and seeing how good they can do.

7/25/09
Motorcycle cop pulls up next to me on UNI and says "Want to race?"
Me- "I don't think you would stand a chance."
Cop says "probably not" and drives off.
slowbubblecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #74
Pushit2.0
15min late to the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbubblecar View Post
Is that the factory sizing of the tires on the C5 or are the race wheels wider? Didn't know they were that wide on a vette.
What he is saying is fitting the tire/rim combo inside the corvette, he is driving the car to the event but on street tires then changing out for the wider slick combo when he gets to the track.

From what I have heard these are the best tires he can put on the car and run in this class. This eliminates any driver error, and will point Ryan in the right direction.
Old 08-16-2010   #75
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

Drives: Conquest

I think slowbubblecar was asking if that was the OE size for the tires, not relating to how they would be stuffed inside the cabin.
FattyBoomBatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #76
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbubblecar View Post
I think the issue is that most people do what they do for fun and not necessarily to be the best.
Not all of us enjoy being mediocre.

Quote:
Old 08-16-2010   #77
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

I think james hit the nail right on the head, it just sounds like an accurate description.
On a side I note I love everyone equally.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #78
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Dizzle, stop eating out of that box of Wheaties with Ayrton Senna on the front :P

(Side note, that would be kinda cool)

Ryan, I kinda thought the return to stock would be for nationals, but the slicks comment threw me off. Stock+slicks must be one of those crazy autoX classes that I will never understand, but again, play on playah! I ain't hatin! Go get'em tiger. When the season is over will you re-mod it, or just sell off those parts for other stuff (pay for the tires)?
Quote:
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #79
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Quote:
And you call me elitist. haha

Let the man build the car how he wants! Personally id make it handle better and roar down the streets, plus look sexier but each to his own!

If you ever wanna take me for a spin in it, lemme know.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010   #80
MustGoFaster

I am not planning on re-modding at this point. The overall goal is to have a car that I can't blame for not winning. After that it's all me. Also, to not depend on someone else to provide that car for me. So, by de-modding now I will have nice new tires to run at Nationals, and to get me most of the way through next season to learn on.

Stock tire sizes are 265F/295R. The 295/315 combo is what most Super Stock C5Z's run for tires. The stock wheel sizes are 17x9.5 front and 18x10.5 rear. A 10" wide rim is recommend for the 295, and a 1/2" squeeze is "nothing" in AX terms.

Chris, the SCCA rule on tires for stock classes is that they have to be DOT legal tires. Hoosier and Kumho built tires specifically to meet DOT requirements, but kick the crap out of everything else for grip. So while legal to drive them on the road (at least right when they are new) it is unadvisable, due to wear, and durability concerns. When the rule was written, these tires didn't exist, and street tires were craptastic. There is currently some debate going about changing the rules to require street tires in stock classes.