MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 09-12-2006   #1
Gsxedyou

Send a message via AIM to Gsxedyou
boost controller

Anyone have good instructions for a boost controller installation?
Gsxedyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006   #2
scheides
flips McGee

Re: boost controller

check http://www.vfaq.org

The ball end goes towards your boost source, the spring end goes towards your wastegate actuator.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006   #3
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Assuming you are using a standard ball/spring manual boost controller, the bottom hose goes to the nipple on your turbo/turbo outlet and the side hose goes to your wastegate. Make the lines as short as possible to help eliminate boost-spike and speed up response time. Remember to zip-tie all connections!
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006   #4
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

Yeah short and simple.
I actually maxed my current boost controller out. It wont go in any further. but i have the forge UNOS one. i have to find the other spring for it, it comes with two of them, one for low boost (under 25psi) and one for high boost.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006   #5
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2kracka
Assuming you are using a standard ball/spring manual boost controller, the bottom hose goes to the nipple on your turbo/turbo outlet and the side hose goes to your wastegate. Make the lines as short as possible to help eliminate boost-spike and speed up response time. Remember to zip-tie all connections!

Yup, except when using my buddies turboXS one. I hooked it up backwards because I was used to all MBC's hooking up with the boost source on the bottom nipple, and the WG going to the one pointing sideways. But Austin's TurboXS one was completely backwards.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006   #6
xveganxcowboyx
Wanker

Drives: 95 M3

Zip ties. That would be smart. I'm waiting for mine to fall into my fan at some point...
xveganxcowboyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006   #7
s1ngletracker

Drives: A BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpunx99GSX
Yeah short and simple.
I actually maxed my current boost controller out. It wont go in any further. but i have the forge UNOS one. i have to find the other spring for it, it comes with two of them, one for low boost (under 25psi) and one for high boost.
geez! just disconnect your wastegate

Sponsored by DB Performance (dbptuning.com)

A dsm, a bimmer, a DORGE CUMMINZ, and a non running DSM race car... for now.
s1ngletracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006   #8
Hoffer00

Cantankerous Tank Champion! Fight Man Champion! Go Johnny Go Champion!
Send a message via Yahoo to Hoffer00

It depends what you have. If it is a TurboXS Dual stage I can help you out with detailed instructions.
Hoffer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006   #9
Pushit2.0
15min late to the world

The turboXS high performance, with a ball and spring and a bleader all in one is what we have had the most luck with as far as MBC's goes. Just fallow the directions with the MBC and you should be fine.

~John
Old 09-16-2006   #10
Halon
Pewp Champion

The reason I like the FORGE over the TurboXS, is because the TurboXS you need to use an allan to adjust. The forge you just turn the cap. And it also clicks when you turn it. So if you decided to bump the boost up to have fun, you can remember you turned it 8 clicks, and then just turn it 8 clicks back when you're done, and you're exactly back where you used to be.

Plus you can get it in the ever so inconspicuous BLACK color, so you don't have a bright blue turboxs controller looking all goofy.

Last edited by Halon; 09-16-2006 at 02:01 PM..
Old 09-16-2006   #11
Gravy
Who's this guy?

Drives: 91 Dodge Stealth RT/TT
Send a message via AIM to Gravy Send a message via Yahoo to Gravy

Now here's a good question for everyone. Is there any way to tell which is the ball side without any instructions? I"m going to be coming by one shortly and it won't come with any directions. I don't feel like pushing osmething up inside the niple to figure out if that's the ball end.
Old 09-16-2006   #12
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

Turbo xs high performance boost controllers are silver.
I have one in my stealth and love it. Consistant boost is a good thing to have.
Old 09-16-2006   #13
Halon
Pewp Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterydr
I have one in my stealth and love it. Consistant boost is a good thing to have.
But still requires an Alan to adjust right? I don't like having to carry around an allan wrench to change my boost. I like my knob that has clicking intervals, and is anodized black.

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/con...product=FMUNOS

And I purchased the Forge Unos from LSE! And I'm willing to bet it was a good bit cheaper then the Turboxs High Performance one.

Last edited by Halon; 09-16-2006 at 05:55 PM..
Old 09-16-2006   #14
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

Yeah we sell the Forge units as well.
I've used the Turbo xs, so thats what I recommend.
Old 09-18-2006   #15
Hoffer00

Cantankerous Tank Champion! Fight Man Champion! Go Johnny Go Champion!
Send a message via Yahoo to Hoffer00

I love the Dual Stage HP TurboXS mbc. Ddoes anyone else have the dual stage. I mounted a switch in the empty button above the radio
(there was just a blank plastic piece there) .
Hoffer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #16
Jaei Sun
4G63 X 2 = 8G63

Drives: 06 EVO, 92 TSi AWD

I've always had my MBC hooked up with the boost side coming right off the compressor housing of the turbo (T28), but recently I read on TurboXS's site
Quote:
When increasing the boost pressure to higher levels (15 psi or higher), you will get more accurate, responsive and stable boost pressure by using a pressure supply line directly from the engine inlet manifold after the throttle body housing instead of the pressure line from the pressure side of the turbo as stated in step 3 above. By supplying the pressure directly from the engine inlet manifold, pressure effects due to air being forced through the connecting pipes and intercooler are eliminated from the operation of the wastegate actuator system. Ensure any previous pressure supply lines after the turbo are appropriately blocked.
What kind of pressure effects??
Jaei Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #17
tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ju-on View Post
But still requires an Alan to adjust right? I don't like having to carry around an allan wrench to change my boost. I like my knob that has clicking intervals, and is anodized black.

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/con...product=FMUNOS

And I purchased the Forge Unos from LSE! And I'm willing to bet it was a good bit cheaper then the Turboxs High Performance one.
My JoeP(the very first style) needs an allen wrench to adjust boost, plus the wrench to loosen the jamb nut. It works ok though, if you really wanted you could use different bolts and have a thumb nut instead of the super long allen set screw thing.

I am pretty sure this post will mean nothing to anybody. That is ok though, I am drunk and kind have an idea what is going on.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #18
1slowdsm
Now 1 second.....slower!

Drives: 1993 Talon AWD
Send a message via MSN to 1slowdsm

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterydr View Post
Mine is blue. It's the one I bought from QPR a couple years back. I think it was Allen who sold it too me and it came off of Mike's car. And it's currently busted. Doesnt hold boost at all. (bad spring?)
The only thing I like about using the allen wrench is that no one else can mess with your boost if anyone else is screwing around with the engine bay, unless they have that certain sized allen wrench. But I like the knob style better. It's easier to use, IMO.
You can always take apart the MBC to see which side is the spring or ball side. It's not very hard, from what I've seen and used. Or try the trial-and-error way .
1slowdsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #19
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim View Post
My JoeP(the very first style) needs an allen wrench to adjust boost, plus the wrench to loosen the jamb nut. It works ok though, if you really wanted you could use different bolts and have a thumb nut instead of the super long allen set screw thing.

I am pretty sure this post will mean nothing to anybody. That is ok though, I am drunk and kind have an idea what is going on.
I had the same one
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006   #20
TalonFiero
moonshine power

Looney Tunes Mahjong Champion! Mine Sweeper Champion!
Drives: 08 Saab 9-7x Aero
Send a message via AIM to TalonFiero

I love my Joe P., still use it with zero issues to this day. I do like the new Joe P. inline boost controllers that are anodized in black, stealthy. http://www.joepmbc.com/images/MBC%20pics/blacksmall.jpg

Also Elite and DB Performance sell a boost controller in various colors for $35.

I have always ended up routing my boost controller into the intake one way or another. I seem to have weird boost issues if I rout it right off the turbo, just my experiences.
TalonFiero is offline   Reply With Quote