MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Old 07-11-2013   #1
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Drives: '08 Chrysler 300C
Send a message via MSN to DSMINMN Send a message via Yahoo to DSMINMN Send a message via Skype™ to DSMINMN
WHITE POW'R! - Winter beater turned....?

Since this car has began to change directions, I decided that it deserves a thread dedicated to such changes. Without further ado:

Back story

I was in the search of a Colt/Mirage for quite some time. Said car would serve it's purpose as a winter car...and a possible 4g63t swap candidate. More of the latter, hence the thread!

My best friend Keith (not on here; YET), knew what I was looking for and decided to help me search. Hell, I wasn't going to turn down a helping hand! So a few days after he told me he too was on the look for one I received a text with the link to a Craigslist ad. I opened it and this is what I found.

"1993 Dodge Colt - $200"

The ad went onto say it was a decent car that had the distributor replaced recently. It also mentioned the car had an engine problem and wouldn't start. This was on a Saturday. This same day my friend and I went down to look at it. A week later we went and picked it up.

8/4/2012

That night we unloaded the car and started work on it. By Sunday the 5th we had the old 4g15 out. I was highly motivated to work on this car. Which surprised me for what it was.

8/4/2012

8/5/2012

Oh, did I forget to mention what was wrong with it?!? It threw a rod. From seeing other threads online, it seems the 4g15s do it quite often. Why you ask? I have no clue. Maybe there is a lack of a rev limit on them and they just eat themselves alive; I don't know.

Immediately I started cleaning the engine bay from what you've seen above to this:

That wasn't good enough for me though so I took it to there extreme. I'll just let the pictures do all of the talking.

After all this I was really wanting to either do a 4g37 swap or a 4g63 swap. I thought a 4g63t would make this completely useless in the winter. That and I did not have the funds to support buying everything for the swap. As a matter of a fact, I barely do now!

Any who, I ended up finding a 4g15 and just threw it in there calling it good.

I did what I wound consider a "mini wire-tuck". I pretty much just rerouted everything and moved the vacuum sensor...stuff.

She was "done"!

Last edited by DSMINMN; 09-01-2013 at 02:13 PM..
DSMINMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013   #2
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Send a message via MSN to DSMINMN Send a message via Yahoo to DSMINMN Send a message via Skype™ to DSMINMN
Re: WHITE POW'R! - Winter beater turned....?

Back story, continued

Right away I noticed a problem; the car was running "odd". It barely made it to the gas station. I blamed the 4-6+ year old gas. If I remember correctly, my dad said the last time it was registered was 2006! That is some old, nasty ass gas! I filled it and it still went through a lot of gas. Then it threw an CEL.

After a long search it turned out to be this little bastard.

The "gas filter" as it is called by Mitsubishi and Toyota was broke. This connected inline from the intake manifold to the MAP sensor. I bought a new one from Toyota for around $36 shipped.

Old 07-11-2013   #3
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Now

After nearly doing only God knows what to the engine by POURING gas into the little 4g15, I decided to start collecting some 4g63t swap parts....5-6 months later I started buying parts! In the mean time I have just kept on driving the Colt! She's slow as all hell but it is a car!

6/15/2013

I picked up this Spyder for the swap. It had a 2g transmission, axles, a full engine, ECU, engine wiring harness (not to mention all the left-overs could be used on my GS-T!): it was perfect!

From just the looks the engine seemed to be clean. I don't even know how many miles are on it. I never even bothered to check the cluster. From the looks of it though, this engine may not be original to this car. That's not a problem with me though. It's still the revised 7 bolt.

I tore the head off to changed the valve springs and grind the valves while I was at it. I was not pleased with the amount of high temp orange RTV I found throughout the head..

After a few runs through the cleaning/baking machine fixed that though, thankfully!

Last edited by DSMINMN; 07-11-2013 at 02:36 AM..
Old 07-11-2013   #4
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

While down in the Cities picking up some brake calipers I also found a good deal on an Evo. 3 throttle body. I wanted a 1g N/T TB, but this was better yet. So away I went with porting the 2g intake manifold!

Now if you did not notice in two of the pictures above, there is some sort of acess metal on the casting lines on the intake manifold. I guess I get to go in there and clean it up. It is a bit scary to think that that would otherwise just be hanging out in there.

Since I needed to send the head in to get resurfaced I decided to attempt to do the oil port mod. I think it turned out alright.

After getting the head back I noticed it had a few little black spots/pits in it. It is more on the exhaust side of the head. I've got no clue if they'll effect the engine or not.

Old 07-11-2013   #5
blesi660r

Drives: 07-gsxr 750, 93 talon tsi awd

How deap did you go on the oil port job, also from the base to the tip did you just taper it.
Old 07-11-2013   #6
scheides
flips McGee

I vote RWD conversion on this one...it'll already be a mess in the snow, might as well have some real fun?
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013   #7
1QUICK4
Crash Course Racing

Drives: in circles
Send a message via Yahoo to 1QUICK4

Buy Mai Camber plates!
Old 07-11-2013   #8
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blesi660r View Post
How deap did you go on the oil port job, also from the base to the tip did you just taper it.
I do not know exactly how deep I went. lol
If I had a caliper to measure I would. I have to wait until I get to school before I can buy one though. I know I started with a carbide bit which was a HUGE mistake. Never do that. Grinding stones for a dremel did the trick. I also polished it a bit.

Check out Jafromobile's video on it. He gets far more precise than I could at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T97R...e_gdata_player

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I vote RWD conversion on thisthis one...it'll already be a mess in the snow, might as well have some real fun?
As fun as that sounds, I'm going to cover this problem by buying a truck. I've already test drove a '00 24 Valve Cummins. From what I've learned though, I am going with a '94-'98.5 12 Valve. Just a little something to help get around and maybe move some of the cars around too.

Last edited by DSMINMN; 07-11-2013 at 09:55 AM..
Old 07-11-2013   #9
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

Those black pits are mostly likely casting material flaws, shouldn't be any big deal. A little copper spray on a MLS gasket or a regular composite gasket will easily absorb that. Don't be tempted to smooth it with a belt sander.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013   #10
blesi660r

Thanks for the link awsome build fyi
Old 07-11-2013   #11
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

Yea, that Jafromobile video is what I was going to recommend in the other thread. Guy makes some awesome how-to videos.

Good choice on the 12 valve also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013   #12
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QUICK4 View Post
Buy Mai Camber plates!
Say whaaaaat?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Blower View Post
Those black pits are mostly likely casting material flaws, shouldn't be any big deal. A little copper spray on a MLS gasket or a regular composite gasket will easily absorb that. Don't be tempted to smooth it with a belt sander.
That's what I was figuring. I was just a tad concerned as I do not remember seeing them before. That's probably because of the resurface though. A FELPRO composite HG w/copper spray will suffice for this build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blesi660r View Post
Thanks for the link awsome build fyi
Not a problem! Thank you as well.
Old 07-11-2013   #13
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhart View Post
Yea, that Jafromobile video is what I was going to recommend in the other thread. Guy makes some awesome how-to videos.

Good choice on the 12 valve also.
Oh yeah, "Jafro." (IMO) has the best DSM/CSM/4g63 videos..at least on YouTube. I always love seeing new videos from him.

Yeah, after test driving a 2000 24 valve and having it die on the way back to the dealership kind of got a...bad taste left from them. That and the whole block casting issues. Oh, the mechanic working on it thinks it's a lift pump too, surprise surprise.

Last edited by DSMINMN; 07-13-2013 at 04:01 PM..
Old 07-11-2013   #14
blesi660r

holy jack pot on how-to's lol thanks again, opend my eyes to a few things i will address on my current build
Old 07-11-2013   #15
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMINMN View Post
A FELPRO composite HG w/copper spray will suffice for this build.
Whoa, no need for copper spray on a composite gasket.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013   #16
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Blower View Post
Whoa, no need for copper spray on a composite gasket.
I suppose.
Old 07-12-2013   #17
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

I painted the block about a week or so ago and I thought it turned out alright. The paint definitely could have been a lighter shade of purple but that's okay.

Yesterday I was at our shop and noticed it was sunny out. I pulled the short-block out of the corner and rolled it into the light. Again, not exactly what I was wanting but it'll do.

There isn't enough metallic flake for my tastes, but the paint it also to blame for being so damn dark. I'm thinking it'll look fine though. I would post a current picture of the car's engine bay but after a winter of not cleaning it and a trip down a few minimum maintenance roads has got it looking...well, it has seen it's fair share of better days.
Old 07-21-2013   #18
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Guys..I think I have a problem...

YES I realize that the valve cover is terrible and will probably need to be completely redone. Well, none of it really came out spectacular. I do have to say everything looks a helluva' lot better than before.

I did take a few breaks from cleaning up the comp. cover to spray my water pump with Alumablast. Good shit!

I also yanked the engine wiring harness out of the Spyder earlier this week. It has seen it's better days.

...and yes, most of these pictures were taken with a potato.
Old 09-25-2013   #19
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

UPDATE

Welp, my dumb ass hauled this bitch (the engine) to school. So now; the crank is coming out and getting polished, I'm replacing all of the bearings, getting new piston rings...pretty much an entire rebuild.

I (of course), forgot to take pictures. As of right now the pistons/rods are out and the front case/oil pump is off. Since I started working, I am hoping to start buying parts maybe next month..? Little by little of course.

I've still got no idea when I'll be attempting the swap. I've made friends with a Honduh kid here at school and he's offered to let me use his own shop (yes, he's got his own shop), to do the swap. I may have to take him up on that.

Anyway, I'll stop spewing off. Stay tuned for pictures and/or updates!

Last edited by DSMINMN; 09-25-2013 at 10:21 PM..
Old 10-10-2013   #20
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

AWD swap, opinions?