MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Brakes / Body / Suspension

Old 04-03-2013   #1
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Drives: '08 Chrysler 300C
Send a message via MSN to DSMINMN Send a message via Yahoo to DSMINMN Send a message via Skype™ to DSMINMN
Question To keep, or not to keep; heater core, AC & blower motor..?

I'm going to start with a little back information on this. When I received my '95 TSi the AC didn't work. I was fine with it as having the windows down is usually enough for me. I came to realize I had one AC line that was leaking and it wasn't even the correct one for the car! I removed it and capped it.

As far as the blower motor goes; there was a nasty stench in the car from sitting out in the sun for days. After taking the window cowl off I realized I had a mouse nest inside the car. After removing what I thought was all of it I left it alone. A few months later I took the car out and the smell was still there. I tried pulling out more of the nest from the AC box and it cracked a little. It still blew air fine so it didn't bother me.

Anyways, I put off the problem until this past summer. I decided to finally swap my interior from brown to black/tan. Since the dash was out I thought it would be the perfect time to remove the rest of this nest.

Just the other day I tried taking the blower motor and its housing out. Needless to say I screwed up the AC housing where the two meet. It made the crack quite a bit larger. Since that I decided to take all of the HVAC stuff out.

Now with the heater core bungs on the engine looped together I'm contemplating even putting the stuff back in. Then in the same instance though, I had a friend remind me about fog and such that would mess with my windows/windshield. I'm torn as I do not drive the car in winter nor do I drive it when it rains.

I'm hoping some of you who have removed your HVAC systems can help me decide which route to go from here.

Thanks!
DSMINMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013   #2
dsmghost

Drives: 1gb Talon TSi AWD
Send a message via Yahoo to dsmghost
Re: To keep, or not to keep; heater core, AC & blower motor..?

Keep it if your windows have fogged, otherwise if you don't drive in winter you don't need heat. I hate having to wipe and smear windows try to see out of them while driving.

Pull A/C, keep heater core and blower.
dsmghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013   #3
4seasons69

Drives: 1992 talon tsi 1995 corolla

I say pull all the a/c stuff but keep the heat especially if you drive it in the spring and fall it still can get pretty cold. Also for helping with windows that fog up too
4seasons69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013   #4
LingLing
AznKraut

Drives: '03 325i, '98 Ranger '03 Duramax
Send a message via AIM to LingLing Send a message via MSN to LingLing

Because racecar.

I had a similar thing in my car and I decided to just pull it all. I figured even if you replace the motor and heater core it's still going to smell because of your dash and vent ducting. That and I said f-it trying to piece together 15 year old ducting that won't smell like the poo-poo platter. Mine's not a winter driven car...Well, at least anymore.

Keep a few warm blankets in back, and a bottle of hot massage oil in the engine bay for the ladies on those cold summer nights.

Last edited by LingLing; 04-03-2013 at 05:37 PM..
LingLing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013   #5
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

It doesn't weigh much, I'd keep it unless you're gutting the car.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013   #6
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Drives: '08 Chrysler 300C
Send a message via MSN to DSMINMN Send a message via Yahoo to DSMINMN Send a message via Skype™ to DSMINMN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Blower View Post
It doesn't weigh much, I'd keep it unless you're gutting the car.
Well I did take all of the sound deadening out, along with the dash pad.

As LingLing said though, if the mice have already been in it and used it as their shitter, there's really never cleaning that out. Or at least I don't think I'll be able to.
DSMINMN is offline   Reply With Quote