MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > The Parking Lot - On & Off Topic

Old 05-06-2007   #1
chengsta

Drives: '93 mirage es - evoIII
clutch opinion

I'm in the market for a new clutch for my '99 spyder gs-t and I just wanted some inputs these 2 clutches. I'm looking at either getting the ACT 2100 or the South Bend Rally Series. I have never ran a South Bend clutch so I don't know much about it. From all the researched I've done a lot of people recommended them so I figure I would give it a shot. The car will be daily driven and some fun on the weekends since I can't run it at the tracks here w/o a roll cage. Any other choices or advices would greatly help. thanks.

I will have the car dyno tuned after the new clutch is installed.

Mods on my car:
-evo3 big16g turbo
-Joe P. MBC
-3in turbo back exhaust
-pte 680cc
-apexi safc
-gm maf-t in blow-thru setup
-SSQV BOV
-extremeintercoolersystems.com 7" Street short-route FMIC kit
-rewired fuel pump
-walbro 190lph
-ported 2g exhaust manifold
-NGK plugs and wires
-tubular o2 housing
chengsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007   #2
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51
Re: clutch opinion

I have a Southbend DXD in my Laser AWD and really like it. Easy to daily-drive in traffic, but nice firm solid engagement.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007   #3
b00stcreep21
I hate everyone

I don't have any experience with the ACT, simply because all I end up dealing with is southbends. And I've heared and seen nothing but good things. Reliable, options for most people's needs to hold awesome amounts of power, stock pedal feel, and an overall a joy to drive everyday because of the stock pedal feel, but also holds up great at the track. Also, correct me if i'm wrong (again because I havn't had any experience w/ ACT products), but from what I've heared, ACT's are kind of a hit or miss as far as whether or not they hold up and not fail
Old 05-06-2007   #4
chengsta

What clutch series would you recommend me getting from South Bend for my type of driving and setup? I originally was just looking at the Rally Series or possibly the TZ series. I'm thinking at most my car would only be looking at 270+ HP.

But like you said about ACT it is a hit or miss. I've had experience with them in my old 1g AWD with the ACT 2600 and never had a problem. My friend however did. Installed the ACT 2900 in his 2g GSX and a few thousand miles into it the thing busted in pieces so he switch to a ACT 2600 and shortly after got rid of the car ^_^.

Last edited by chengsta; 05-06-2007 at 06:59 PM..
Old 05-06-2007   #5
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

ACT seems to have more quality control issues than any other clutch brand. Their discs aren't anything special either, they just use the pressure plate strength to hold power rather than using a higher friction disc too.

I've heard the DXD holds similar power to the ACT 2600 so thats more than enough for most people's DSMs. I really can't see going with anything lesser than this clutch either, its already so easy to drive with a very comfortable pedal pressure.

*edit* Seems like DXD is the line of all their import clutches, My invoice from LSE says "SouthBend Clutch DXD-HD K-536. Full face custom disc" so I'm not exactly sure which one I have.

Last edited by Kracka; 05-06-2007 at 07:05 PM..
Old 05-06-2007   #6
b00stcreep21
I hate everyone

you'd probably be really suited with an OFE. Give LSE a call, and the parts guys will be more than happy to price you out a clutch that's best suited for your needs
Old 05-06-2007   #7
scheides
flips McGee

Southbend for SURE! I have had both the 2100 and the DXD and the DXD is much much more easy on your left leg and will take a TON of abuse. Loved that clutch, that's what's going in my Evo!
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007   #8
gsxer

XTD from ebay! Cheap and works.
gsxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007   #9
bluntedelvis
Click,Click,BOOM!!!

Dont have it yet, but will be going with South Bend for my 2g.
Old 05-06-2007   #10
123abc
wants to be sideways...

Drives: Loud cars
Send a message via AIM to 123abc Send a message via MSN to 123abc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxer View Post
XTD from ebay! Cheap and works.
I have an XTD in my car, 90 laser fwd, and love it so far. I just need to get my clutch master cylinder swapped.
123abc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007   #11
chengsta

Thanks for all the replies. I decided and ordered the South Bend OFE Clutch through LSE.

One other question. Do you guys think I should just get an aftermarket flywheel, for example: fidanza, while its off or just have the stock one resurfaced?
Old 05-06-2007   #12
DoughtCom
It's deluxe son... deluxe

Drives: Your mom
Send a message via AIM to DoughtCom

yeah LSE usually suggests southbend from what I hear, seems like the brand to go with.

sleepydsm: "Shit breaks, $2500 trannys are disposable. If that upsets your stomach, get out now."
DoughtCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007   #13
rst95eclipse

As stated above, ACT has problems. I've also heard of two Southbend issues personally. The clutch that I would go with if I had a manual tranny is Centerforce. Not many people run them, but I have yet to hear bad news from anyone I know running one. However; I, like everyone else in the thread, am biased.
rst95eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007   #14
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

I loved the Centerforce Dual-Friction in my '94 TSi fwd. If I ever had a FWD DSM again I would for sure buy one no question. I had 30k of hard miles on mine and it handled the 20G w/o problem.

For AWD I'd go with the SouthBend since they handle hard launches better, but the CF DF did have smoother engagement and a better feel which is why its my FWD choice.
Old 05-07-2007   #15
Tman1gtsi

I have an act in my 91 tsi and i would never go anything else!
Tman1gtsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007   #16
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

Centerforce is old school, they are hit and miss, but more misses for the DSM crowd once you pass the 275whp level.
I believe that the AWD had worse luck with them compared to the FWD.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007   #17
AJ
Area code 166 represent

Send a message via AIM to AJ Send a message via Yahoo to AJ

I've owned ACT 2600 in all my old cars, and I've driven a few cars with the Southbend compareable clutch (DXD?) and I'd go with a SB anyday of the week. the pedal pressure was a pure joy.
Old 05-08-2007   #18
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

Ive had a ACT 2100, i just got a Southbend DXD and for the 24 hours my car was running it seemed really nice. Pedal pressure was a sinch. The DXD was much more different then the ACT, seemed to engage really FAST. Almost stalled a couple times in first at low speeds.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007   #19
Onefast99gsx

I having been running a SouthBend DxD OFE clutch in my '99 GSX for 2 years now. I had a ACT 2600 in there and this SouthBend is by far better. I've talked to Southbend directly and their clutch disks themselves are more efficient thus requiring less pressure plate load which is easier on the leg also. I'm sold on these and would recommend to anyone. For a 2g, Southbend should be a clutch of choice because the last thing you want is lots of pressure plate load at the thrust bearings.
Onefast99gsx is offline   Reply With Quote