Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2005   #41
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET
Re: 50 trim in - lot's of smoke from exhaust

That is pretty crazy Shane, I was going to make an almost identical post until I saw yours! Don't believe everything Rick says, he is very convincing. You would be better off putting in a stock 6 bolt with stock bore,freshen it up, and put in 2g pistons and new rings. You don't need rods or forged pistons for the power you will be making.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
Old 05-09-2005   #42
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Also keep in mind a select few people on this board hate Shindley; he has done nothing but great work for many many others (me included).
Old 05-09-2005   #43
Raptor
ConArtist

I have to say this, I don't hate Rick, I don't agree with a lot of what he does/says but I am sure he would likely say the same fore me. I will say I agree with what JET and Shane posted. Rick has done decent work for many people. The one thing that I will go toe to toe with anyone on is this, you don't put ARP mains in without align honing period. Bad engine building practice. That alone makes me question what else he doesn't know.
Old 05-09-2005   #44
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

Send a message via AIM to Pimpin Dsmstyle

Sounds like you should get some repair work done on your car before you keep modding it. Slllow down buddy
Old 05-09-2005   #45
Onefast99gsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
align honing.
Is that the same as line boring?
Old 05-09-2005   #46
Raptor
ConArtist

yep, with the obvious difference of honing to correct size with a common arbor as opposed to removing a lot of material to change diameter. Same basic concept.

Last edited by Raptor; 05-09-2005 at 03:49 PM..
Old 05-09-2005   #47
Onefast99gsx

Thanks....gotcha. I can see where your statement in post #43 above is very critical then.
Old 05-09-2005   #48
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Yeah, I don't hate Rick either. If anybody should, it should be me. We actually talked it all out a while back. I would send someone there to have a timing belt, tranny rebuild, or something done (and have), but he is WAY behind the times on his modding. Maintenance or a stock rebuild, fine, but performance stuff I would go to a performance shop.

One more thing to think about, Rick is not a licensed shop so you have very limited forms of recourse if something goes wrong.

Old 05-09-2005   #49
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

I don't hate Rick, but I have talked to him before and he didn't give me the impression that he seems to give most of his customers who might not quite know as much about how an AFC or turbo actually works. He is a person who actually needs to get on somewhere like DSMTalk or Tuners and see how some things actually work in the real world and maybe get out of the mid 90s in his advice.
Old 05-09-2005   #50
howslowcanyougo
Older than Dirt...

Drives: IX EVO MR/SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli
A stock 7-bolt will handle well over 18psi and 150-200whp more than you were probably making.
You saying a 7 bolt can go to 36 psi and 450 HP or just up to 18 psi?

So what can a 6 bolt do?

How about a 2.4? <My next Block, I hope>

I watch my knock like a hawk, <but that's easy with a remap of the knock count to the CEL with Dsmlink!> and always run only mobil1.

I have a A/T on my 7 bolt which I hear reduces the C/W odds, but that berring #3 statement makes me a bit nervous.

Is there really a big limitation on just how far you can go with a 7 bolt before she deeps 6's compared to pushing a 6 bolt?

So just when can I expect my 7 bolt motor also implode into another mangled pile of DSM shit?

TIA.....

PS: Both Rick and Mike have done great work for "me and my Tsi! the past couple years" I am now here only to learn and drive, which I can't do very well either!

Last edited by howslowcanyougo; 05-09-2005 at 09:29 PM..
Old 05-09-2005   #51
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by howslowcanyougo
You saying a 7 bolt can go to 36 psi and 450 HP or just up to 18 psi?
You could probably do 36psi on a 7-bolt, if you put in some ARP head studs. You can't judge things by psi, how much actual power it makes, how high you are reving the motor and the amount of knock/detonation are much more important than the actual boost being run. Barton made 450whp on his stock internal 7-bolt. The record on a stock internal 7-bolt is around 550whp. The main limitation on the 7-bolts is the smaller rods, even though they seem to be about the same size at the EVO 8 rods and people are pushing 500whp on those.

The 6-bolts have much larger rods stock. I don't know how much they handle, but Andy Nash on here ran in the mid 500s at the wheels for a long time with his factory internal 6-bolt.

If you do a 2.4l, you would be putting aftermarket parts in it anyways.
Old 05-10-2005   #52
BKs50trimGST
Post whore

Send a message via AIM to BKs50trimGST

I talked to Shindley today about C/W and it's very easy to test your car for crankwalk i guess, when he pulls my engine apart in the next day or two he's checking for exactly what happened to the car, for all we know it could be crankwalk, he doesn't believe so because of how the car sounded and how it takes a good 5-7 seconds to start now, he said that if your car is shoowing signs of crankwalk all you have to do is change the bearing (something like that) and the car will be fine - now if you've damaged the crank - then either you buy a new one or get the 6-bolt, shindley isn't against 6-bolts at all and you and i all know that, right now my $$ situation isn't the greatest and if i were to buy a 6-bolt, get it rebuilt and modded - it's alot more than just rebuilding and modding a 7-bolt. all i have to say is, yes shindley may be convincing - but he knows his shit - he may talk alot but he does know exactly what he's talking about. as for align honing when putting in ARP mains i really like to know more about that before he sends it away to the machine shop, because if it is critical to making my engine better or lasting i would like to make sure he does it, even if he's against it. And please for the love of god, u all know that some of you go to Shindley for advice. Just making sure, are Wiseco pistons, and Eagle rods good? well i know they are but anybody out there think a set-up for a 7bolt 2g that's better?
Old 05-10-2005   #53
slowbubblecar
Big Turbo Monster

Drives: GTS and E55

I would rather put a stock 6 bolt in my car than a race 7 bolt. DON"T get the race 7 bolt. It wouldn't be much more to build up a 6 bolt if you are set on a race motor. I don't see why you really need a race motor if you are sticking with the 50 trim anyhow. For cw, you can replace the crank bearings, but it isn't going to prevent it from walking. It is more of a delayed death. Eagles and wisecos are good, but I would rethink your plans. Hope you don't plan on using a big clutch for the 7 bolt. If you are on a budget, why would you do a race motor anyhow?

7/25/09
Motorcycle cop pulls up next to me on UNI and says "Want to race?"
Me- "I don't think you would stand a chance."
Cop says "probably not" and drives off.
Old 05-10-2005   #54
BKs50trimGST
Post whore

i'm not, just building it up a little stronger, this car is a daily driven car that i want to be able to go fast with once in a while and not have to worry about breaking something internally. as for cw, later in life when it does crankwalk i hope by then i will be able to afford a 6bolt and be able to make my car a race motor, for now i'm just want it done. how about this - i'm rebuilding my 7-bolt, what should i do to make it a better 7 bolt? very random>> anyone have a pic of a stock 1g 7bolt head>? up close? also, someone explain to me align honing when putting in the arp mains>> is it an important thing to do when rebuilding an engine>?
Old 05-10-2005   #55
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

It could cw right away, that is what you DONT realize. Why waste alot of money on 7bolt internals when youll have to do it again when it CW's. You keep asking how and what to do to make your engine last a long time with your 50 trim. Seriously if its all about money then find a good condition stock 6bolt and swap that in. You will save money, time and be happy in the end versus dealing with an engine that will die sooner or later.
Old 05-10-2005   #56
slowbubblecar
Big Turbo Monster

Drives: GTS and E55

I don't think you will need arp mains and a stock motor should be fine with your setup. I don't think you will be making too much power, maybe a little over 300 is my guess. I'd worry about getting a logger before building a race motor.

7/25/09
Motorcycle cop pulls up next to me on UNI and says "Want to race?"
Me- "I don't think you would stand a chance."
Cop says "probably not" and drives off.
Old 05-10-2005   #57
BKs50trimGST
Post whore

i got a logger, but the thing is, if you fix the the bearing on the cw you will be fine for a long ass time, you check it after that about every 20,000 miles, check it more if all you do is beat the crap out of it. i just for now want my car back and done, in the future when i have alot of money and i put it to my car, i'm just going to buy a 2G GSX with a fully built up race motor. that's my dream right now - some of you fuckers out there have it (i'm jealous, don't take it personal). if and when my car cw, you all can rub it in my face, ok? leave the 7 bolt thing alone, i'm rebuilding it - now, how do i make it better and the align honing - do i need it done for the arp main's, i would love to know.
Old 05-10-2005   #58
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Rebuild it to stock specs with ARP head studs. There is no reason for you to spend a lot of money on aftermarket rods, aftermarket pistons, ARP mains, balancing, etc. The stock motor can take the power you are making plus a lot more. If your current motor died because of detonation, then your built motor will probably suffer the same fate. You shouldn't have been making even close to enough power to break the motor from too much power and the reason to build the motor is to be able to handle more power. Fix whatever caused this failure or else the same thing can just as easily happen again with a rebuilt stock motor or a built motor.
Old 05-10-2005   #59
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettostyle
I'd worry about getting a logger before building a race motor.
2G dataloggers are about as useful as the blinky A/F gauges. He should take the money for the aftermarket rods/pistons and buy something that can log for real like DSMLink.
Old 05-10-2005   #60
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKs50trimGST
i got a logger, but the thing is, if you fix the the bearing on the cw you will be fine for a long ass time, you check it after that about every 20,000 miles, check it more if all you do is beat the crap out of it.
That is bullshit. Many people have tried to replace the bearings in a motor with just a little crank walk to fix it. It doesn't work, they still die in a short amount of time. You would be WAY better off putting a bone stock 6 bolt in there than spending the money on a 7 bolt.

I and several others have said it before. If you don't want to listen to our advice, then quit asking. From what you are saying about Shindley, you have totally fallen for what he says. I wish you the best of luck.

Closed Thread