MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 03-09-2008   #21
iceminion

Send a message via AIM to iceminion
Re: Venturi vacuum pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
The KV's create a vacuum in the crankcase (even at idle). Does the air "woosh" into the crankcase when you pop your dipstick? It does with the KV's. The KV's are one-way valves similar to a PCV, but unlike factory PCV's they do not leak boost into the crankcase. You put one between the intake manifold and the factory PCV and one on the valve cover breather allowing air to only escape but never enter. Doing this increases engine efficiency by reducing drag on the crank/pistons (more power, better MPG) and also helps the piston rings seal better reducing oil consumption. These will also fix symptoms such as leaking gaskets and dipstick pop-out similar to your pump.
Everything you said:
1. Makes no sense.
2. Is incorrect.
3. Has no factual evidence to back up your claims
4. Has nothing to do with the topic.

If you want, I can tear your paragraph apart piece by piece. I would love to write a ten paragraph explanation of how everything works, http://xkcd.com/386/

But instead, lets get back on topic.

UNDER BOOST: air needs to be forcefully removed from the crank case drawn through the (almost inadequate) crank case vent.

this can be done by:
-sucking air into the turbo (not desirable)(ineffective with large turbos)
-using an electric pump
-using a mechanical pump
-using a venturi (i claim to be the cheapest/best bang for the buck)
-welding large AN fittings onto the valve cover (solves problem by offering a low restriction large hole for gasses to vent to atmosphere pressure)

depending on my schedule I might have some data collected this week, but after my math exam sounds more likely.

will have video(s) posted by sunday.

Kraka you are a cool guy, you would be even more cool if you were able to take it like a man and admit you have no idea what you are talking about.
Old 03-09-2008   #22
iceminion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Does it not connect to the same place as yours?
I really wish you had asked a more complete question.

In short, yes, it does connect to the crank case vent -and- to the pcv (basically a backup pcv valve)

but it does not apply vacuum at all, it only stops air from flowing INTO the crank case.....and seeing how the stock line goes to the turbo intake pipe (small amount of vacuum) no air would travel back up that line anyways.

this KV product will solve the problem of a defective PCV valve, but that is the only thing it will do, and for $110, I would rather buy a mitsu pcv valve and be done.
Old 03-09-2008   #23
iceminion

I feel like additional explanation is needed. I am not trying to push a product to make a huge amount of profit, I am offering knowledge that I gained through trial and error.

I know I am not the only one with this problem, I kinda wish more people would have chimed in with "yeah man, same problem here, can i buy one/tell me how you made it?"

again, just trying to help with a problem that is not really covered enough (in my opinion)
Old 03-09-2008   #24
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

I'm sorry that you don't like what I posted, I made no personal attack towards you nor did I say anything negative about the product you have made. I merely shined some light on a product that does something similar to the thing you designed, but goes about it in a different manner. I did not make any false claims and after re-reading what I posted I do not see anything that does not make sense. It seems like you are getting very defensive for no good reason and frankly I do not understand why.
Kracka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008   #25
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceminion View Post
this KV product will solve the problem of a defective PCV valve, but that is the only thing it will do, and for $110, I would rather buy a mitsu pcv valve and be done.
You are wrong. The product I have linked does something very similar to the product you are trying to sell (without first becoming an approved site vendor I might add) in that it helps to run a vacuum in the crankcase which has numerous benefits. If you don't like it then fine thats your opinion, but do not come out calling me a liar and tell me that I don't know what I am talking about.

Last edited by Kracka; 03-09-2008 at 10:41 PM..
Old 03-09-2008   #26
iceminion

please explain how a PCV valve (which IS the KV product) is in any way remotely similar to what my venturi is?

A PCV valve is either open or closed, like a gate, it does not generate any positive or negative pressure, it can only regulate pressure applied to it.
Old 03-09-2008   #27
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Yes, the KV's are heavy-duty glorified PCV valves, I know this. They create vacuum in the fact they let air/gasses out, but not in. The difference between a KV and a regular PCV valve is the fact the KV will not leak air into the valve cover no matter how much boost you throw at it unlike a stock PCV valve. If you don't want to believe they work that is fine, but I can promise you that they do as I have personally used them as have MANY other people on both N/A and boosted applications with very positive feedback. I also think that you have it in your head that I am bashing on your venturi design which I am not and have in no way implied in this thread.

Similarities in the two products being discussed:
-less crankcase pressure
-no more dipstick pop-out
-fewer/smaller oil leaks
-smoother running engine
Old 03-09-2008   #28
iceminion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
You are wrong. The product I have linked does something very similar to the product you are trying to sell (without first becoming an approved site vendor I might add) in that it helps to run a vacuum in the crankcase which has numerous benefits. If you don't like it then fine thats your opinion, but do not come out calling me a liar and tell me that I don't know what I am talking about.
taken off your evo website that you linked above: " These devices are one-way valves that can stop 1000psi" http://evo.dejonpowerhouse.com/

taken from wikipedia: The Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve, or PCV valve, is a one-way valve that ensures continual evacuation of gases from inside a gasoline internal combustion engine's crankcase. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pcv_valve

So, again, the "Krank Vent" IS a PCV valve.

PCV valves do not create pressure or create vacuum.

in the picture taken from the website.

you can see clearly that one (1) of the "Krank Vent"s is inline with the stock PCV valve. (only makes a difference if your PCV valve is broken)
(This Krank vent is irrevalent and pointless, we are done talking about it.)

and the second(2nd) "Krank Vent" is to allow high pressure air to escape through the crank case into the atmosphere(high pressure to low pressure)

This second one will not allow unmetered air to be sucked into the valve cover and thereby getting sucked into the manifold.

SO the second krank vent will help with idle, and help keep the crank case maintain vacuum while at idle.

But here is the funny thing, this is not the problem, the car doesnt leak oil at idle, it leaks oil at WOT. The "Krank Vents" do NOT create VACUUM while UNDER BOOST.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A-04s_crankvent2.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	7089  
Old 03-09-2008   #29
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

We obviously have differing opinions here and thats fine, but I can tell you from real-world experience the KV's work very well and help to eliminate the exact same symptoms that your product sets out to fix. Another thing, I am not a fan of how that KV is setup with the breather filter on it, I think a much better setup would be to run it to a catch-can and then back to the intake pipe.

Anyway, good luck with your venturi sales and I'm glad you are happy with the product you designed and are using.
Old 03-09-2008   #30
iceminion

If your PCV valve is failing, The KV product is a great band-aid fix!
- and - or -
If you have (INTENTIONALLY BROKEN)modified your intake system from stock so that you have a breather on your valve cover(allowing unmetered air into your engine), the second KV will aid in restoring your idle.

Please, maybe I am over-reacting a little bit, but what you are suggesting is in no way related to what I am talking about, it is severly off-topic and your non-factual comments are cluttering up the thread.
Old 03-10-2008   #31
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

Drives: Conquest

I think you are extremely biased against the Krank Vent for no good reason. It's been around a long time. Long enough for people to find out the good and bad aspects of it. But people still use it. Nothing non-factual has been stated about the Krank Vent, so why are you claiming that?

You said earlier that size doesn't matter, it's how you use it. Well, I don't know if you know this, but when you're talking about airflow, size matters ALOT. Why do you think people put larger turbos on their car when they want more power? Because they flow more. You can't tell any of us here that a vacuum line will be able to keep up with the rotating assembly pushing air around at 7k rpms. That's why people install large diameter AN fittings with a REAL vacuum pump driven from a belt off the crank.

This is a chincy, hardware store "bandaid," as you labeled the krankvent, that you are peddling here for 30 or 40 dollars. I can buy that same junk at ace for 10 bucks and steal some vacuum lines from a junkyard for free.99 and it'll work just as good or better than yours. So what do you have now?
FattyBoomBatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008   #32
scheides
flips McGee

Excellent comments Fatty.

iceminion, no offense but I don't really like your little venturi thing you're peddling here for two reasons. One, this is not the place to sell stuff. This is the place to show how you built it, show how it works, etc. Two, I don't really like the design. The KrankVent's are simple and they do the job. This venturi apparatus you have fashioned here seems insufficient to fill shoes of what needs to really happen.

I am editing your current post as of now for pricing, as it really does violate the rules. I let it fly initially, because I thought it was a neat alternative. Now with your fierce backlash comments towards others that seem to come from nowhere, I simply ask that you cease and desist. If you want to show the parts you used to build the thing, great. Otherwise, I think I'll order some KV's. :P
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008   #33
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceminion View Post
If your PCV valve is failing, The KV product is a great band-aid fix!
- and - or -
If you have (INTENTIONALLY BROKEN)modified your intake system from stock so that you have a breather on your valve cover(allowing unmetered air into your engine), the second KV will aid in restoring your idle.

Please, maybe I am over-reacting a little bit, but what you are suggesting is in no way related to what I am talking about, it is severly off-topic and your non-factual comments are cluttering up the thread.
Seriously dude, just calm down and take a step for a minute. I think you've missed half of what I've said and are getting way to defensive about your product that nobody has said an ill-word about. If you don't want discussion going on in your tech thread then made a for sale thread instead.
Old 03-10-2008   #34
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

How does the Krankvent work under boost on a car with some blowby or a loose built big HP engine? Once the vacuum from part throttle cruise is gone, where does it get more?
Old 03-10-2008   #35
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Thats why you need to save some for later...duh Shane!!!

Actually, my assumption has been the intake pipe. I have no idea how much vacuum this creates, but worst case scenario its no different than running a crankcase breather filter. I would imagine there is some decent suction from the turbo though if the air filter or MAS pose any restriction what so ever.
Old 03-10-2008   #36
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

If you run it to the intake pipe, then you would have some vacuum. A decent sized turbo can suck your hand in from a couple feet away.
Old 03-10-2008   #37
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
How does the Krankvent work under boost on a car with some blowby or a loose built big HP engine? Once the vacuum from part throttle cruise is gone, where does it get more?
Who cares, turn up the boost!
Old 03-10-2008   #38
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
A decent sized turbo can suck your hand in from a couple feet away.
LOL! Someone's new sig, I forsee
Old 03-10-2008   #39
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

This thread is doomed

Nice idea iceminion.
Old 03-10-2008   #40
sleepydsm
Kevin

Send a message via AIM to sleepydsm

So what about a GM MAF equipped car in suck through configuration. Would your route the vent side line to the intake pipe AFTER the MAF, before the throttle body?
Currently on Corvette #4
sleepydsm is offline   Reply With Quote