MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Old 05-10-2010   #1
scheides
flips McGee

beaterX project thread

Ok, I'm starting to build some momentum on this thing. This car was abused by the previous owner, so the beginning is going to be all about fixing this thing up and getting it to a level that will be make me happy. I've always said that my ultimate X would be the 2010-spec MR with the Touring Edition package, but with a 5-speed.

My goals for the first part of the summer:
-fix up nasty gashes and major/minor scratches in the body work
-fix/replace rota P45F's from my evo8 and try them on this car (currently it has snow tires on it)
-detail/fix interior, specifically floor, dash, doors, and headliner.
-AWC relocate/factory bluetooth
-ralliart heated leather seat factory option
-a few power mods for the stock turbo: 300whp on DB's dyno
-try leftover evo8 mods for fitment on the X
-ecu hacks for the X

This list will obviously grow with time, but I've got to get more cash out of the parts I had for my evo8 before I can get any 'serious' mods on this thing. I've cut my budget WAY back due to some unforseen problems....needs new brake pads, the power steering issue, needed to buy a new wheel/tire, etc. I'll be keeping the custom 3" exhaust that's on here, as it has a decent muffler on it, and I'll be keeping the FMIC and UICP that came on it: they actually look to be fairly decent quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.

Last edited by scheides; 05-10-2010 at 10:26 PM..
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #2
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart
Re: beaterX project thread

Any wingless pics? I retract my previous statement about wrinkle blacking that UICP, you should do wrinkle red. That would look mighty nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #3
scheides
flips McGee

First up, baseline. This is actually from the test drive LOL. I had shane see how healthy the thing was, and this was his idea of the quickest way to know! Red line is as it came off the dealer's lot with a few mods and MBC, green is with literally five minutes of shane's time and two dyno pulls. Black is some other car with similar mods and an intake:

Shane also said to be sure to replace the fuel pump relay, which I had read about previously.

Initial compression numbers were right around 130. Mivec does weird shit to compression numbers, so I was fine with them as-is.
Quote:
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
Old 05-10-2010   #4
scheides
flips McGee

I bought the car on a Friday. When I got to work on the next monday, it had puked out all of its power steering fluid. 20,000 miles of a poorly placed hose clamp resulted in a pinhole in the line. It took four bottles of fluid to limp the car home, and pull it apart way sooner than I had planned.

(black stuff is jb weld I had attempted to put in place in the parking lot at work)

A snap of the FMIC while the front end is apart. Garret core, measures 3 x 18 x 11.5. Endtanks are decent, but nothing amazing. It isn't huge, but should do alright for now.

Bleh. Still oil everywhere.

Dizzle's idea, worked perfect.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 05-10-2010   #5
scheides
flips McGee

The next day I discovered that the 'ok' brake pads I had inspected in the dealer lot were in fact down to the squeel bars and making noise. I guess a few good test drives/rides pushed them over the edge. So, I ordered up a fresh set of ferodos from MAP. Sigh.

Wednesday of that week, lomker came by with some leftovers from his car! I got a smokin deal on an aFe drop-in air filter and a set of Deutschworks 800cc injectors. Doesn't sound like much, but the X fuel system is pretty beefy from the factory. CBRD says he has several cars running 400whp on pump gas, 800's and the stock fuel pump. Me likey!

After installing the air filter, the car feels snapper and smoother through the gears. I consulted several people, and we all agreed that the afr could lean out a bit, but if it did it wouldn't be more than 1 point. Shane had it pretty much set at 11:1, so even if it did lean out a full point, it wouldn't be dangerous.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV

Last edited by scheides; 05-10-2010 at 10:44 PM..
Old 05-10-2010   #6
Swifty1638
Unsure resident asshole

Drives: '92 Eagle TalonTSI w/many mods
Send a message via AIM to Swifty1638

dumping and dumping more and more money into it..arg.
Black 1GB Mafia #1
744AWHP/526TQ-Shootout mode
639.6AWHP/452TQ-DB's dyno

I wanna go fast.
Swifty1638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #7
awd-drifter
'2of9'

Drives: Racer Van V6

looks great man. im still surprised at how much hp you've added with some simple add ons.
Old 05-10-2010   #8
scheides
flips McGee

After a week of ownership, I was ready to start fiddling with the car. I had a pretty empty weekend and decided to devote some time to it.

First thing was to get logging working. Lomker borrowed me his 2.0 tactrix cable a while ago to work on ACD reflashing on the evo8/9. I never got to try it But, logging on the X is pretty easy! First mod was to enable tephra's Mode23, which basically sets up the ecu for performance logging. It works awesome. From the factory, this car has a 3.3bar map sensor, IAT, MAT, and I even figured out how to wire in my LC-1 in place of the rear o2 sensor, so wideband should be working shortly

Once I had logging working, I could do some before/after for my next little power mod for the stock turbo: tightening the wga. Lots of people talk about doing it, I tried it, it works!

Car is starting to feel like it can go now. 27psi at 3100rpm, yay mivec!

Sunday morning I made the plunge! Off with the wing!

I spent the rest of the day working with my buddy tephra, he has just about completed everything for his first round of mods for the X.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 05-10-2010   #9
scheides
flips McGee

Now for some serious bidniz! These took HOURS AND HOURS to install, but have completely transformed the interior:

Note the seat in this pic, about where your right thigh would sit...ugh, IDK what's on it.

Now, a small pile of parts! Off with the steering wheel, apart with the console, power up the dremel! Woohoo it's bluetooth! Also, relocated the AWC controls (tarmac, gravel, snow) to the center console to make room for the 2010-spec steering-wheel-mounted radio controls. Yummy.

I did this while watching HIMYM

I didn't bother taking a pic of the bluetooth module or the mic, they get stuffed behind the dash and ceiling lights. Gonna wire in my valentine1 up there too, just need a few vampire clips!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 05-10-2010   #10
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

I'll admit, the X looks better without the wing than the 8/9 do, but I still like the wing better.
Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #11
rose0529
Who has my man-card?

Drives: a red car
Send a message via AIM to rose0529

Looking good!!! was the bluetooth install as hard as you thought! Looks really factory how long did it take? Hows it work? Cant wait to check it out in person.
rose0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #12
Kevin 1G Drummer

Drives: Silver '02 IS300, Blue '06 Suzuki SV1000

In for more wingless pics. Looks like you aren't wasting much time in digging into this thing!
Old 05-11-2010   #13
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

Wingless FTW.

Last edited by asshanson; 05-11-2010 at 06:12 PM..
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010   #14
craig
wants to kick mark

Drives: Battery with wheels

Looking good never liked the X wing.
Old 05-11-2010   #15
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose0529 View Post
Looking good!!! was the bluetooth install as hard as you thought! Looks really factory how long did it take? Hows it work? Cant wait to check it out in person.

Pulling the steering wheel and such off was what I thought would be the worst, and it was the easiest. Mounting the bluetooth module and modifying the wiring harness I thought would be the easiest, they were the hardest. Still, the whole job was pretty easy, took a total of about three hours, including me making dinner, eating, watching HIMYM, and about 45 mins of the jbweld drying (attaches the bluetooth controls to the rest of the steering wheel). Oh, and installing the floor mats, that took FOREVER!

The new controls all work beautifully, almost like magic. So cool, I almost wanted to do the peanut butter jelly dance!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 05-11-2010   #16
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Interior looks great, should have kept the SSS wing though!
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010   #17
C3L1CA
N17r0U$ br4D

Goosehead Racing Champion! Street Drifting Champion!
Tournaments Won: 1

Drives: bikes and a silveraydo

Thats pretty sweet scheides. You always do great work!
C3L1CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010   #18
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Lookin good! Ill have to see the wingless look in person but Im actually prefering it as of right now. Which is weird because I like 8,9's with with wings better.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010   #19
mlomker
*Resting In Peace*

Drives: 94 Plymouth Acclaim/2008 EvoX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Blower View Post
I'll admit, the X looks better without the wing than the 8/9 do, but I still like the wing better.
I think the black looks really good wingless. I'm not as keen about it on my car but I can bolt on the APR monstrosity whenever I want to.

Scheides, will the leather be a DIY install?

kracka--It's official, Lomker sucks at chicks!

Last edited by mlomker; 05-11-2010 at 08:56 AM..
mlomker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010   #20
polishmafia
Smells like cat poop

Drives: an evo's fat korean cousin

Nice progress!
polishmafia is offline   Reply With Quote