MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > The Parking Lot - On & Off Topic

Old 12-01-2008   #1
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX
Recession: Only took them a year to admit it.

I love it how they come back a year later and say... "yeah we have been in a recession for the past year" FUCKING DUH. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27999557/
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008   #2
john
Business as usual

Drives: Dodge Viper and Honda Insight
Re: Recession: Only took them a year to admit it.

Yea, I think they were/are worried that saying it will make the economy worse. For example a business may not hire that extra worker as they are not sure if sales will continue to grow.

It will be interesting to see what the new campain is going to do about this. I feel we are in a better situation now with Obama than McCain but how much can one person change our economy??? I hope it will get back on track soon but don't expect much to happen until 2010 or so when I believe the housing market to turn around.
Old 12-01-2008   #3
vr-4lif3

The actual definition of a recession has still not been met. I'll wait for 4Q GDP numbers to come out before I say we are in a recession. Bear markets always come before recessions.
vr-4lif3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008   #4
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

I've already seen it. A company I interviewed with said they would probably be opening a position by December or January. After the election, that position won't be opening until at least next June. Not too surprising.

I think the only way we're going to get out of this soon and not prolong it like in the 30's is to cut taxes across the board and let the market settle. We could be out of this in two years or less that way. If we keep bailing everybody out and increase taxes, we'll be in this for a decade. It's the Jimmy Carter era all over again, the worst is yet to come.
Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #5
JustROLLIN
SpunBearing

Breakout Champion! Field Goal FootBall Champion!

Its interesting that historically when the actual recession announcement is made, most times we are already on an upswing out of it. Not that its necessarily true today, just a thought.
Old 12-03-2008   #6
hellomynameis

Chinese Checkers Champion! Elite Mahjong Champion!
Drives: Evo IX
Send a message via AIM to hellomynameis

If you could call it a recession the day it starts, kudos to you. The NBER uses several indicators to judge the start date of a recession. It's not as simple as saying there was a decline in real GDP for one, or even two quarters. A good place to start your research: NBER Recession FAQ
hellomynameis is offline   Reply With Quote