MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Old 07-30-2014   #201
scheides
flips McGee

Re: Project Black ValentNine AKA DSM9.0

Monthly update! Car went on murlo stands for a few weeks while I did some pretty major upgrades.

First up, rubber. The Fuzion ZRi tires on the car were mint when I started the summer and I have done my best to use them as much as possible. Open to opinions on what I could have done better/different here but somewhere between not enough camber, more tire pressure, and less tire pressure, these things have been through the ringer:

So, rebates and peer opinions galore I saved my pennies and purchased my first pair of 200 treadwear tires: BF Goodrich g-force rivals! Same size, OEM EvoX size to fit the stock X enkeis in 245/40-18.

Turbo is helping:

Met up with JeffTAG with the wagon loaded up:

Side story, garage helpers! I lost little Jill a few times while I was doggy sitting (4 dogs at once= no thx bro!) and figured out she had curled up on some used rags/towels I had left next to beaterX. After I locked her in the garage for the 2nd time I finally figured it out.

Here's Jax the greyhound, helping me wrench:

Back on track, some of you have seen my epic garage sale thread. Well about half the parts came in a round-about way from my old evo8, and one piece I was lucky enough to recover was the rear swaybar:

I wasn't going to do this until after I had some time with the new tires, but I had time and the price I could not pass up. It's a Progress 26mm bar. I had the hotchkis bar on my list since its hollow and would drop a few pounds, but being as this is a budget/simple build, the freebie is gonna do juuuust fine

Of course nothing is truely free, so let's start adding up what it took to put on. Lots of cutting:

Stock mount wouldn't fit so I found this Perrin Stout Mount on ebay for $65 shipped:

Set of new endlinks: $32

Aaand voila. A few hours later (spread over the course of a week or two, lol) it's in.

This setup should be nice--it's still pretty basic and I don't think I'm doing too much at once, still within the confines of 'KISS' and following a path I know works for both street and track use. I put the bar on medium to begin with and will adjust from there. Since I'm still on a stock-ish suspension (bilsteins and swift spec R's) I've been advised that stiffer in the rear may be better.

Ricer math says that the sway bar will help the front end turn a bit better, but the car was pretty neutral (which I liked) as it was so I thought that adding a little aero would be an ok next step. I'm thinking about turn 1 and turn 2 at BIR and 100+mph and how a little more grip/downforce will go a long long ways towards going fast....and I stumbled upon this little gem:

Current aero budget: $35

$20 for an OEM wing--how could I say no? Yes this will plant the rear a bit more but its a start. I almost just 'slapped' it on but TKR Mark talked me into re-doing the clear coat on it so I gotta get off my arse and get going on it now that the car is back on all 4 tires.

The metal strip in back is a gurney flap--3/4" angle aluminum and is apparently the way to go with the OEM wing to get the most out of it. Thanks Brandon ( @Toothy )for the tech info, its pretty insane. Apparently the OEM wing will add about 20kg of downforce ~100mph and adding the gurney flap will add another 14kg on top of that!

I have the metal piece formed (its shitty but what can I say) so that it conforms to the curved rear edge of the wing and angled in on both sides to fit snugly between the uprights. I have it plasti-dipped black and and I'll use 3M tape to secure it. Some people add rivets, I'll start with the tape and see how well that works.

Other than that, I hear some noise coming from the front left brake that is either constantly collecting rocks or something is loose, the xfer case has a little leak down the center of it (watching that closely), and the exhaust is melting the rear bumper a bit.

So yea, evo stuff. Next track event is next Friday August 8th at DCTC, should be fun to shakedown the new setup!
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014   #202
simulatedwood

Drives: 08 Evolution X

Hell yeah buddy! This is coming along nicely! Middle setting on the rsb should be money!
simulatedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014   #203
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by simulatedwood View Post
Hell yeah buddy! This is coming along nicely! Middle setting on the rsb should be money!
I like money! Almost as much as I like titties!

(you ever heard of bad ones?)
Quote:
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
Old 07-30-2014   #204
simulatedwood

Drives: 08 Evolution X

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I like money! Almost as much as I like titties!

(you ever heard of bad ones?)
Only if there is no side boob.. then we have a problem.
simulatedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014   #205
rose0529
Who has my man-card?

Drives: a red car
Send a message via AIM to rose0529

Looking good buddy! I still have the stock wing for that car.... but it won't do much good I'm sure . I have plans for it to be a shelf someday!
rose0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014   #206
rose0529
Who has my man-card?

Drives: a red car
Send a message via AIM to rose0529

Quote:
Originally Posted by simulatedwood View Post
Only if there is no side boob.. then we have a problem.
http://kxxr.fimc.net/Article.asp?id=2352568
rose0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014   #207
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Ive seen some nasty flapjack titties, not good.

The mods look like titty city though! Nice job mayor!
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014   #208
polishmafia
Smells like cat poop

Drives: an evo's fat korean cousin

Nice upgrades!

LOL @ Turbo helping hahaha
polishmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014   #209
scheides
flips McGee

Another track day under my belt! I ran into issues with the FPR hose popping off in session 1, made one lap and parked it to figure out what the problem was. Boo.

On the way down, I noticed the wheel is hanging a little left. Great.

Just rolled over 130k miles!

No bother, had a freaking blast anyways, the new 200TW tires are AMAZEBALLS compared to the 300TW fuzions I had before. Just wow. SO worth every penny, I am just absolutely loving them. The car has SO much more grip, I can nail every corner, push the car further than I could before, and I have that much more margin of safety when I over-do it. The BFG Rivals defintely tell you when they are at their limit so you know to back off a bit and re-assess. This didn't stop me from pushing them to this limit...I had to find it so I knew where it was, right? Still no major brake-away or off-road excursions though, just rippin fun!

Noo, that hose doesn't actually go there.

The new sway bar changes a few dynamics of the car. At higher speeds it just keeps it more flat, the car wants to turn nice and hard. Bam, just what I wanted! At lower speeds, exiting a corner in 2nd gear becomes much more of an effort of self-control (but not a safety issue imho). The car is still very neutral once things set in, but initially the rear end kicks out with heavy throttle (think about that sucker-punch 30psi stock turbo at ~3000rpm) and the rear diff (esp with the mod) is helping track the rear end out--BUT--it is limited in how much this happens. With so so so minor of adjustment (watch my hands in the opening of the video) a minimal counter-steer gets things balanced, turn right to go left, and then rip out of the corner. 4 wheel drift = no problem like this, just awesome (but not ideal I know). I tried pushing the car to do this and while it adds a bit of a quirk to the car, it makes it so much better.

I got to practice this on a bit of re-surfaced pavement (i.e. gravel) near my house a few weeks ago, that was NOT fun but again the car set in and I pulled out nice and smooth. These tires kinda suck on gravel.

I really need to practice slalom with the new setup, didn't get that right yet. Didn't get *most* of things right yet at all to be honest, but that's what these events are for and I'm very grateful for them!

Car aside, I need to work on smooth smooth smooth. I don't know what else to say but that--I'm getting more confident on the track and with this car and as a result I'm more inconsistent. Maybe its as I'm trying things out still but one thing is for sure--I stab the brakes, crank the wheel, and the video below shows it so well. Maybe stupid to post again 'how not to drive' but farkle it--I'm having fun!

Keep in mind--this is session 2 of 5 sessions. I got smoother through the rest of the night but bleeeeeeh my GoPro (original) can't do low-light worth anything. ANyone know if the newer ones are better?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjurCq6c7U0&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjurCq6c7U0

Car has some minor leaks but not enough to slow me down for the rest of the season, just more little crap to deal with in the off-season. No wing yet!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV

Last edited by scheides; 08-13-2014 at 08:14 AM..
Old 08-12-2014   #210
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

Nice work. Makes me want an evo every time.

What do you use to edit your videos?
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014   #211
tehehodi
Braaaaaaaap!

Drives: '09 Silveraydo
Send a message via AIM to tehehodi

You make evos look fun.
tehehodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014   #212
cmspaz
Walls need hugs too

Drives: V10 Touareg, Beater Jetta, Evo IX

Evos? Fun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor
Smart chicks are better. Personally I like a girl to give me her thesis on how to solve the economic crisis while I put it in her ass.
cmspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014   #213
Tachyon

Drives: Icarus

Everyone always remembers their first set of good tires
Old 08-12-2014   #214
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Nice work. Makes me want an evo every time.

What do you use to edit your videos?
Just iMovie. It is simple but it works! I use my old gopro....might have to update that here sometime

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehehodi View Post
You make evos look fun.
Duh, evos ARE fun! I don't have to try too hard, but then again FUN is why I'm doing this! Woot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Everyone always remembers their first set of good tires
I sure do! Eagle gt2's in 1995. I think they were even all-seasons and wow did they make my old GTI go into tripod mode so nicely!!

=D
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 08-31-2014   #215
scheides
flips McGee

Getting ready for PG2014.2 yesterday, took care of a bunch of little stuff. Bled the brakes with a fresh jug of ATE Super Blue (man I NEED a power bleeder!), rotated the tires, fixed up the rubbing/clanking exhaust, and played around with the boost!

Exhaust was rubbing on the rear diff, clanking away here and there, glad this simple fix straightened things out, it was seriously melting the rear bumper and getting BAD.

Weight reduction bro!

Notice the melty plastic on the muffler. Oops

While down at Shawn Carroll's, picked up some pussy:

So, fun fact....I was talking with spazzy about his STS experience last year and he said he was trapping 117mph. I consistently trapped ~113mph at PG2014.1 and was pretty happy with the car, so i wondered what else I could do. Looking at the boost gauge again, I realized the last time I had turned it up I had left it at 'only' 29psi peak. So, decided to fix that. Keep in mind this is the stock turbo so it tapers off pretty quick, but still. Weeeeee!

We'll see if it actually makes any difference. 114mph or bust?

Car feels awesome. Tires feel great, brakes are rock solid again, and the boost hits HARD. Loving STS. Still gotta finish up my little stock wing aero project but otherwise I'm all set for next weekend.

I wanna go fast!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 08-31-2014   #216
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

Very nice!
I'm hoping to do a PG tune-up tomorrow.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014   #217
mdost03

Sonic Champion!
Drives: VA STI

Very nice!! Man-boost ftw
mdost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014   #218
scheides
flips McGee

Gurney flap secured, wing mounted, car washed. All set for PG2014.2!

Sorry for the dark photos--car looks wierd with the wing on it! I know theoretically this will add a bit of understeer but I think anyone watching me come out of the last corner in front of the paddock at DCTC a few weeks back will agree that its probably fine--the car rotates really nicely with the new rear sway bar.

Excited to get out there and have some fun!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
Old 09-11-2014   #219
scheides
flips McGee

TL;DR: 11-second stock turbo evo, smashed cars spinning out, 5 seconds faster on the road course, 2nd place TTS SU.

PG2014.1 is a wrap, fantastic weekend! This event gets more and more organized as time goes on and the weather this time was absolutely perfect--this weekend will live in my mind for a long long time as the icing on the cake of the best summer I've had in years. In December/January I decided that this year I was going to start road racing, and this event was my 6th road racing event of the season, more events than I've ever attended in a summer. I was conservative with money through the whole time so I could just get as much seat time in as possible and focusing on me sucking as little as possible.

Camping spot, i luv:

I'm still inconsistent but once the rubber hit the road I feel like every time I go out on the track I learn something new about the car or myself and keep adding these pieces to my effort to go fast. I'll never be 'the best' but I was shocked how the weekend turned out and I'm proud to say thanks to all of the people that have helped scoot me forward in progress through the year--I hope I did you proud!

I registered for the TTS (Triple Track Showdown) event in the Street Unlimited class. Valent9 is very stock compared to some of the other cars in this class, basically put in here only by the 1000cc injectors it has. That being said, I think we put up a good fight.

Saturday morning was drag racing, I am finally getting consistent with the car here. Stock turbo + the exedy twin disc are like butter leaving the line. I launched the car a total of ~28 times this weekend and she didn't skip a beat! I lowered the tire pressure to ~20psi and with the boost cranked up I was able to get the car down to a 1.7x 60' and 114mph. In June I was struggling to find 1.9's and 113mph. I ran several low 12 second ET's and last run of TTS competition I ran an 11.975, wahoo! Stock turbo son!

Wingless once again!

In grid for drag racing:

The car still has more in it (contrary to my dyno/ecu obsession with the evoX I have really let go of that on this car) so its probably time for a quick trip to the dyno and a turbo upgrade is still nagging in the back of my mind, purely to try and keep up to the guys in their light light RS's but the stock turbo is SO awesome everywhere else on the track I hate to mess with it. I did run without the new wing (see the dirty/rusty spots in pics, lol) for this event.

After drag racing the TTS guys hung around autoX and we ended up in the last heat, didn't get to run until almost 7pm. I re-inflated my tires to ~38psi and sat ready to kick some ass. It was late and started to get dark fast, but we made the most of it. First run out I ran a 35.x and found about 10 spots to go faster. I started to apply them in the second run but damn with the new tires the car just wants to grip and rotate so being conservative I wanted to just pick a few spots to go a little faster on.

At the end of the run, turning facing the setting sun, hauling ass towards the finish I was greeted with a bunch of missing cones so as soon as I realized something was wrong I hit the brakes...pulled past a smashed subaru that I had been talking a lot to all morning, very nice guy, very nice car but he spun into the wall....this almost never happens at autoX but it did this time.

I was a little shook up and honestly botched the next few runs, but finally started to dial things in towards the end. I LOVE the new swaybar/tire setup on the car. I got my time down to a best of 32.9 IIRC and watching the GoPro video of that run there are still a bunch of spots where I can go faster.

It got dark, we ate good food, drank all night and I tried to catch some sleep but I was wide awake for hitting the road course bright and early the next morning. I skipped breakfast and opted for a hot shower instead and showed up ready to rock my practice sessions. I did the 'super-size me' option for TTS and got 2 extra HPDE practice sessions for $50. This is a pretty impossible deal to beat. 4x 20 minute sessions, 9:20, 10:20, 11:20, and 12:20, just enough time inbetween to refuel and let the car cool down.

In paddock for road course:

I ran pretty good the first session, Matt D instructed for me and I was taking it pretty easy to get the car nice and hot and work my way up to going crazy fast. I don't remember if it was the first session or the third but an Integra TypeR spun out in front of me on turn 6. He gave me a wave and was fine, pretty scary none-the less.

The second session I went solo. I know I can't have my hand held forever, so I am trying to force myself to do this more and more--I have to make sure I know my own braking points, my own limits, and dial myself back safely when need be. Well it was a disaster. Nothing major happened but I was all over the place--my line sucked balls, my braking points were horse shit, and I was so inconsistent I was just literally yelling at myself (hrm I probably have video of this).

Third session, after talking with Matt about it he offered to come with but encouraged me to pretend he wasn't there and that he'd be more quiet. This worked awesome (not that I don't love every word coming from his mouth but you get the drift) as I asked a few questions when needed and he even didn't respond to me a few times when I was asking stupid questions/talking too much At the end he told me I had all the pieces I needed to go around the track but if I wanted to go fast I needed to grow a pair and go for it. Gulp. Yea...I am definitely a big pu$$y so this was a good kick that I needed.

Fourth session I felt consitent, strong, and pretty quick. Stayed on teh line, worked on braking points, did my best to just find my zen/happy spot and fill it with E85 fumes and a big helping of 'yeee haw!' It worked. Car felt fast, I felt good, all set to go into competition mode!

After first lap of standing-start, ignition breakup. Easy fix?

After a quick lunch of cheese sticks, lunch meat, and crackers (of champions?) I got ready to do the fourth official TTS event: Standing Start Road Race/Time Attack/High Speed AutoX. Reference point: In June, I ran a bunch of 110.0-second laps and one 109.5. All kinds of stuff happened, but in heat 1 I ran a 108.6, about a second faster than my fastest time last time here. Yaa buddy! Talking with spaz he was in the 106's and I thought more about what Matt D told me....grow a pair....so I went out session 2+3 and started to push the car in more spots, get on the gas earlier, let it hang out in the tighter turns/carousel but most importantly use that new rear wing and hang onto 4th longer going into turn 1....WOW the car is just a f*cking rocket ship! I literally was freaking myself out going into turn 2 (right-hand sweeper, 100+mph) and coming out and flying through turn 3 like never before.

Finished run #8 with a 104.8 and literally woop woop woop'd it up out the window like I was almost running fast (other guys out there were running 100's and less, simply unreal--but lots of aero and slicks). I didn't care, this is so much faster than I had ever run before it was sawwww wheeeeeeeat!!!!!

Ahead of schedule, we got 4 more laps. I was almost out of fuel, so topped up from Ron@RS--next time I *will* bring that 5th 5-gallon container, yes sir!--and hopped back in the car. GoPro is dead, screw it. First lap out I'm FLYING through turn 2 just past the apex and OMG WTF!!! 10-foot wide and 30-foot long swath of gravel on the track. I'm going about 100mph, full throttle in 5th gear, and at the limit of turning right. I love you mom! Goodbye friends! I stay ON the gas and move teh wheel to the left about 1cm as smooooooooth as possible. The car slides left and clears the sand/gravel and I let off once out of the corner. Brown shorts. I hit the brakes and honk and wave at corner worker to stop the next guy, so scared its too late.

Someone told me it was Ronnie that had spun but later I found out it was spazzy, lucky ducky he was ok! Unreal spot to go sideways, I never want to do that.

Brown shorts in tow, I line back up. Adrenaline is PUMPING and I'm scared to go fast. Ugh. Man. The. F*ck. Up. Track is clean, time to do work.

105.x, 105.0, 105.x.

Whew, I'm consinstently running good times, almost 5 seconds faster than in June. YES. Pull up for the last lap and double-check, timing tent says, 'yes, this is your last lap---and you need a 104.42 to move up a position!'

Gulp. Eff you guys! That's 4-tenths faster than my fastest lap so far. No way dude.

Launch, miss 2nd gear, rolling away from the starting line by about 20 feet and just bouncing off the rev limiter, run is shot. Goodbye sweet time, just go have fun--this is your last lap! So I tear it up, put it all together, rest of the lap is just SO SO FUN! Come through the finish and look at the timing lights and cannot believe my eyes--104.24. Wahoooooooo!!!!!! I beep my horn and let out a 'yee haw' and I am pretty sure I see a few people on the starting area jumping up and down for me....(thats how I remember it anyways, lol). Still much slower than the next-fastest in my class I ran more than *5 seconds* faster than when I was here in June. BOSS.

That puts me in 2nd place for my class, and third place overall for TTS. I couldn't be happer! Yes there were a lot of guys that weren't running but I don't care, it was the perfect storm and I was able to have a blast doing it. LOVE IT, what a weekend, what a year!

In case I haven't said it enough, I want to thank anyone that's poked/prodded me into going fast from the sidelines or next to me and specifically: Spazzy, Shawn Carrol, Matt D, Mike Vida, Ron@RS, and Brandon Ranvek. You guys make this SO MUCH FUN and THANK YOU for helping me GO FAST!

Also, thank you to Andy Smedegard and the entire CWSCC crew for putting on TTS! Such an epic event, I love it!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV

Last edited by scheides; 09-11-2014 at 11:26 AM..
Old 09-11-2014   #220
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

Weird, none of your pics are showing up for me.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote