MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 11-02-2004   #1
SlowWhite
Been there, done that.

Send a message via AIM to SlowWhite
DSMLINK AntiLag Feature

What can you tell me about Antilag. What are the Pro's/Con's.... In setting it up what should I be looking at as far as Setting it up.

How much timing needs to get pulled, What RPMS should I set it for, things Like that.

I'm trying to get an understanding of the theory in order to help me figure out how I want to set it up.
1992 GSX - sold
1996 GST - sold
1995 GSX - sold
Best 1/4 - 11.7 on 93oct
Best 1/4 MPH - 120mph
SlowWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004   #2
1badgsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowWhite
What can you tell me about Antilag. What are the Pro's/Con's.... In setting it up what should I be looking at as far as Setting it up.

How much timing needs to get pulled, What RPMS should I set it for, things Like that.

I'm trying to get an understanding of the theory in order to help me figure out how I want to set it up.
It makes alot of noise! Its fun to launch with it. Make sure you have a very good clutch. I used it in my 98 GSX when I had the Fp3055 in it and used DSMLink default settings. If you knock just pull more timing.

1997 Jeep Cherokee (For-Sale)
1998 GSX
1997 AWD Talon (12.5@113 while breaking in third)
1badgsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004   #3
LightningGSX
Hellbound

Make sure you monitor your EGTs.The more timing you pull during antilag, the more heat and stress you're putting on the turbo and manifold
Old 11-06-2004   #4
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Go with the default setting first. It was good for 12-15 psi on my GT.56 in nuetral.

Yeah it will scare old ladies and wake the neighbors. I never looked, but I would bet that at night it's throwing flames out the tail pipe . It makes some really loud popping in the exhaust.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004   #5
Shotgun!
Totenritt

Drives: Cranberry Plastic, Shiny red Bayliner with a V10
Send a message via AIM to Shotgun! Send a message via MSN to Shotgun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningGSX
Make sure you monitor your EGTs.The more timing you pull during antilag, the more heat and stress you're putting on the turbo and manifold
Turbine wheel and exhaust valves hate the anti-lag!
Old 11-08-2004   #6
stikx
Mr -

is this like a misfiring system where it keeps the turbo spooling?
stikx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004   #7
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stikx
Yes it it.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

(#Y#)
Old 11-08-2004   #8
Enes

Send a message via ICQ to Enes Send a message via AIM to Enes Send a message via MSN to Enes Send a message via Yahoo to Enes
yes there is fire out the back when you do it..

-E
Old 11-08-2004   #9
Super Bleeder!!
Reynolds number user

Send a message via AIM to Super Bleeder!!
that happens to me when i eat too many BLAZIN wings at bw3
04 E55 AMG
Super Bleeder!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004   #10
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stikx
What happens is the timing is retarded, and possibly extra fuel is used. With the timing retarded the combustion is happening so late that raw fire is exiting the exhaust through the turbo creating more heat and gas energy than would normally be created.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004   #11
95tsi

Drives: a pos
Anyone have any problems with it? I was trying to run in on my car but all I would get was lots of knock. When I was trying it out, I was getting around 21psi of boost at launch. ??
95tsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004   #12
1ViciousGSX
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95tsi
Anyone have any problems with it? I was trying to run in on my car but all I would get was lots of knock. When I was trying it out, I was getting around 21psi of boost at launch. ??
That's alot of boost for not being under load. I would back that down some. That will help with the knock also.

(#Y#)
Old 11-08-2004   #13
Shotgun!
Totenritt

Drives: Cranberry Plastic, Shiny red Bayliner with a V10
Send a message via AIM to Shotgun! Send a message via MSN to Shotgun!
21psi? Good lord, that's no good. Jet's car at 15psi was enough to know i don't wanna be reborn as a clutch...
Old 11-08-2004   #14
john
Business as usual

Drives: Dodge Viper and Honda Insight
I am not so sure I believe 21psi on the line... I used to get 10-15psi on a 5-5.5K stutterbox. The longer you stay on it, it seems to build a little bit. I have it written in my ECU and I also have a MSD-DIS2 which I use for a stutterbox. I always show knock when I first get on it. Then I step off it and get back on the stutterbox and all is good. The knock goes away. What is the difference between anti lag and a stutterbox? I have never seen it shoot flames though... Not on my car or on Chris C's (V8KLR) old car.
Old 11-08-2004   #15
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance
0psi and mine still spins the tires out of control. The anti-lag is great for trying to keep boost between shifts, but not the greatest thing on the line, unless you have a 9500rpm revlimiter to keep the tires under control on the launch. I would rather use a simple 2-step on the launch and make as little boost as possible just to get a consistant RPM for each launch. Now if we had a RWD with wide slicks and traction/breakage weren't an issue then I would go for 20psi on the launch.
Old 11-08-2004   #16
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92tsiawd84
What is the difference between anti lag and a stutterbox?
Stutterboxes/2-steps are for holding the motor at a constant RPM for launching on any car, boosted or not. It does it by randomly dropping the ignition to cylinder to keep the RPM stable. Doing that just happens to make turbos spool somewhat also. They usually build boost slowly and with a bigger turbo, you might only see a few pounds of boost.

Anti-lag is specifically made to spool turbos. It usually involves retarding the timing a lot and adding some fuel. If setup aggressive enough, it can have a large turbo making 20+psi almost instantly.
Old 11-08-2004   #17
john
Business as usual

Drives: Dodge Viper and Honda Insight
Ok, I would get ~7 on the first backfire and it would keep hitting up to ~15psi on the old 50 trim. I never got a chance to launch the new turbo.
Old 11-09-2004   #18
LightningGSX
Hellbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92tsiawd84
Ok, I would get ~7 on the first backfire and it would keep hitting up to ~15psi on the old 50 trim. I never got a chance to launch the new turbo.
Your ECU was probably pulling the timing to stop the knock
Old 11-09-2004   #19
95tsi

Drives: a pos
Mine would pretty much just jump right to 21psi at launch. Thats with antilag activated. The NLTS I can kinda watch the tach between shifts and pull around 15+ psi on slow shifts. Kinda similar to a rolling launch if you shift slow enough.

So far, my car has run the best with just the dsmlink lauch set at 5500rpm and the anti lag feature turned off. I would always pull too much knock to get the anti lag setup to actually be benificial off the line.
95tsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004   #20
1ViciousGSX
Admin

The anti-lag feature drops out once the car starts moving, same as the stutter-box, so you should get your timing back, unless you are knocking. If I remember correctly you can set what mph for it to release at, but I can't say for sure since my car is not together yet. If anybody else knows, chime in.

(#Y#)