MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 04-14-2010   #1
Cammaxon
Brian Spilner called...

Drives: RR EVO Viii 493AWHP Spilner Mobile(sold)
What Oil Restrictor do I need?

What Oil Restrictor do I need?
20g TD05 standard journal mitsu turbo. bango lines from oil filter housing.
Oil pressure is 110psi first 35 seconds of idle.
oil pressure is 120+psi WOT 25psi of boost 351whp @db.

Note* my oil pressure sending unit is on my oil filter housing (exactly where i unscrewed the stock one, and screwed this one in)

Julien RE-RE built my turbo.
One of the Snap rings in the center-section was bent.
He replaced the ring, Exhaust wheel and bearings. He said the compressor housing seal was bad, but then changed his mind and said it was good. I'm not sure if there was any thing wrong or if it was good because he didn't have a spare seal.

He said the reason it went bad is because I have a 7bolt (2g) head on a 6 bolt block. He said the head has smaller oil ports causing the pressure at the turbo to be way toooo high. He said the oil pressure at start up shouldnt ever be more than 45 psi, even at WOT.

Can i get some clarification? and Perspective? i like that too. A mental view, a vista, an outlook?

I'm sorry i didn't get any good pics of it taken apart but i took pics so i might as well upload them

Old 04-14-2010   #2
blackrosenova400

Re: What Oil Restrictor do I need?

First off take a picture of the inlet of where the oil feed is on the turbo, before you take the pic remove any fittings that are on the feed.

Second, how big is the feed line you were running to the turbo? 4an? If it is with no restrictor, that is indeed why you just flooded the living crap out of the turbo, the seal is junk. You were probalby feeding it 10 times more oil than it could handle.

Post up a pic of the oil feed inlet of the turbo (with no fittings) so we can get a good idea of how much oil it was getting.
Old 04-14-2010   #3
cudvig
Rainbow Boy

Drives: 96 Civic HX
Send a message via AIM to cudvig

Show us a picture of the compressor seal you think was bad.

Around 100 is normal during start up. Don't get stupid or rev the crap out of your motor before it warms up. It should settle down to 10 plus after it warm is fine. Do you have BS removed?

I'm pretty sure the rule of thumb for normal oil pressure is 10psi per 1000 RPM.

The exhaust side looks ok because it looks dry. But I am not sure of the compressor side. How long was the car run for?

-Colin

Last edited by cudvig; 04-14-2010 at 06:52 AM..
cudvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #4
Cammaxon
Brian Spilner called...

It was run for about 10 minutes. The turbo is all back together but not installed on the car. i'll try to take some pics later tonight if i can. i have class till 9pm.
Old 04-14-2010   #5
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammaxon View Post
He said the reason it went bad is because I have a 7bolt (2g) head on a 6 bolt block. He said the head has smaller oil ports causing the pressure at the turbo to be way toooo high. He said the oil pressure at start up shouldnt ever be more than 45 psi, even at WOT.

That is just a flat out fucking lie. No way in hell that would make a turbo go bad. No way. There are plenty of people using that combo, it is about the best combo you can have btw, and making good reliable power without shitting turbos every 200 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #6
scheides
flips McGee

Maybe just put a new MHI turbo on there and be done with it. Screwing around with these rebuilds just turns into an absolute mess, I'm not impressed with them at all.

MHI Evo3 16g or an FP HTA68, brand new, nothing else. You're past the point of trying to save a few bucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #7
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

A journal bearing 20G doesn't need an oil restrictor. Oil pressure from the port on the head is much lower than engine oil pressure.

Oil pressure is temp and RPM based, it has nothing to do with load so please don't list an oil pressure for WOT. 100+ psi at idle with a cold engine is perfectly normal. Once the engine is fully warmed up oil pressure should be between 5-20 psi at idle. At 3k RPM (once fully warmed) oil pressure is generally 60-80psi.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #8
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Quote:
Maybe just put a new MHI turbo on there and be done with it. Screwing around with these rebuilds just turns into an absolute mess, I'm not impressed with them at all.
Agreed!
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #9
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

I also say feed this thing from the head, where you won't see such high pressures. Many people are using the head with success with journal bearing turbos, it gets plenty of oil, whether the turbo is big or small.

Quote:
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #10
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

Switch the feet to the head port and you should be in good shape.
Old 04-14-2010   #11
TkrPerformance

Drives: toaster
Send a message via AIM to TkrPerformance

just buy a new turbo it will save you all the problems.
TkrPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #12
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

Here is what I do on my own DSMs, if your turbo blow a seal or dies from oil starvation though, don't blame me.

Mitsu Turbo with balance shafts: Head port
Mitsu Turbo without balance shafts: Head port
Garrett/PTE/Turbonetics Journal Bearing Turbo with balance shafts: Oil filter port
Garrett/PTE/Turbonetics Journal Bearing Turbo without balance shafts: Head port or oil filter port with FP journal restrictor/filter.
Garrett/PTE/Turbonetics Ball Bearing Turbo: Oil filter port with FP DBB restrictor/filter
Holset turbo: Goodluck

-3 feed line max.
Big, no crimp, no uphill oil return line with the turbo center section pointing as straight down as possible.
Old 04-14-2010   #13
santa
Boost Spike

Drives: 93 talon Automagickinda....
Send a message via AIM to santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammaxon View Post
Julien RE-RE built my turbo.
That's your problem right there. Lots of people on this board have had him rebuild turbo's for them and they fail rather quickly. Bring it to a place that specializes in rebuilding turbos .
Old 04-14-2010   #14
93tsiawd

Drives: 90 gst

Quote:
Originally Posted by santa View Post
That's your problem right there. Lots of people on this board have had him rebuild turbo's for them and they fail rather quickly. Bring it to a place that specializes in rebuilding turbos .
precision
90 Talon Tsi Awd (sold)
97 Talon Esi (sold)
93 240sx S13 (sold)
88 Rx7 Fc (sold)
93tsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #15
Cammaxon
Brian Spilner called...

Talked to Brian at FP. He said Stay away from putting a restrictor on a journal bearing turbo. He also said to stay away from any one that suggests to lol. He said you can't just throw a rebuild kit at a turbo and hope for the best; it's a pretty complicated process to make sure every thing is working perfectly.

Talked to a tech at MAP. He said don't run a restrictor. He said the PSI was completely normal and plenty of people are running turbos for years (not a few hundred miles) without any problems at that psi.

If it blows out again i'll take the loss and buy something new. i'm sick of dealing with it. this is the 3rd time in a year my turbos been off my car. I just wanna go fast. i just dont want my floor board to fall out and i dont want any danger to my manifold.
Old 04-14-2010   #16
blackrosenova400

If you know for a fact that the inlet of the oil feed is restricted then yes it does not need a restictor.

If it doesnt, and hes feeiding it with a 4 an line from the filter housing, he is feeding a shit ton of oil to that turbo and thats why its blowing. Any turbo is gonna blow, it doesnt matter, the drain cannot handle that amount of oil.

The only way for oil to blow out out that seal is for it to be worn, inproperly installed, or too much oil FLOW that the turbo drain cannot handle, backs up into the center section, and out the seal.

I personally ported and altered my oil pressure relief. I now have a nice controlled 15-18 psi at idle and 75-85 psi at 8500 rpm, warm.

I also run a 4 an line feed (form filter housing) to my garret center section turbo with a .09 restrictor, works beautifully.

Take a picture of the inlet of the oil feed on the turbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
A journal bearing 20G doesn't need an oil restrictor. Oil pressure from the port on the head is much lower than engine oil pressure.

Oil pressure is temp and RPM based, it has nothing to do with load so please don't list an oil pressure for WOT. 100+ psi at idle with a cold engine is perfectly normal. Once the engine is fully warmed up oil pressure should be between 5-20 psi at idle. At 3k RPM (once fully warmed) oil pressure is generally 60-80psi.

Last edited by blackrosenova400; 04-14-2010 at 11:15 AM..
blackrosenova400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #17
Iliketurtles

Drives: 1994 tsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by santa View Post
Julien RE-RE built my turbo
this is def why your turbo is off your car
Iliketurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #18
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrosenova400 View Post
If you know for a fact that the inlet of the oil feed is restricted then yes it does not need a restictor.

If it doesnt, and hes feeiding it with a 4 an line from the filter housing, he is feeding a shit ton of oil to that turbo and thats why its blowing. Any turbo is gonna blow, it doesnt matter, the drain cannot handle that amount of oil.
Keep in mind that pressure does not equal volume. In fact, higher pressure equals less volume. Look up Boyle's Law.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #19
scheides
flips McGee

Boyle's law is a gas law, and last time I checked, oil isn't generally in gaseous form in an engine. That would probably be bad
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #20
blackrosenova400

Thats why I said it cannot handle that amount, and didnt say that it cannot handle that pressure. If I go and remove my restrictor on my turbo will you pay for it if it blows? Because it will.

Its so obvious its funny. Theres two options looking at the pics.

1. Inproperly installed seal

2. Too much flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D. View Post
Keep in mind that pressure does not equal volume. In fact, higher pressure equals less volume. Look up Boyle's Law.

Last edited by blackrosenova400; 04-14-2010 at 11:30 AM..
blackrosenova400 is offline   Reply With Quote