MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Classifieds > Want to buy

Old 10-29-2013   #21
Alpha D
Got Boost o_O'' m

Drives: 1991 Eagle Talon TSI AWD Spooling Fiddy Trim Style
Re: Pistons & Rod combo or piston's

My mistake i should have clarified that the .20 over was meant to imply .20 over stock engine bore size. As far as Piston to wall clearance if im not mistaken forged pistons are most likely slightly harder to machine together then?...meaning bore to piston... just because of the expansion rate of the metals? or does a machinest know all of those specs when going to machine the block?

Either way at the moment this is a purchase thread not a Tech thread I will be picking up Goatblowers set within the next upcoming days, and some plasti gauge for bearing clearances on less somebody has a better idea of how to measure clearances.

This might be a noob question as well as the wrong place to post this, however Honda engines have i believe 3 different standardized bearing sizes for both main and rod bearings. Example if one bearing has to tight or to loose of a clearance you have one other option without machining or replacing the rod or crank or cap, now does Mitsubishi do a similar thing? I have Fresh ACL 5 layer bearings i believe it was from my first rebuild i got an order of two bearing set for some reason and was just curious as to how that works?

Last but not least, Honda also orientates its piston rings a specific way in order to maximize combustion chamber sealing. Again are our pistons required to have the rings clocked a specific way? I have not done the research on positioning of rings yet but will be doing it before installing them. Quick answers are appreciated like usually !

By the way in case you wonder why so many honda references (Because i went though the honda pact tech program at dunwoody and well the primary engines we rebuild were honda's yay loss for me )
Alpha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013   #22
Alpha D
Got Boost o_O'' m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushit2.0 View Post
He bought the motor from me, they were new OE re placement .020 over pistons. We did the bore/hone at my work. I think we set ptw to .0025"-.003".

Best engine ever purchased! Solid Sucker...its a shame i damaged it by making a careless mistake. Either way thanks for chimming in John, and well be in touch soon!
Old 10-29-2013   #23
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha D View Post
Last but not least, Honda also orientates its piston rings a specific way in order to maximize combustion chamber sealing. Again are our pistons required to have the rings clocked a specific way? I have not done the research on positioning of rings yet but will be doing it before installing them. Quick answers are appreciated like usually !
Exact position of the ring gap shouldn't matter, though you shouldn't line up the gaps together for top/bottom ring. From what I've read, they actually rotate while in use so the starting position of the gap doesn't matter all that much.
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013   #24
blackrosenova400

Back in the day...?

My Je pistons are slap happy when cold. My ptw is right around .004. They quiet down when they get warm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Blower View Post
As I mentioned above, measure the largest piston, bore off of that measurement, the others can only be looser.

Stock pistons don't expand much at all, so being tight isn't much of a concern. Back in the day, JE pistons had a reputation for growing quite a bit because of the material they used, and PtW needed to be really loose to compensate. Needless to say, there was audible piston slap when they were cold.
Old 10-29-2013   #25
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrosenova400 View Post
Back in the day...?

My Je pistons are slap happy when cold. My ptw is right around .004. They quiet down when they get warm.
Ha, I thought they might have changed that by now. That was the reason I've been using Wiseco's all these years. JE was the piston of choice for the Buschur motors back around 2001.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013   #26
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha D View Post
My mistake i should have clarified that the .20 over was meant to imply .20 over stock engine bore size. As far as Piston to wall clearance if im not mistaken forged pistons are most likely slightly harder to machine together then?...meaning bore to piston... just because of the expansion rate of the metals? or does a machinest know all of those specs when going to machine the block?

Either way at the moment this is a purchase thread not a Tech thread I will be picking up Goatblowers set within the next upcoming days, and some plasti gauge for bearing clearances on less somebody has a better idea of how to measure clearances.

This might be a noob question as well as the wrong place to post this, however Honda engines have i believe 3 different standardized bearing sizes for both main and rod bearings. Example if one bearing has to tight or to loose of a clearance you have one other option without machining or replacing the rod or crank or cap, now does Mitsubishi do a similar thing? I have Fresh ACL 5 layer bearings i believe it was from my first rebuild i got an order of two bearing set for some reason and was just curious as to how that works?

By the way in case you wonder why so many honda references (Because i went though the honda pact tech program at dunwoody and well the primary engines we rebuild were honda's yay loss for me )
I can explain all this stuff when you pick up the stuff. But yeah, IIRC, the 95-97 motors used different sized bearings based on the stampings on the block, I remember Rick Shindley rebuilding crankwalked 2G motors and showing me this, I've only built 6-bolt and EVO motors.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013   #27
dsmreck

Drives: 98 gsx

best way to measure would be a dial bore guage and a good set of calipers and then plastigauge for a final test.

for anything u need to know on dsm check out jafromobile on youtube. everything else is a quik search.

for 7bolts i bealieve it is 1g, reg thrust, and split thrust
dsmreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013   #28
dsmreck

Drives: 98 gsx

goatblower the point i was trying to make was if he had a ptw of 6 already because of pistin size diff. oh well
dsmreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013   #29
Alpha D
Got Boost o_O'' m

Sounds good blower, and i agree as far as the ring rotation...never looked into if they are capable of rotating a complete 360 degrees....and i figured the bore and caliper gauge would be the only way to go measuring the rod with its cap on when you pull it and then measure the crank journal do some math and go from there. I think itll be tricky doing it with the crank in place, but hey whats the worst that can happen I SEIZE MY ENGINE YAY!

Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it and hope to have the car running again this weekend!