MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 04-04-2005   #1
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

Send a message via AIM to Pimpin Dsmstyle
Looking for tranny facts.

Since Im not exactly sure what year AWD chassis I will pick up, Id like to gain some general know how to how the transmissions work throughout the years. I need to know what transmissions work with what drive shafts and rear ends. What the differences are, and most of all, what combination is best for performance.

Im sure topics like this have been discussed in other threads, but I want information direct so it is clear and understandable to someone such as myself.

Id like to start shopping for an AWD transmission as soon as possible because it seems like one of the harder dsm items to locate. Again, thank you for any help you can provide.

... I only need information pertinant to 1g 90-94. The car will have a 6 bolt if that matters at all.
Old 04-04-2005   #2
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15
Re: Looking for tranny facts.

1G's and 2G's have different length driveshafts. Manuals and autos have different rear-end ratios. The 90 tranny has different length shift rods on the tranny than the 91-94's do, but swapping a few parts like the shift cables, brackets and shifter will make it work perfect. GVR-4's have a longer first gear, but is otherwise identical to the 91-94 tranny. Internals is another story, but most of the parts except the 2nd gear cluster are all 1G parts for the best overall tranny.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005   #3
Wizard

Send a message via AIM to Wizard Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard
Re: Looking for tranny facts.

Don't forget that 97+ have different ratio inside the tranny and transfer case. As well as different axle sizes. You cannot run a 90-96 Transfer case on a 97+ tranny. Ratios will not work. And the axles from a 97+ are bigger on the input side of the axles.

94's seem to be the best overall trannys. They constantly attempted to improve the internals thru the years but 2g trannys overall seem to be weaker. Mostly in the diffs and probably due to the fact they were always trying to save weight by making stuff thinner, lighter, etc. 1g's have 2nd gear problems whereas 2g's have 3rd gear issues.

Wiz
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote