MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Brakes / Body / Suspension

Old 04-11-2014   #21
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance
Re: 2G carbon addiction started...

Paint the CF, it looks like shit in a few years, if the car is ever outside.
Old 04-11-2014   #22
TkrPerformance

Drives: toaster
Send a message via AIM to TkrPerformance

Easy fix for that is sand off the gell coat and put real clear coat on it all and it will not have a problem
TkrPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014   #23
dogwhistle

Drives: Life's too short to drive boring cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane@DBPerformance View Post
Paint the CF, it looks like shit in a few years, if the car is ever outside.
Via clear coat color change or pitting? I beleive you I'm just curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TkrPerformance View Post
Easy fix for that is sand off the gell coat and put real clear coat on it all and it will not have a problem
Referring to Shane or how to fix the lexan?

I already have noticed the differences in carbon clear coats between the fenders and the hood and my obviously dipped trim. I think the hatch will be spaced enough but the wheels need a good paint job.
Old 04-12-2014   #24
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwhistle View Post
Via clear coat color change or pitting? I beleive you I'm just curious.
I don't know. Just peeling and faded/dull/color changing. I see a lot of cars on the dyno with carbon fiber parts on them that are a few years ago and most look like crap. Maybe do what TKR said, if you want the CF look. I prefer painted, but that can cost a decent amount of money to get it right.
Old 04-13-2014   #25
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

The problem is that most people want the CF look, so it gets the nice weave finish and gel coat which doesn't last more than a few years if the car sees a lot of sun. The cost is also a huge markup because of time to lay the nice finish.

The CF parts with a nice finish and gel coat weigh a decent amount more than carbon parts that look crappy but are meant to be painted, minimum 15-20% more weight and a lot more cost. I think for my Exige the unfinished carbon hatch weighs 5lbs @ $1700 and the finished weave and gel coat part weighs 7lbs @ $2500.

The only hard part is finding places that make unfinished carbon parts that are meant to be painted. Not many people care about the weight and cost savings, only want the look. If you really care about weight savings, get the bare carbon parts (if you can find them) and paint them.

Sanding down the gel coat and doing a real clear coat on the carbon weave is risky, because you might sand down too far and ruin the weave, and then you have to end up painting it anyway, with the added weight of the final weave. Plus you should probably wear a mask, so if you do sand into the carbon fiber you don't get any CF dust into your lungs, definitely not good to breath that stuff in.

Just my .02c.
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014   #26
dogwhistle

Drives: Life's too short to drive boring cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane@DBPerformance View Post
I don't know. Just peeling and faded/dull/color changing. I see a lot of cars on the dyno with carbon fiber parts on them that are a few years ago and most look like crap. Maybe do what TKR said, if you want the CF look. I prefer painted, but that can cost a decent amount of money to get it right.
Noted sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asshanson View Post
The problem is that most people want the CF look, so it gets the nice weave finish and gel coat which doesn't last more than a few years if the car sees a lot of sun. The cost is also a huge markup because of time to lay the nice finish.

The CF parts with a nice finish and gel coat weigh a decent amount more than carbon parts that look crappy but are meant to be painted, minimum 15-20% more weight and a lot more cost. I think for my Exige the unfinished carbon hatch weighs 5lbs @ $1700 and the finished weave and gel coat part weighs 7lbs @ $2500.

The only hard part is finding places that make unfinished carbon parts that are meant to be painted. Not many people care about the weight and cost savings, only want the look. If you really care about weight savings, get the bare carbon parts (if you can find them) and paint them.

Sanding down the gel coat and doing a real clear coat on the carbon weave is risky, because you might sand down too far and ruin the weave, and then you have to end up painting it anyway, with the added weight of the final weave. Plus you should probably wear a mask, so if you do sand into the carbon fiber you don't get any CF dust into your lungs, definitely not good to breath that stuff in.

Just my .02c.
I have access to a neighbor's aircraft company's resources for help (ionaircraft.com, I'm on the homepage :P) and I'll discuss with him the best ways to get the old finish off when it discolors etc and have it painted black. They have some serious capabilities of actually reapplying a great top coat but at what cost and weight is the point you mentioned. I think I'll wait until they disappoint me appearance wise, and then bring it down to the surface, save the weight and do a light black/clear layer to protect it. Strong UV resistant stuff to be exact. I have made several compression molded parts with absolute minimal surface resin and it was amazing how light it was but then again it didn't look very shiny in the least.

Thanks for the input guys, I want to make it purdy and still keep function. The doors and tubular cross member are coming after I deal with drivetrain beef later on...