MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > The Parking Lot - On & Off Topic > Official MitsuStyle.com Topics

Old 10-12-2011   #261
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon
Re: The Gun Thread

I think I'm going to buy a complete upper receiver assembly all in one, just to make sure everything is together and to spec. Wasn't going to get any brand in particular, just DPMS, RRA, or whomever has the best deal. Probably some sort of 18" or 20" SS barrel.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011   #262
blackawdtsi

Drives: 2G DSM

Check out Bravo Company.
blackawdtsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011   #263
1G_DSM

Drives: 1994 Eagle Talon TSI AWD Auto

This is sort of on topic. See if you can spot me in my little unexpected cameo in this popular youtube video. I'll give you a hint, I'm the only Asian guy lol. Seriosly though that's me so you gun guys might have shot a bad guy poster of me without realizing it.

http://youtu.be/yFEsCga1jos
1G_DSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #264
tpunx99GSX

Tournaments Won: 3

Drives: Lancer and Durango
Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

I know i probably have to reread this whole thread. But Jessica and I are in the market for an AR-15, mostly for playing around shooting targets up north or at the range, and i suppose for home defense. (Mostly scare the bejesus out of anyone breaking into the house, See a pit bull, and then see the owner holding an Assault rifle i think would work)

Ive been looking at a couple and doing research, such as finding the right caliber, style, and manufacturer. After reading this article http://www.chuckhawks.com/definitive...ce_caliber.htm to kind of gauge what caliber i want to look at. I'm thinking the .308/7.62 would be a fun round to shoot, and at a good price. Also thinking around a 16" barrel. don't think i want to go too much smaller than that.
Ive been looking at offerings from DPMS as well as Rock River Arms. Don't really want to spend too much over $1000.
Any Advice or other manufactures i should take a look at? This weekend we are going to go to the range and fire off some rounds to get a feel for the AR's. I've only shot .22 rifles and hand guns, but looking for something that not only looks cool, but is fun and smooth to shoot.
Also a good search for reviews and field tests is going on youtube and searching "Trial By Fire Sledgehammer" They go through a bunch of different equipment and run through a course that makes pretty good use of it.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.

Last edited by tpunx99GSX; 11-07-2011 at 08:58 AM..
tpunx99GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #265
blackawdtsi

Why .308?

DPMS is a good starter brand, it gives you knowledge needed in order to appreciate higher level brands. You may want a scope or red dot sight that usually aren't included with rifles so figure that into your budget. It's also a good thing you don't want a smaller than 16" barrel because you can't get one without going through a lot of hassle with with the ATF and it would defeat your .308 round.

PS, AR15s are .223 / 5.56. AR10s are .308 / 7.62

I also want to mention, shooting is a parishable skill. If you want it for defense, shoot it a lot.

Last edited by blackawdtsi; 11-07-2011 at 09:57 AM..
Old 11-07-2011   #266
tpunx99GSX

Send a message via ICQ to tpunx99GSX Send a message via AIM to tpunx99GSX Send a message via MSN to tpunx99GSX Send a message via Yahoo to tpunx99GSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackawdtsi View Post
Why .308?

DPMS is a good starter brand, it gives you knowledge needed in order to appreciate higher level brands. You may want a scope or red dot sight that usually aren't included with rifles so figure that into your budget. It's also a good thing you don't want a smaller than 16" barrel because you can't get one without going through a lot of hassle with with the ATF and it would defeat your .308 round.

PS, AR15s are .223 / 5.56. AR10s are .308 / 7.62
Well i guess I'm not stuck on the .308/7.62. Really i need to just get to the range and shoot both to see how accurate i am with each. Mainly when i was looking at the different characteristics of the rounds (FPS/Stopping Power/Drop) . Mainly i would like a fairly accurate and fast round likely in the 0-300m range. Ive done a little research, but still have a long way to go.
DPMS and RRA guns are around the same price, but i hear the RRA guns are a bit more reliable.
I plan on shooting it A lot. Not only for practice, but i love the feeling you get after leaving the range, all stress gone. Its a Mans Spa Day. Plus i have a couple good friends that will also be getting guns, (Brother in law, is an Austrian Gun Nut, looking to get a Yugoslavian Rifle, i forget what model.)
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. This is significantly different from the common usage of the word "theory", which implies that something is a conjecture, hypothesis, or guess.

Last edited by tpunx99GSX; 11-07-2011 at 10:03 AM..
Old 11-07-2011   #267
sleepydsm
Kevin

Send a message via AIM to sleepydsm

I hope to build (yes build) an AK47 soon. I'll be using a parts kit and a stamped reciever flat. So folding the receiver, riveting it all together, pressing a barrel in the front trunnion, all that fun jazz, and hopefully home-made parkerize. I am excited for that AWESOME AK bolt noise hahahaha.
Currently on Corvette #4
sleepydsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #268
sleepydsm
Kevin

Send a message via AIM to sleepydsm

Here is a big topic. handgun caliber.

I'm kind of the type who believe just about any bullet has enough effect to stop an intruder.

What do people here recommend? I was think 9mm. I know a local company here in WBL, MN makes a ultra sub combact 9mm that shoots 9mm+ rounds, and is apparently the most powerful 9mm+ handgun in the world. Very tiny, not cheap, looks badass.
Currently on Corvette #4
sleepydsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #269
tpunx99GSX

From what I've seen you can't go wrong with a Glock. Simple and easy to use when your heart is pumping and pressure is on. My brother in law got a Glock recently and i like the feel of it. Ive shot those before and a very easy gun to fire.
Otherwise Desert Eagle .50 cal. in Titanium gold hahah
Old 11-07-2011   #270
blackawdtsi

I have no idea how to say what I want without sounding condescending (which I don't want to do.) So I will leave that part out of this post, but as for the rest...

I have my AR15 sighted in at 50 yards and under 50 yards it's a max of 2 inches low. 50-200 yards it's zeroed to 2 inches high and again 2 inches low at 230 yards. To be honest it's hard to hit anything at 200 yards with even a little bit of stress added (jogging, adrenaline, etc) without a scope and going prone. If this rifle is more for hunting I'd understand .308 but not for defense. I can get 1000 NATO quality 5.56 rounds for $300. 1000 rounds of NATO 7.62 is $550. Not to mention if you want to be cheap for training you can get cheap russian .223 for 1k/$190.

RRA is a really decent brand. Spikes Tactical is better at the same price. That being said, I had a DPMS as my first ar15 and it only jammed on me once out of ~700 rounds because of me, not the rifle.

If you want to shoot an ar15 without a rental fee, you can try mine. (You have to supply ammo though)
Old 11-07-2011   #271
blackawdtsi

Kevin, I wouldn't go any smaller than 9mm. Check out the Kel Tec PF9 if you're looking for a sub compact.

I also like the simplicity of Glocks. I regret selling my 17 but now have a 19 (both 9mm). That being said a lot of guns are as simple as Glocks. M&Ps, FNXs and SIGs are just as simple to field strip.
Old 11-07-2011   #272
tpunx99GSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackawdtsi View Post
I have no idea how to say what I want without sounding condescending (which I don't want to do.) So I will leave that part out of this post, but as for the rest...

I have my AR15 sighted in at 50 yards and under 50 yards it's a max of 2 inches low. 50-200 yards it's zeroed to 2 inches high and again 2 inches low at 230 yards. To be honest it's hard to hit anything at 200 yards with even a little bit of stress added (jogging, adrenaline, etc) without a scope and going prone. If this rifle is more for hunting I'd understand .308 but not for defense. I can get 1000 NATO quality 5.56 rounds for $300. 1000 rounds of NATO 7.62 is $550. Not to mention if you want to be cheap for training you can get cheap russian .223 for 1k/$190.

RRA is a really decent brand. Spikes Tactical is better at the same price. That being said, I had a DPMS as my first ar15 and it only jammed on me once out of ~700 rounds because of me, not the rifle.

If you want to shoot an ar15 without a rental fee, you can try mine. (You have to supply ammo though)
I really appreciate the knowledge, so believe me if I'm wrong about something definitely tell me I'm full of shit. Because i likely am . I would love to shoot your AR15. We are getting a group together to go on saturday, So far, its myself, Jessica, My brother in law and sister, and my buddy and his wife. We are all looking to purchase ARs. My Brother in law almost purchased but it turned out that he needed to provide 3 months of utility bills to get the approval to purchase. (Austrian now permanent resident).
Mainly i want to shoot one or two of them and get a feel for the different rounds.
Old 11-07-2011   #273
blackawdtsi

Not sure if Bill's has an AR10 to rent. But they definitely have a SOCOM II which is 7.62x51 / .308 and is essentially a 16" barreled M1 Garand. I rented it once and it's really fun to shoot.

I bought a .22 last Saturday that I need to sight in the wife and I were planning on going Saturday already haha.
Old 11-07-2011   #274
tpunx99GSX

Nice! Do you have to give them notice if you plan on renting the Socom II, or any AR-15s?
Old 11-07-2011   #275
blackawdtsi

No, it's first come first serve. But I rarely see any rifles being rented.
Old 11-07-2011   #276
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

Agreed, the .308 seems like overkill for just a fun & defense gun. The rounds are really spendy too, I'd go with the .223.
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #277
1QUICK4
Crash Course Racing

Drives: in circles
Send a message via Yahoo to 1QUICK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by asshanson View Post
Agreed, the .308 seems like overkill for just a fun & defense gun. The rounds are really spendy too, I'd go with the .223.
Or a 5.45x39 upper
Old 11-07-2011   #278
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

A lot more people seem to be into guns these days...
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #279
CarRacer

Drives: 91 Galant VR4

I just went to Bill's today to rent their AR. It was a DPMS and very fun to shoot. I picked up a stripped lower at the gun show at the State Fair a couple weeks ago and wanted to be sure before I started my build.

I'm looking to build something simple as well for my first AR. Have you looked into Palmetto Armory? They sell rifle kits to be used in conjunction with your stripped lower. The kit I'm looking at is $490 for everything with $15 shipping. Also, since it's not considered a rifle without the lower you don't pay tax and they can ship directly to you.
CarRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #280
b35talon

Drives: 92 TSI AWD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1WhhKH3QVU FTW?
b35talon is offline   Reply With Quote