Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #682
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon
Re: House Projects

So we finally have been forced to clean out the spare upstairs bedroom. It's been sitting unused so it's where all the stuff we didn't get around to dealing with had been shoved out of sight out of mind. Here's how it looks now. Sorry if this looks wierd as hell, experimenting with taking panoramic photos.
http://mitsustyle.com/forums/attachm...1&d=1391566576

Also went over to a buddies new house and loved his basement setup. So I'm working on trying to plan out the basement theatre setup. Here's a couple pictures of the basement today. Again sorry if they look weird, experimenting with panoramic pics.

360* pic, kinda gotta wrap your brain around this pic because the beginning is on the left and mates the to the end on the right
http://mitsustyle.com/forums/attachm...1&d=1391567229

Small panorama view, easier to understand:
http://mitsustyle.com/forums/attachm...1&d=1391567384

and here's what it looks like in the unfinished theatre room
http://mitsustyle.com/forums/attachm...1&d=1391568083

Basically what our thought right now is, that whole wall/door that separates the living area from the theater room is coming down. We originally thought it'd be nice to have that room totally secluded, but we're not the secluded type. We like open and spacious. So that wall will become a half wall with a bar/counter top on top of it, with bar stools along it. No more door, just an opening to walk past the half wall to enter that area. A projector will project on the long wide flat wall so you can see it from anywhere in the basement. The current furniture will move from the area it is now, to the other side of the half wall, that area will become the main TV area. We will still leave the flat screen TV in the corner by the fire place, but that area is going to become just a big open common recreational area, likely filled with kid toys. In the future, probably throw some game tables (Pool, Foosball, Pinball) over there. Also where you see the small little wine cabinet, we will be building a wet bar that goes against that wall.

Pretty much it. If anyone on here is hardcore audio/video gurus, I'd love to hear suggestions on setting up our theater area. Looking for quality on a budget. No interested in spending $1500 on a projector, nor do I want a cheap Pico projector. Just good bang for the buck. We have a 12" JBL powered sub, and probably will use her Samsung receiver/speaker setup along with her Samsung Bluray player in there. But completely open to hear if anyone has suggestions. Would like to reuse what we already have as much as possible like the receiver and bluray player. My buddies place I went to, he had a project similar to this and it looked pretty good, even when he had the blinds open: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/wxga-dig...4#tab=overview

Here's a shitty little sketch I made trying to depict what I'm saying.
Now:
http://mitsustyle.com/forums/attachm...1&d=1391570211

After:
http://mitsustyle.com/forums/attachm...1&d=1391571126
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	baby room.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	352.7 KB
ID:	14179   Click image for larger version

Name:	downstairs 360.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	14180   Click image for larger version

Name:	basement panorama.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	14181  

Click image for larger version

Name:	theatre panorama.jpg
Size:	257.4 KB
ID:	14182   Click image for larger version

Name:	before.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	330.4 KB
ID:	14183   Click image for larger version

Name:	after.jpg
Size:	324.8 KB
ID:	14186  

2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test

Last edited by Halon; 02-04-2014 at 09:32 PM..
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014   #683
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

Nice, you should come check out my place when you get some time.
It might give you some ideas on basement layouts.

I have to finish installing a new garage door seal on the bottom of the door today and then I'm going to install a garbage disposal from scratch.
Old 02-05-2014   #684
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

I have been doing a lot of research on theater setups lately and have mine pretty much nailed down. We have the same counter/bar stool setup going in behind the main viewing area. That works great!

Check out the BenQ 1070W projector, one of the best entry level projectors with a good amount of light which you will need since it is more open. Fixed projector screen? I have mine about 75% wired up right now. I just got done figuring out the 7.1 side surround speakers.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014   #685
Halon
Pewp Champion

Yeah Brown, definitely need to swing by one of these days.

Jet, I'm going to do a fixed screen. Either an actual screen or just paint a rectangle on the wall as the screen. Still have a lot of figuring out to do there. Mostly I'm trying to figure out what components to get, what wires to run, because I can start doing that now. I figure I'll install some PVC piping from the equipment rack area to the projector, run a couple HDMI cables and a USB cables in there for now as well as a fish line for pulling more later. Then speaker wires from the equipment rack to speaker locations (probably just do a 5.1 setup).
Old 02-05-2014   #686
BriK

Drives: GG IX MR SE

There are a lot of audiophiles on MNAudi and I've found this to be a good thread on exactly what you're describing: http://www.mnaudi.com/forums/index.php?topic=67649.0
Old 02-05-2014   #687
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Fixed screen is the cheapest. I would imagine you are going between 100 - 120"? Check out avsforum.com, by far the leading resource on this stuff. Projectorcentral.com has some great reviews too. Monoprice has some nice in-wall speakers for a good price AVS has a nice DIY section for screens too. Fixed are easy to make and cheap. I am doing a tab tensioned retractable screen.

Old 02-05-2014   #688
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Ill be doing a pull down screen this year with basic HD projector (TBD). If I were you id just put a retractable screen in the main downstairs family room above the fire place, and just make that your theater room and keep the other room as storage/work shop.

For wiring, youll need to run whatever your system will support. At min id run Cat 6 cables, good speaker wire to all locations, HDMI cables, and rca cables if you need them run to a cabinet thats going to house your stuff.

Theres a free 50" rear projection TV on mnaudi if you want a good deal!!

Last edited by A//// Guy; 02-05-2014 at 09:32 AM..
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014   #689
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Yep, and make room for a HTPC if you decide to go that route later. If you have a server with your movies on a really nice little box to handle that is the Dune TV102. Works slick and streams full bluray.

Old 02-06-2014   #690
turbotalon1g

I need to get into this stuff more.

Anywho, no pics here just some advice. DO NOT replace your bottom garage door seal in teh winter, worse job ever. I bet it's a 20-30 min job in the spring/summer, but with the cold it was miserable. Also buy a quality seal, the one I got from lowes is basically frozen solid in the cold so there are still some minor gaps on occasion when the door is closed.

I'm going to pick up a garage door threshold kit and see if I can improve my sealing quality.

Today I will be tackling a garbage disposal install.
Old 02-06-2014   #691
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
I need to get into this stuff more.

Anywho, no pics here just some advice. DO NOT replace your bottom garage door seal in teh winter, worse job ever. I bet it's a 20-30 min job in the spring/summer, but with the cold it was miserable. Also buy a quality seal, the one I got from lowes is basically frozen solid in the cold so there are still some minor gaps on occasion when the door is closed.

I'm going to pick up a garage door threshold kit and see if I can improve my sealing quality.

Today I will be tackling a garbage disposal install.
garbage disposal isn't too bad, I suck at plumbing so mine was a nightmare.

I ended up using the rubber cement type shit on all the connections. My cuts weren't square enough and the compression fittings kept leaking and if i moved the pipes to fix one it would leak somewhere else. So I said Eff it and used the permanent stuff that I will have to cut out one day if I need to change it.

Take your time, measure you stuff like 10 times and try to make sure your pipes are perfectly square so those fittings work and seal.

good luck!
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014   #692
A//// Guy

I replaced both my entire garage doors in the cold over the past 3 weeks Just gotta dress for it.

Brown, if the door doesnt go all the way down to seal well, maybe your spring tension is too high.

Been doing lots of updates to the house since the hail storm in August. Roof was done in November, Siding on the front is done as of last week, did shakes up on top and some white trim molding, gutters too. Garage doors are done, got ones with windows, love the natural light inside the garage now. Some siding left on the back of the house to replace.

Quick pic:

Replaced quite a few peices of broken siding on the detached rear garage by myself, that was last Saturday. Took around 6 hours.

Painting a few walls in the next week inside, thats always fun.

Glad spring is coming soon, then I can dig back into the garden!

Last edited by A//// Guy; 02-06-2014 at 12:22 PM..
Old 02-06-2014   #693
Halon
Pewp Champion

Looks good peter, I like the garage door windows.
Old 02-07-2014   #694
BriK

Drives: GG IX MR SE

Quote:
I don't have experience with the threshold kits but I've thought about them and looked into them and I've ultimately decided on a different route. The problem I see is that the threshold raises the point at which the door is "closed" so while the little lip on the threshold may seal tiny little air leaks at the bottom, at least on my door, I'd be creating one new continuous gap all the way across the top-- solving a small problem and creating a bigger one.

I've ordered but not yet installed a brush weatherseal kit (I ordered two of the Genuine Hotrod Hardware kits from Summit Racing: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/se...FfFDMgodt00A1g) which I'll screw into the inside top and bottom of the garage door; I'll keep the normal seal at the bottom too so the brush is meant to seal any little gaps that are left. For the sides of the door, I've nailed the garage bottom seals used for the "home depot lip" mod on the inside and will be replacing the seals on the outside in Spring. It's hard to explain but, basically, I'll end up with seals on all sides of the door both inside and outside.

In related news, I more than doubled the horsepower of... my garage door opener. I upgraded from a 0.5 HP chain drive to a 1.25 HP Chamberlain belt drive with all the bells and whistles-- battery backup, smartphone app, etc. I was going to replace the door rollers with ceramic ball bearing ones but the opener has made opening and closing dead silent so I've ditched that idea for now. I can join in on the cold weather moaning too since I did the uninstall and install the week it was 20 below multiple days on end.
Old 02-07-2014   #695
A//// Guy

There shouldnt be any gap on top of the garage door if you install a threshold kit, it would probably move the door maybe .5 inches off the current spot. If the top section of the door has a little too much arc in it, or gap from the outside, there is an adjustment for that on the inside of the door at the very top of each side. But if you have a good seal at the bottom of your door, you dont need a threshold kit, unless water is coming inside from a sloped driveway or something. If your door leaves a gap at the bottom, your door spring tension is too high which makes the door too light.

Adjustment plate looks like this:

Old 02-07-2014   #696
turbotalon1g

I'm gonna take a closer look at adjusting the door some before I buy anything else.
Thanks for the tips guys.
Old 04-06-2014   #697
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
First off, in the name of efficiency, I replaced of the most commonly used bulbs in my house with Cree brand LEDs from Home Depot. I made a nifty spreadsheet weighing hours used per day, wattage, etc and figure I should save a solid $20 per month with about a $300 investment. These things are supposed to last 20 years, so if they hold up like some of the other LED bulbs I have, I will be happy. I got the soft-white version and they are nearly identical to the incandescent bulbs that I replaced them with.
You inspired me to do LED replacement. So far I have just done the kitchen/dining room: 7 recessed floods, all were 65W. Replaced them with GE 10W that are actually a little brighter than the old bulbs. I went with GE because I found them for a few bucks cheaper than the Cree and the specs were nearly identical. Next I need to find 6 LED candle style for the living room ceiling fan and bedroom ceiling fan. That will probably be it, since we don't use the other rooms much. I figured it will take about a year for them to pay for themselves at $7.50 each.

Next up on the list is a projector for the basement. I'm getting one from our realtor, it's a couple years old but can't complain about free. Just have to find a screen now.
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014   #698
scheides
flips McGee

Make sure to check CRI of any bulbs you put in, that's what makes or breaks lighting and the reason I really like the Cree bulbs.

I just checked and my electric bill this month was $40-75 less than the previous five Aprils. Definitely working!
Quote:
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014   #699
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

These GE are 80 CRI, from what I saw online the Cree were the same.
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014   #700
turbotalon1g

These LED bulbs really save that much money?