MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Old 09-18-2014   #41
RlySlow

Drives: 1994 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
Re: 94 TSi AWD - Reliable 11 second DD

Nothing really new, just drove the car the 3 hours back home last weekend so next time Im back I can work on pulling the trans.

Of course I took it out and photo whored it before parking it.

Was definitely a fun year with the car, can't wait to get it ready for next year - though just hoping with the way my school and all is looking next year I'll even have time to do much with it.
RlySlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014   #42
RlySlow

Again nothing new on the front, still need to pull my trans for a rebuild or else find one used.
Have found a few decent ones used but either people didn't get back to me or didn't want to work with me on shipping.

Anywho I came home for the first time in quite awhile this weekend and took the car out of storage to drive it around a bit this weekend for no other reason than I missed driving it.

Also took some additional pictures to send in for the DSMTuners DSM Calendar competition, hoping one of mine gets selected.

seeing her for the first time in almost 2 months, lookin neglected

trying to make it look good

Old 12-26-2014   #43
RlySlow

updating for shits and giggle, even though nothing too much has changed yet.

I'm up early today, heading out soon on a 6 hour trip to pick up a good stock trans for $100 which I'm going to throw in for a temporary fix while I rebuild mine. Still want to go with a semi-built trans so don't plan to stick with the stocker but at least she'll be more friendly to drive daily again - though she's still not going to come out as soon as there's any salt down.

Also she did make the DSMTuners 2015 calendar! Now I guess I gotta buy one.

So hopefully I'll be able to update this weekend with the trans in! Still need to buy a clutch too but the act2600 still shifts fine so it should be fine to be left in with the temp trans for the time being. It only slips if it gets hot, usually after too much of a burnout before staging. If it looks really insanely bad though I might bite the bullet and order one and wait to finish the trans til it comes.

On another note, I finally caved and put her back on 91 pump on a very "safe" tune. Figured for the little driving I do in winter like this I didn't need to stay on e85 and 23psi. Took off the MBC so I'm running off the 14.7psi wastegate spring. Running a pretty flat 7-9 degrees of timing through WOT and 10.5 target a/f. I forgot how slow it can be haha. Should be really safe though. Still feels like she might have a mid-low 13 in it though.
Spent christmas eve tuning it, got it pretty solid. Drives perfect, definitely miss the power but the main motivation was 91 is now actually even cheaper at the pump than e85. Being that I don't beat on it much right now it just made sense to do the switch back. Will probably go back on e85 in April.
Old 12-26-2014   #44
Mark Leasure

I love how clean this thing is! Very nice.
Fastest: 92 Talon AWD – 8.14 @ 171 MPH
www.maperformance.com
Mark Leasure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014   #45
scheides
flips McGee

Any pics of the engine bay? This thing looks dang nice! Same color as my old 1G
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014   #46
RlySlow

thanks! i try to keep it nice.
I don't like to show the engine bay haha, it's pretty nasty.
It's finally getting some light love though here soon, but I wont be even remotely happy with it until I finally find a reason to pull the motor and re-do the wiring/tuck it. It's all so sloppy and nasty.
The new FMIC/piping alone should help it look a lot nicer alone.
Also picked up a brand new tial q in black - first start to my planned black sleeper engine bay theme. Eventually when I pull the motor I plan to get the VC re-done and powdercoated in black, powdercoat all my IC piping black as well as the intake mani. Would really like to get a mintish heat shield to rig up with high temp black paint. Just want a simple sleeperish engine bay.

Also need a catch can so I can finally quit breaking the dsm cardinal rule using one of those stupid little breather filters on the VC and spraying the area with oil here and there.

best I think I have that shows the engine bay, I try to avoid pictures of it haha

Last edited by RlySlow; 12-27-2014 at 04:29 AM..
RlySlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015   #47
RlySlow

busted ass this weekend since i had to go back home to finish what i started over break but got caught up waiting on parts. Drove 3 hours home from school friday night, worked all friday and saturday night, drove the car back up to school yesterday. She even set a new record for mpgs for herself - 32.4mpg.

Anyway put in the extra trans and it's perfect, better shape than I thought it was!
Feels great to be driving the bitch again with a proper 2nd gear. I still find myself letting the rpms fall and slow shifting it forgetting that it doesn't grind anymore.
Old 02-23-2015   #48
RlySlow

Car has still been doing great, had a lot of fun with it with all the snow we got a few weeks back.

Anyways, I finally decided to actually spend some money on this thing.
Shouldn't have an issue blowing it up with the new goods now:

wally 450lph e85 pump & new bearings for my extra motor with the evo9 piston/1g rod combo

and the new whistler setup

It's a 7blade HX40 freshly rebuilt by Justin from tuners. I didn't really need the wastegate/o2 setup but it'll help me clean up my bay a bit.

and just a random picture from while I was out yesterday in the pile
Old 02-23-2015   #49
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

You will want that waste gate they work a lot nicer that internals.

Excited to see how this goes.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015   #50
RlySlow

I'm actually currently rocking a tial f38 2bolt wastegate running off a stock 2g mani with a 38mm flange. I'm really eager to go back to my stock 2g mani with no flange since it'll clean the bay up a bit and I'd like to get a factory heat shield on the car again.

I honestly can't stand internal gates, always have creep issues it seems like.
Old 02-27-2015   #51
RlySlow

the goods came in today! can't wait!

Old 03-11-2015   #52
RlySlow

Ordered a few more things.. counting down these last few days til I'm home for spring break and can start swapping to the new setup!

I did take her out yesterday and beat on her a bunch for some last runs with the 16g and also cleaned her up a bit, just a powerwash and a hand drying. Also put it back on e85.

Old 03-12-2015   #53
C3L1CA
N17r0U$ br4D

Goosehead Racing Champion! Street Drifting Champion!
Tournaments Won: 1

Drives: bikes and a silveraydo

Looking good!
C3L1CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015   #54
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

So clean and nice! Makes me miss my 1g.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015   #55
RlySlow

Forgot to update my thread here, so copying this from another thread.

was a bit of a nightmare with random fitment issues, leaks, etc. Basically ended up not being near the bolt-on setup I was wanting it to be.
Worst was dropping off a couple pipes for some welds at a shop and being told it'd be done next day. They called me 2 days later at 4:55pm on a friday. I rushed down there got there at 5:07 (they close at 5) and were gone and not open on the weekend. I had told them I needed to have the car to drive back 3 hours to school - so I told them I was only going to have them do them if I could have them in time for the weekend at minimum. They said not a problem.

So I had to source a car from a friend to drive back to school. Went back a couple weekends later and finished the car. Though finished still doesn't really describe it.
has a bad pre-wastegate exhaust leak from the o2 housing and BEP turbo housing not matching perfectly. So i'm losing boost from that. Also had to shoddily wire some stuff together to save time. So waiting to finish my semester here to fix all that nice and pretty.

As of right now the car runs decent driving around. But has some hiccups from venting my bov with a 2g MAF. Then currently running 17psi on the HX40. It's probably a high 11 second car by my butt dyno. So a bit slower than the 16g on 23psi. The new throttlebody I'm using has bad seals and is causing boost leaks as well. So I'm just going to have a friend convert my FMIC's TB elbow to work with my old 1g N/T throttlebody since I had it rebuilt last year and set up perfect and it's nice and leak free and actually flows a bit better than the turbo throttlebodies. Also ordered all of ECMLink's plug and play Speed Density sensors and wiring harnesses.

So she's going speed density and also bought some new shoes and rubber! Sold the drag radials and wheels, regret that already - they looked so good on the car, could of kept them for street use. Oh well.
Scored an AWESOME deal on some FD Rx7 wheels which are some of the lightest you can get for a DSM that are bolt on and are perfect size for some QTPs!

The new shit:

haven't been home since the rx7 wheels arrived but my car actually had rx7 wheels on it when my friend owned it from like 2003-2008. This is the car with them on it back then, I plan to paint them black as well except I'll have hoosiers on them

Ready for the swap:

old vs new

looking bare

mocking up and finding tons of fitment problems

Fabbed up my new FMIC's mounting

I've honestly never had a FMIC mounted this well haha

Nothing like sitting in your engine bay at 2am eating cold french fries.

When you're really tired, and mocking up your turbo and then you stand back and realize you put it on backwards.

around this time too a buddy of mine who expressed interest in my car awhile back and got motivated to get into dsms managed to snag this beauty! Almost same setup, HX40, stock block, some head work, decent fuel system. Going for 400whp or so.

Engine bay is still a mess due to rushing, but once she was complete and running:

back up at my university

She has been a reliable daily driver since then now! I just graduated from my university Saturday and came back home yesterday. So now I'm going to start tackling all of its issues so I can try to make some actual power.

I did run at a small event at the track Saturday night and the track was poop and the car was poop. Due to the wastegate leak and boost leaks, turning up the boost was useless. I'm maybe seeing 14-15psi despite the 17psi spring in the wastegate. I ran 12.6@112mph. This trans I put in doesn't like shifting at high rpm at all. So I'm also on the hunt now for a built trans since I don't have time to send one in for a rebuild.

Anyway, mounting my tires today - so look for pictures later of her with her new shoes!
Old 05-11-2015   #56
turbotalon1g

Sick.
you doing that grudge event down at cfr in august or whenever it is?
Old 05-11-2015   #57
enasnitsi

Drives: 1993 Talon Awd

You'll still need wheel spacers for those fd wheels. Those fd wheels and tires in your pic I just sold otherwise you could have gotten them back.
enasnitsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015   #58
RlySlow

I'll be at the event but not racing in it. And yep found out about the spacers. At least in the rear. The fronts cleared barely and dont rub. The rear left is fine, but the right rear rubs on the control arm.

I'm just glad I got these wheels when I did since I was about to drive 3 hours to buy a set of FD wheels with some street tires on them for $450. Saw these FD wheels pop up on ecmlink forums for $325 shipped and had to jump on them.
At least it looks quick now!
Old 05-11-2015   #59
turbotalon1g

Nice, I love mine, I just need some hoosiers and power.