MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Old 02-13-2017   #21
93gtpeater

Drives: cbr 1000rr repsol
Re: Back into the big leagues: Project FRC

The numbers look pretty much spot on. From what I have seen stock ish c5s make. Air density can play a big role in numbers too. At less from I have seen with my bike at the track. I can gain almost 5 to 6 mph depend on the air. Anyways. Love the car and hope to own one some day. Been looking for wrecked ones and hard to find ones that ain't a total loss.
93gtpeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017   #22
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

My shift knob finally showed up as well as my custom leather bits from RedlineGoods.

Maybe I can get them in.

2008 C6 Z06 Shift Knob
Redline Goods Custom Shift Boot (as well as e-brake boot and e-brake handle)
MTI Racing six shooter short throw shifter.

I decided to pull the stock black threads out of the OEM shift knob and color match the boot. $0.39 investment. It's all about the little things.

Oh and my widebands showed up. Trying out some 14point7 widebands. A separate review to come on those.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stock 2008 c6 z06 shift knob.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	16392   Click image for larger version

Name:	dethreading z06 knob.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	16393   Click image for larger version

Name:	adding green to knob.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	16394  

Click image for larger version

Name:	all done.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	16395  
Old 02-14-2017   #23
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
It already runs rampant on the Evo forums. People claim huge numbers using these fake, easily manipulated, "dyno" charts. There is one remote t00ner in particular that is notorious for this. He'll ask people what their goal is before he starts tuning them and at the end makes sure the chart exceeds the customer's expectations. The best is when said customers then go to a real dyno for a dyno day or whatever and get all bent out of shape when they're down on power by about 150whp

It's a decent tool when setup and used properly. The weight of the car + driver has to be entered accurately (which it appears Swanny did), along with a few other parameters, and making sure the road is perfectly flat without any strong winds. It's best to use the same road each time to create a legit comparison.
Oh fuck. tscompusa and the other hacks like him are what make me so glad we have a lot of good tuners for our small area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017   #24
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Ding ding ding we have a winner!
Kracka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017   #25
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!

I hope everyone has been enjoying the unseasonably warm weather here in Minnesota.

Saturday I was able to install my MTI Racing Six Shooter shifter. http://www.mtiracing.com/mti-racing-...t-shifter.html

I topped it off with a 2008 Z06 Shifter that I re-threaded with the same color thread as I had done on my boots.

At the same time I installed my Redline Goods shift boot, e-brake boot, and e-brake handle.
http://www.redlinegoods.com/

Before:

After:

Shifter comparison:

Overall I am happy with products from both vendors and would recommend them both with the few conditions.

MTI Racing Six Shooter Review

Pros:
  • Shorter shift throws
  • accepts C5, C6, C7, and universal threaded shift knobs. Thus if I wanted to cell this shifter I can sell it to a C5-C7 corvette owner.
  • Lighter than OEM
  • more precise shifting
  • "Firm" feeling when shifting
Cons:
  • Reverse is harder to get into.
  • 1st gear now requires a stop at 2nd first to line up syncros. I will bleed my clutch tomorrow and hope that helps.
  • My return spring on the T-56 transmission sucks compared to Ryan's Z06. Return to center isn't the greatest. The shifter is really demonstrating this issue now.

This is a high quality piece and anytime you deviate from OEM you are trading one thing for another. In this case I traded exactly what I expected I would, a bit of comfort and ease of operation for more precision and shorter throws. Simple physics tells you that a shorter throw means you'll have less mechanical leverage. Very happy with this shifter overall and I can fix a few things on the car that'll make it perfect.

RedlineGoods
Pros:
  • High quality leather utilized
  • Customization in many colors of leather and thread and patterns
  • Fast shipping

Cons:
  • Not 100% bolt in, requires some modifications to stock parts to install
  • The E-brake handle cover isn't the greatest. Better than stock, but the fitment could be better around the top
  • Not all the threading is consistent. In both cases on my products the ends trailed off crookedly, nothing that is visible; but I am very anal retentive on my stuff.

Modifying e-brake bracket to fit with new boot.

Overall these products are well constructed and much better than others I've used in the past. Rich leather and double stitching is used. Easy to customize and they have a ton of vehicles they sell stuff for, I'd recommend you checking them out.

Higher Res pictures:

Last edited by niterydr; 02-23-2017 at 08:00 PM..
niterydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017   #26
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

Very nice work!
One thing that I noticed really improved shifting in my c6 was urethane motor and transmission mounts. It was pretty sloppy with the stock mounts but really really nice with the z06 shifter assembly (solid bushings) and poly mounts, made a world of difference.

Edit: I used the hinson mounts, fairly cheap for the package of 4 mounts. My stock fluid motor mounts were falling apart. It didn't add that much vibration either.

Last edited by asshanson; 02-19-2017 at 12:48 AM..
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017   #27
niterydr
back in the saddle again

Swapped out my airbridge this past week. Car felt a smidgen stronger up top, virtual dyno confirms; +4 hp, +4 tq.

Also swapped out my 12 disc changer for a single din cd player. I didn't get any good pictures, will throw those up when I pull it back out of storage. Overall down about 9 lbs out of the car of dead weight.

Next round will add a bit more power; here is a picture of prep work:

Last edited by niterydr; 02-23-2017 at 08:23 PM..
Old 02-23-2017   #28
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

Progress!!
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017   #29
niterydr
back in the saddle again

Next on deck.

XS Power (SS Autocrome) longtubes. These are designed for the 1997-2004 (universal) and will require me to have the passenger side air tube moved over a runner to ensure they will bolt up. Good reviews for fit and finish and these are a 3rd revision. Came with all hardware and metal gaskets. For $925 shipped WITH cats I couldn't go wrong (running a sale with discount code). Total weight is 56 lbs 8.20 oz, the stock stuff weighs 68-72 lbs.

1-7/8" primaries to 3" collectors and true 3" all the way back.

Can't wait to get these on, probably won't do that until after March as the Vette is back in storage.

Last edited by niterydr; 02-23-2017 at 10:16 PM..
Old 02-24-2017   #30
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

I'm surprised they didn't kick you off CorvetteForum for buying those!

But seriously, did you look into Texas Speed at all? Their headers are Chinese made, but at least designed with full R&D in central Texas, they just outsource the production to undercut the big American made brands like LG, ARH, Pfadt, and Kooks.

A few years ago I won a set of AFE/Pfadt Tri-Y headers (which were beyond beautiful) but ended up selling them to stick with my ported/coated manifold + Borla X-pipe setup which retains the primary cats for emissions and warranty reasons.
Old 02-24-2017   #31
93gtpeater

Drives: cbr 1000rr repsol

Any reviews on the gaskets that come with the kit? I bought some headers and y pipe for my maxima and the gasket didn't last long at all. I think they made it about 100 miles until started leaking. Bought some cheap ones at oreilly and they worked just great. Car is looking good. Can't wait to see what it does with exhaust on it. Post some video of before and after of the exhaust.
93gtpeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017   #32
niterydr
back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
I'm surprised they didn't kick you off CorvetteForum for buying those!

But seriously, did you look into Texas Speed at all? Their headers are Chinese made, but at least designed with full R&D in central Texas, they just outsource the production to undercut the big American made brands like LG, ARH, Pfadt, and Kooks.

A few years ago I won a set of AFE/Pfadt Tri-Y headers (which were beyond beautiful) but ended up selling them to stick with my ported/coated manifold + Borla X-pipe setup which retains the primary cats for emissions and warranty reasons.
These are american crafted, Chinese metal. The vendor, Huronspeed, is actually a CorvetteForum sponsor, lol. I've found out the domestic stuff is made here. Welds look solid but I am having my friend Jamie give them a good look over as well.

No warranty here but I want to maintain Autocross class legality and emissions compliance in-case I move south in a few years.

Last edited by niterydr; 02-24-2017 at 11:02 AM..
Old 02-24-2017   #33
niterydr
back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gtpeater View Post
Any reviews on the gaskets that come with the kit? I bought some headers and y pipe for my maxima and the gasket didn't last long at all. I think they made it about 100 miles until started leaking. Bought some cheap ones at oreilly and they worked just great. Car is looking good. Can't wait to see what it does with exhaust on it. Post some video of before and after of the exhaust.
They are a metal gasket; triple layer for the header. The air pipe connections are single layer metal. Grade 8 hardware and a lap style band clamp to connect the extension pipes. I'll have to pick up hardware to connect to my aftermarket rear exhaust I believe, unless that has bolts in there (haven't looked).
Old 03-15-2017   #34
niterydr
back in the saddle again

Sitting in the Caribbean (Island of Grenada) with my girlfriend, figured I'd update this post while we wait for dinner.

Last Sunday with the help of two friends we managed to install:

XS Power Longtubes with catted x-pipes
14Point7 Widebands
MSD Plug wires
NGK Plugs
Plug wire boots
C6 Z51 swaybars with metal end links (drilled front bar for adjustments)
C5 Z06 Shocks all around
New coolant (Dexcool + distilled water + water wetter)
New diff fluid (Mobil 1 75w-90LS)
New Transmission fluid (GM OEM)
Oil Change (Mobil 1 0w40 with Wix filter)
New Gates belts (main and a/c)
New idler pullies (main and a/c)
Also swapped out the oil cap for a little car show bling.

All that is left is to install tires (just ordered Bridgestone RE-71R's 245/40/17 front, 275/35/18 rear which should up my effective ratio from 3.42 to 3.55 when you look at 4th gear pulls, while keeping the balance between front/rear similar to OEM to avoid upsetting active handling)

I also have brakes all around to do when I come back stateside end of March/Early April.

Then corner weight/alignment and I am set for STU autocross and street duty. Headers feel good and the car will need some dyno time. I'd like to see 325+rwhp and 350+ tq, but it'll make what it makes. This season is about driver mod.

Last edited by niterydr; 03-18-2017 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: fixed img tags
Old 03-16-2017   #35
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Great update, you're making good progress for winter!

Why did you go for the Mobil 1 in the rear diff, but OEM (Dexron III/GM MTF) in the tranny? I'm just curious. I went for OEM in the rear diff and Redline in my tranny.
Old 03-16-2017   #36
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

P.S. Does your g/f live down there?
Old 03-16-2017   #37
Halon
Pewp Champion

Very cool, looking good man! Nice on the 0W-40, just picked up a jug myself. Did you make sure to get the Mobil rebate?
Old 03-16-2017   #38
niterydr
back in the saddle again

No I forgot about the mobil rebate.

Kayla lives down here during the school year. She comes back in May and back down August-December. Then she's back for good.

I went with the mobil 1 in the rear diff as it has the friction modifier. This transmission is a "paper syncro" transmission so the OEM stuff seems to be the most recommended.
Old 03-16-2017   #39
Halon
Pewp Champion

Well check out the Oil Rebate thread! The rebate is in the thread, just fill it out and send it in with your receipt if you still have it!
Old 03-16-2017   #40
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

The current ACDelco 75W-90 comes with the LSD additive pre-mixed as well.