MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 11-29-2003   #1
Blk96Eclipse

Tournaments Won: 6

My radiator has been leaking fluid for about 2 months. It started out leaking just a little bit, but it gradually leaked more and more at a time. Now I have add fluid every couple days. I just got the radiator flushed a few days ago to see if that helped and I asked them to see if they saw a leak but they said they didn't. There usually isn't a big puddle of coolent under my car when I leave it parked either. I am wondering if if getting a new raditor would fix it or what the deal is cause something is wrong. I don't think I can find a leak in any hoses either.
Old 11-29-2003   #2
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly
If the actual radiator isnt leaking and you cant see any leaks on it, then I would assume its something else other that the radiator...

Radiators only really leak at the spouts which typically just bust apart. If there is no leaks from the clamps being too loose then I think that you have a different problem... maybe your car is starting to burn the coolant... (headgasket)
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003   #3
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.
Don't the factory radiators have plastic endtanks? If that's the case one of them could be leaking at the seam.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003   #4
MATCHBX
Any 2 card caller.

Pinball Smash Up Champion!
Or if you can't see where it is leaking, look under your crankpulley and see if it's wet. It could be a leaking waterpump. If it's the front seal on the waterpump, it will usually only leak when shut off. Check you hoses to make sure there is no build up where they slide on to the radiator or onto the engine.

Like matt said, check your endtanks as well. Mine used to do that before too.

Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant.

It's always the second mouse that gets the cheese....

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Superjealousfragilemisswithsexualneurosis----John Valby
MATCHBX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003   #5
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon
so ur leaking coolant but no clue where? u don't see steam coming from anywhere? check all the little hoses coming outta the thermostat housing. check and make sure its not a bad gasket where the thermostat housing meets the head. if it is the radiator, they're not expensive, a new one can be had for around 100 bux
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003   #6
john
Business as usual

Drives: Dodge Viper and Honda Insight
I would check the waterpump. That is unless it you were working around the cooling system and had previously disconnected lines. If they pressure checked the radiator, it is not the problem. BTW, I got a wuote on a new radiator about a month ago. It was ~$150.
Old 11-30-2003   #7
1ViciousGSX
Admin

If you need a 2g turbo radiator, I just pulled the factory radiator out of my car. NOTHING IS WRONG WITH IT. I recently installed an aftermarket radiator. Let me know if you need it.

"You don't have a clue. You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance."

When she get's bitchy, SPANK THAT ASS!
(#Y#)
1ViciousGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003   #8
AJ
Area code 166 represent

Send a message via AIM to AJ Send a message via Yahoo to AJ
There is some shit you can add to the coolant that aftger running the car for about 2 min you can hold a black light or some kinda light to find the smallest of leaks.
Old 11-30-2003   #9
Jakey
Asshat King

Send a message via MSN to Jakey
Quote:
Originally posted by DSMStyle@Nov 30 2003, 07:51 PM
There is some shit you can add to the coolant that aftger running the car for about 2 min you can hold a black light or some kinda light to find the smallest of leaks.
Kinda like this stuff....?
http://www.directron.com/wc324.html

Proud to be a Cyclone

Check it out: Racers Against Street Racing
Jakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003   #10
Alpine TSi
Banana Hammock!

Drives: Shitbox
Like the others mentioned check the endtanks, they are plastic and the core is is kind of pinched over it like on a Supra SMIC. Mine went after a small game of bumper cars on 494 and it wasn't obvious. If you need a new one and are in the St. Paul are call A Radiator Company in South St. Paul, they gave me a great price on a Modine radiator with metal tanks and a lifetime swap out warranty.

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
678/1000
Alpine TSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003   #11
Blk96Eclipse

Where do I buy the stuff to test where the leak is?
Old 12-07-2003   #12
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon
Quote:
Originally posted by 92tsiawd84@Nov 30 2003, 12:22 AM
I would check the waterpump. That is unless it you were working around the cooling system and had previously disconnected lines. If they pressure checked the radiator, it is not the problem. BTW, I got a wuote on a new radiator about a month ago. It was ~$150.
check out www.radiatorbarn.com they come with free shipping and a lifetime warantee and our nicely priced. last time i checked it was less than 150.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003   #13
john
Business as usual

Drives: Dodge Viper and Honda Insight
Just remove it and bring it to a local radiator shop. It cost me only $10. Not worth buying all the shit and doing it yourself. BTW, if you need another radiator, I have another for a 1g. I would have to get it tested though first. PM me if interested.
Old 12-08-2003   #14
rhino

the dye trick works best for oil and a/c leaks,

use a pressure tester.
wash all the suspected areas clean
pressurize the system to 15psi (don't go any higher than that) and find where the coolant is coming out of.

call around to the auto stores that rent out tools and one of them should have one. be sure to make sure it has the right adaptor to fit on your radiator before you take off from the store, get home, and wonder why it won't work.