Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Old 04-01-2019   #121
niterydr
back in the saddle again

Re: Back into the big leagues: Project FRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
what platform would you go to?
I'm interested to see what effect the C8 has on older model prices.
That's the thing, I don't really like anything enough right now to sell this car.

If I was going straight drag, the SN95 or F-body chassis, but I still want a mix of street and strip.

If I was going after R&D; New Supra or C8 Corvette

Fun street car that is rare? Maybe a viper or something Italian?

In the end, I like this chassis a lot, so I am sticking with it for now.

As far as the C8 and impact on the older models, I really don't see how the C5's could get cheaper. The Auto base models are now in used toyota corolla territory. Mine is a bit more rare, but only to an enthusiast.
niterydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019   #122
niterydr
back in the saddle again

Picked up some goodies yesterday.

2007 Corvette Z51 full rear cradle. I'll be selling what I don't need off this. A 2009+ is ideal but I can tweak this a bit to fit the differential setup.

Also pictured is the 12mm Torque tube that is an upgrade.

Today I ordered the conversion "kit", includes TR6060 lines, differential/transmission mounts, and new diff cover to eliminate the heat sink.

Working on securing a differential and probably ordering a new transmission. Then should be set to assembly later in April.

If anyone needs the following, let me know :
  • 87,3xx mile T56 Transmission from C5
  • 3.42 1 Rib C5 differential
  • Hinson Supercar mount
  • Custom Bracing setup
  • C6 upper control arms
  • C6 hub/knuckle
  • C6 rear shocks
  • C6 Rear brake rotors
  • C6 axles

<--end goal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Corvette Cradle and torque tube.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	17265  

Last edited by niterydr; 04-02-2019 at 12:49 PM..
Old 04-02-2019   #123
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

Awesome gains. What about a coyote with 6r80? Those trans and motors are providing to be very stout. If i was building a drag car, that seems like one of the simplest and affordable recipes for 9's out there right now
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019   #124
niterydr
back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halon View Post
Awesome gains. What about a coyote with 6r80? Those trans and motors are providing to be very stout. If i was building a drag car, that seems like one of the simplest and affordable recipes for 9's out there right now
I'd swap chassis. This is still a street car that can run out to it's potential. That is the goal, a consistant and fun stick car. I'd love it if it goes 10's off the bat, but it will probably take some work to get there.

Car still has interior, stereo, a/c, all emissions, etc..
Old 07-01-2019   #125
niterydr
back in the saddle again

Alright I've been very busy with work/life/ranch work on the property and then this thing.

I cooked a starter on the dyno and when I dropped the inspection cover found a chipped flywheel. As I had to rip the entire drivetrain out to replace/repair this flywheel I decided to go off the deep end.

I swapped in a brand new TR6060 out of a 09+ Spec Z06 and a 07 Z06 differential. With this swap came in a C6 rear Cradle, C6 Lower control arms, ECS Transmission/differential brace and torque tube tamer. I also put in energy suspension bushings in all components in the rear.

While I was there I upgraded to a 12MM torque tube with Driveshaft Shop Poly couplers, new bearings, and ARP Hardware.

While reviewing the car and looking it over, I realized I dyno'd on stock plugs and they were cooked. I swapped in TR6 plugs (1 range colder) and sent my throttle body out to Tony Mamo for a port job. Also had my shifter box rebuilt as well and diy'd a 4" intake.

The headers did not fit well with the 6 bolt heads as they kept hitting the flanges, so I decided to go with Hinson Supercar 1-7/8" catless headers. That means I pulled emissions out. The emissions delete and the intake modifications dropped 8lbs off the nose of the car. Also they sound pretty good (youtube video of start up below) Finally I DEI wrapped the crap out of everything, including my mini starter.

Finally started it back up last night:
https://youtu.be/UvBX2V95MVY

Finally I have some cosmetic things to install, carbon fiber wing and such.

Eventually I'll get it back on the dyno. Would be nice to have a 450+ chart, maybe even 460 with the changes, time will tell.

Hopefully I can find time to get to the track on a night pass in July/August

Ultimately I'd like to get sent home right away and click off a high 10 second quarter mile on the tiny hoosiers. Then I'll just do some car shows and debate what to do with the car next, most likely a 6 point cage, lighter seats to offset some of the cage weight, and try to make it a reliable 10.5 or 11.0 car. Maybe bottle feed it down a 10.0 car, will see how it all shakes out at the track.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4 inch intake.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	17287   Click image for larger version

Name:	CF Wing rear.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	17288   Click image for larger version

Name:	dei all the things.jpg
Views:	22