MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 01-23-2007   #1
Hoffer00

Cantankerous Tank Champion! Fight Man Champion! Go Johnny Go Champion!
Send a message via Yahoo to Hoffer00
AEM ams

What would I need if I wanted to run with the Ems. I would like to be able to shop tune or personally tune. '99 gsx, 5sp
Hoffer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007   #2
blageo23
AWD4G64

Send a message via AIM to blageo23
Re: AEM ams

Plug and play. Or if you wanna be sweet and do speed density you will need an IAT and a MAP sensor, either GM or AEM.
blageo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007   #3
FattyBoomBatty
Banned

Drives: Conquest

Intake air temp sensor should be the non-brass kind, I think. They can't read changes fast enough for turbo engines. I don't know what to ask for when you go to a parts store though.
FattyBoomBatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007   #4
blageo23
AWD4G64

Send a message via AIM to blageo23

I did a little writeup for the EMS a few months ago...http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237709
All the part numbers you need and how to hook the stuff up.
blageo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007   #5
tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by blageo23 View Post
Plug and play. Or if you wanna be sweet and do speed density you will need an IAT and a MAP sensor, either GM or AEM.
I agree with this guy.

If you arent familiar with an EMS I would suggest a tune with someone that knows what they are doing; Shane, Josh, Steve, etc..

After that, check out the AEM forums and ask a lot of questions before you tinker with it yourself. There are a few tables that will seem simple but there are many more that need a lot more knowledge than the average guy/gal to have function properly.

AEM is the cream of the crop for 99.9% of DSMs, but it does take a bit of knowledge.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007   #6
scheides
flips McGee

Does AEM EMS use the stock o2 sensors at all? I was talking to shane about this and he said that if the car doesn't have a wideband, it could be tuned on the MAP/IAT sensors alone (using the shop's wideband). Sure you can get a Innovative LC-1 for $200, but is it needed if a shop w/ a wideband will be doing all of your tuning?

Anyone have any comments on this?
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007   #7
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

The last thing you want to do it try to tune an AEM with a MAS on the car, it really sucks. Pretty much you goto speed density with the AEM.

The AEM doesn't use the stock O2 sensors at all. You tune the fuel maps the best you can to get the desired A/F ratio for every load cell in the fuel map, even ones you haven't or can't reach. There are modifier tables for things like coolant temp and air temp, but even if you have those tuned perfect, cars don't run exactly the same from day to day with different weather conditions, different tanks of gas, deterorating parts, etc.

You can hook the output from most widebands into the AEM or buy one with an integrated wideband. Then you can just have it in your logging, or have it actively perform O2 feedback corrections similar to a factory car. There are also some "autotune" features that can be used with a wideband, but they are mostly a waste of time. With O2 feedback and a wideband, you aren't limited to only shooting for a 14.7:1 A/F ratio like a factory narrowband car does. You can run it much lean under cruising loads to try to save gas. You can also use it under boost to adjust fueling, but you have to be very careful, you don't want a bad O2 sensor, burned through wire or malfuctioning wideband controller all of a sudden causing an unneeded and incorrect change in fueling.
Old 01-24-2007   #8
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

I would highly recommend adding an AIT and map sensor to the EMS.
Sticking with the factory MAS will hinder the performance of the vehicle, and make it a huge pita to tune (like shane mentioned).