MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > The Parking Lot - On & Off Topic > Official MitsuStyle.com Topics

Old 11-19-2010   #21
t-revzr
FLOSSEN

Drives: 2011 corolla turbo S
Re: The official Deer Hunting thread.

Goodhart are you at a resort in there or what lol?
T-rev still #1 and lovin it!!!
t-revzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010   #22
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

hahaha My dad calls it "The condo"

He has a bad back/knees/shoulder/every other joint/bone in his body, so that's why we built it. I usually take turns between this thing and a ladder stand down the tree line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010   #23
mondale

Drives: 1g dsm

Going down southwest to Currie, MN. Thompson 50 cal is the deathweapon for me lol. First buck that i shot was on a shitty cold day. I was slug hunting that year and was sitting behind a round bail on a hill in a field. I sat for an hour freezing my ass off and then heard it running along the fence line. Pegged him right in the vitals and he went ass over antlers. Run over to where he was laying and was pumped to see it was a decent 8 pointer (def not a wall hanger haha). About 10 seconds later i hear a truck wot coming towards me from the other side of the hill i was sitting on. Turns out this guy was chasing the buck down the fence line in his super duty haha. He stopped the truck, then proceeded to get out of his truck and cuss at me for shooting HIS deer . I tagged the deer and told him kick rocks.
**I also party hunt with a guy that shot a fawn so small that he put it in an old tire and rolled it down a hill lol.
mondale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010   #24
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

^^ haha

I also made a little video of the stand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBLVVQBzpiQ&hd=1

Quote:
Old 11-20-2010   #25
TalonFiero
moonshine power

Looney Tunes Mahjong Champion! Mine Sweeper Champion!
Drives: 08 Saab 9-7x Aero
Send a message via AIM to TalonFiero

My two brothers, my cousin and my brother in law all got deer this morning. Crazy.

Venison for me! Told them to send me the bill.
TalonFiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010   #26
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Awesome shack GH! Sucky on not getting any deer.

I went out today with my dad for WI opener. Its only shotgun hunting in the area we were in, so we only had one borrowed gun. My dad missed a really nice sized doe about 75 yards away. No scope really sucks. haha

We are going to go out Thursday morning and over the weekend. It was freezing today.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #27
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

One year drought ended yesterday for me killing deer.

=

Shot her as she was trotting away from me, got her diagonally from the back of her rib cage, up through the lungs and out the front ribcage on the other side, went through and shattered 9 ribs, foamy blood everywhere in/around her and lungs were pretty much gone when I gutted it. Shot in Isanti, MN

Got her about 6pm, we (Dad and I usually sit together) were watching 2 small does graze in the field each debating whether or not to take one. When we heard a bunch of shooting to the south, 2 more got spooked and came through the pines behind us from where the shooting was. This was one of the two. They weren't running, but moving at a pretty good pace, so I had to hurry up and launch one down range at one, I picked the biggest one. She was probably in the 140-160 range dressed, not huge, but a pretty good size doe. I dropped her with the first shot, but she then she got back up and ran a ways. I cracked one more off at her through one of the front windows of the stand and missed, knowing I hit her HARD with the first shot (saw a huge poof of dust fly off her and heard it hit pretty easily) and knowing she wouldn't be going far, I figured I might as well take one last mercy shot (My Mossberg 695 only holds 3 rounds) at one of the remaining 3 deer and shot out the other front window.

Dad took a poke at another one after I fired the first shot. It is INCREDIBLY hard to tell how big deer are when they are all stretched out running at full tilt (more on that later). He took a crack anyways, and dropped one at a dead run at 175 yards (verified with our range finder afterwards) with open sights on 870 express w/ a rifled slug barrel. Damn good shot IMHO! Dad's deer had 2 holes in it, so we can't tell if my 3rd shot hit it, or if 2 of his shots hit it. He shot 3 times. He hit the thing right through the damn back straps though When we went to go find them, his had died right where he shot it pretty much, not much to track.

So, off to tracking this thing. I haven't had to track a deer in years and years, my last 3 or 4 weren't able to take 1 step, they were dead where they stood. This bitch was only a lung shot and ran a small distance. So I run out to where she hit the ground and find this:

OK sweet, a good starting point. Followed that, drop here, drop there, about every 5-10 feet I'd find a few drops of blood on corn stalks, or turned up fresh dirt, tracks, etc. Followed that for probably 40-50 feet until I could see the direction she went into the trees at and then just walked right up to the tree line to look for more sign. Found a few more drops, walked in a ways and spotted this:

And just on the other side of that log I saw this:

Thank god she tripped on that log or she may have kept going for a quite a ways. By that mark she had made it about 30-40 yards into the trees from the opening I shot at her in. I dragged her ass out of the woods and went to go help dad, as I walked up on his deer, I just started laughing. His deer had probably outgrown its spots by about 6 months at the most, it was tiny! haha I kept giving him shit last night that he shot a German Shepherd. His was probably 75 lbs dressed. LMAO

Anyways, here is the father son combo right here, pretty cool we shot them at the same time while standing about 3 feet from each other. First time we have done that deer hunting. So, at the end of the night we had 2 deer, 1 cool story, and 2 windows to replace.

Mine of right, Dad's on left:

Quote:

Last edited by goodhart; 11-06-2011 at 05:32 PM..
Old 11-06-2011   #28
cman3000
Colin

100m Running Champion!
Drives: 90 Talon TSi AWD, 73 Datsun 240z w/Built L28

Got a 7 pointer opening morning. Il post a pic later
cman3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #29
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

Got this 6 pointer Sunday night. For all intents and purposes it is 5 "full size" points and 1 broken off one in a "nub", estimated weight 120lbs, should be good eats. Estimate him to be 2 years of age, coming into year 3 by size.

Weapon: 30-30, 150 grain bullet
Shots: 1
Conditions: 4:35pm, sun setting, ground hunting in brush
Distance: 10-15 feet, needed to be a ninja to pull this shot off as he was CLOSE and for most of the time staring straight at me.
Kill location: Ottertail, MN. 15 acre "island" forest, across the highway from an 80 acre woods and surrounded by 75 acres of downed corn fields. Terrain is overgrown brush, very thick, swamp, and downed trees.

First time out deer hunting, couldn't be happier after spending 15 hours in the woods. Only deer I saw all weekend, only shot I took. He dropped like a sack of potatoes, lifted his head for a few seconds (while on the ground), and that was that.

(Well I nearly hit a beautiful buck on the way home tonight from hunting, probably a 12 pointer, lost count at 10, he was clearly visible standing in the road and was as tall as the hood (back) of my 2500hd truck, so this was the only deer I saw at the time of shooting).
To bad I couldn't have stayed up north a few more days to stalk the 8 pointer my uncle has seen over the last few months, that deer will be happy I took care "of this little problem" for him.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deer1.JPG
Views:	708
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	12095  

Last edited by niterydr; 11-06-2011 at 11:46 PM..
niterydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #30
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhart View Post
and 2 windows to replace
I haven't been deer hunting yet (hope to go next year for my first time), so I don't know the logistics of having a shelter set up, but do you mean to say you shot through the glass? You didn't have the windows open? I know there isn't any time to react if the windows are closed, it's just surprising to me you would shoot through the glass (and that it didn't affect the slug trajectory), haha.

This thread makes me want to go with my dad hunting this year, I just don't have a shotgun of my own yet. I'd really like to hunt with the M1A but it's not allowed in Iowa.
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #31
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Yea, we had the windows up because it was so windy. I didn't think we would even see anything with how windy it was, and the wind wasn't in our favor either, the wind was at our back blowing right towards the deer. It is only 1/8" plexiglass though, idk how much that would effect a slug's trajectory. With the way the Hornady's jump anyways, it might not matter.

Hornady SST 12 ga Shotgun:

50 yds- +2.4"
100 yds- +2.7"
150 yds- flat
200 yds- -6.7"

Quote:
Old 11-07-2011   #32
1QUICK4
Crash Course Racing

Drives: in circles
Send a message via Yahoo to 1QUICK4

Went out for the first time ever this weekend. The deer gods must've been smilin' on me. Had a trophy 8 pointer shot through the lung and on the ground by 9:30am Saturday.

Poor bastard was blinded by the poonanny.
Old 11-07-2011   #33
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Y U NO post pictures of dead antlered forest rat ?

Quote:
Old 11-07-2011   #34
1QUICK4
Crash Course Racing

Pics on buddy's phone.
Old 11-07-2011   #35
pkron05

Drives: 03 Evo VIII

3 pointer is from last year. 8 pointer from this Sat.
I've been very lucky. Shot both opening day before 8:30 a.m. of each year.
3 pointer was used for a rattle. 8 pointer is going on the wall.
3 pointer took two to the heart before dropping. 8 pointer took one to the throat and one to the gut from a neighbor who can't shoot for shit before he went down.

pkron05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #36
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Nice deer guys!

I went up to Marcel MN, past Grand Rapids on Friday morning through last night. Had a ton of fun with my dad and 2 other guys, but we all got skunked. I saw 6 deer (all does and 2 were fawns) the entire trip, but none I had a good shot at. The other guys saw a couple a piece, but they were either running full sprint past them or they were directly behind their stand walking past. This happened to me too with 2 of the does, but I couldn't turn fast enough before they took off.

It was tough hunting for sure, especially in thick swampy woods with the wind howling at 20mph the entire trip. But still had a blast and will be out there possibly again this weekend closer to the cities for a day.

Otherwise I have WI opener to look forward to in a couple of weeks. Ill be hunting near hudson, so that wont be too far away. Going to go quite a bit, so hopefully we get one.
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #37
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

I was amazed at how much the deer were moving with how strong the wind was this last weekend. Usually they will hunker down for at least a few days until they finally get desperate and come out to show their face. Or if bucks get good and horny and stupid while they are in hard rut they will come out regardless, but where I was we saw probably 6-8 different does and probably 3 more yearlings, not one buck, and they were still moving.

Quote:
Old 11-08-2011   #38
19TsiAwd90
2stepadepaaadepaaadep

Drives: myself crazy

got my first deer/buck(spiker) opening morning at about 8:30 from a stand we had set up the night before because i hadn't seen anything out of my perminat stand for the last 2 years.
^^thats what modding is about.. your own enjoyment
19TsiAwd90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #39
1QUICK4
Crash Course Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhart View Post
. Or if bucks get good and horny and stupid while they are in hard rut they will come out regardless
I know that is the only reason I got mine. He was chasing a doe loud as hell, snortin' and stompin' around. Thought he was going to jump into my stand. I had to yell to get him to stop twice. 2nd time he gave me a perfect shot at around 20 yds. The fawker was covered in piss

Shatty cell pics below
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DeerSlayer.jpg
Views:	718
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	12096   Click image for larger version

Name:	DeerSlayer2.jpg
Views:	737
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	12097  

Last edited by 1QUICK4; 11-08-2011 at 05:41 PM..
1QUICK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #40
19TsiAwd90
2stepadepaaadepaaadep

Drives: myself crazy

NICE BUCK! you look every excited too lol adrenaline still pumping?
^^thats what modding is about.. your own enjoyment
19TsiAwd90 is offline   Reply With Quote