MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2004   #1
scheides
flips McGee

So I went out and got in my car this morning, and plugged in a new palm pilot for datalogging. I started the car, checked that I had a connection on the palm, blipped the throttle, and then I heard a sound that no car owner ever wants to hear:

CLANKITY-CLANKITY-CLANKITY CLANK CLANK CLANK!!!!

I kill the car, and remember there were roofers working on the house across the street from me. I get out of my car and see them clanking a couple of air nailers up their aluminum latter. ***whew***!!!!

I hop back in my car and fire again:

CLANKITY-CLANKITY-CLANKITY CLANK CLANK CLANK!!!!

fuck, what have I done? Too much boost? I've tuned my car to death lately (rather, tuned it to perfect running health...good fuel trims, no knock, etc). And was just out enjoying it on a few local on ramps on my way home last night. What could I have done that all of a sudden when I start the car this morning THIS happens?

Well, at first I thought maybe it was a bolt that came out of the clutch plate or flywheel or some such nonsense (replaced about a year and a half ago, no problems ever). So I start taking stuff apart, and eventually take the oil pan off, and what do I discover?

Oil squirter from cylinder #2 chilling in the bottom. it's broken off clean, and has a few nicks in it, but looks fine otherwise, which makes me believe it didn't cause any other damage to cylinder walls or this or that.

So here's my question: Can I run with only 3 squirters for a while? Can these be easily replaced w/o pulling the motor? Is this a sign of something worse going on? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

-scheides

This is a:
'94 Tsi awd
hrc s20g, fmic, etc,
7-bolt stocker engine w/ 90k on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
Old 10-22-2004   #2
Raptor
ConArtist

That sucks, never tried replacing one with engine and crank etc all in, but you should be able to do it easily enough, you might have to rotate the crank out of the way but you should be able to get in there with a long extension.

As far as running it, the valve isn't in that part of the squirter so it shouldn't stay open or otherwise, in that respect it "should" be okay to run it. 3 pistons will be cooler than the others. As long as you have the pan off anyway, I would just replace it since it really shouldn't take too much time, like 15 minutes tops including cleaning the parts.
Old 10-22-2004   #3
scheides
flips McGee

Excellent, that's what I was thinking too. Would a fantastic place such as QPR have these in stock, or will I have to get one from Mitsu? Also, any advice on how the hell to get that thing out of there & back in? that's a pretty tight space....

(crosses fingers...)

-scheides
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
Old 10-22-2004   #4
Raptor
ConArtist

Yes I do have a few in house , When you come in, I will go how to get it out and back in with you. It shouldn't be too bad.
Old 10-22-2004   #5
Enes

Send a message via ICQ to Enes Send a message via AIM to Enes Send a message via MSN to Enes Send a message via Yahoo to Enes
old men and their double posts.. and i got you now with a screen shot, can't just delete one of them and pretend you have not done it like you did last time!!!

-E

Try to fix it now
Old 10-23-2004   #6
Raptor
ConArtist

Enes, I think your nuts, you should lay off the chocolate for a few days, you might be overloaded
Closed Thread