MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

View Poll Results: Where do I go from here? (now that all of the children have grown up...)
Build the X 17 56.67%
No one wants a $60k evo with high monthly payments, get out now and buy a 9. 13 43.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-26-2010   #281
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Drives: 2003 Evolution VIII
Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.
Re: Dave's Evo X Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlo26 View Post
Can jeff do fender rolling?

And I mind as well do 285's then huh?
He has a fender roller that you can rent, but he won't do it for you.

If you're trying to avoid hitting the front fender then I would just stick with 275s unless you are POSITIVE that a certain tire and wheel combination will clear.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Matt D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010   #282
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord

Looks like these rims are 1410 shipped, not bad.

Way more expensive than just getting tires but whatever, time for suspension mods I guess.

I am ordering shortly, the 10.5's in gunmetal. Wish me luck.
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010   #283
Murlo26

I am going 275's it seems to be a decent setup.

I will need to roll the rears though...where the hell do i get that done? I don't know how to roll them, lol.
Old 03-26-2010   #284
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Send a message via ICQ to Matt D. Send a message via AIM to Matt D. Send a message via MSN to Matt D. Send a message via Yahoo to Matt D.

Going from the stock tire size to something 275 or 285mm wide you are going to be beside yourself with how much more grip the car will have.

Quote:
Every minute you spend in your Evo, not in boost, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.
Old 03-26-2010   #285
Matt D.
Shit Rocket Pilot

Quote:
I will need to roll the rears though...where the hell do i get that done? I don't know how to roll them, lol.
I rolled mine myself, they aren't perfect, I wasn't quite patient enough, the paint cracked a little in one or two places and the fender didn't roll in places that I was expecting it to. I know now what to do when I do it again, but I do not want to do it to someone's nice car.

Quote:
Old 03-26-2010   #286
scheides
flips McGee

10.5's goddamn! Crazyness. 275 seems kinda narrow for that rim though, you can do 265's on a 9.5" wide rim (this is what the 8/9 guys do IIRC). All of the above tires are too rich for my blood, you can get a set of starspecs for a little over $100/tire in the 17" size but as soon as its an 18" they want closer to $200/tire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010   #287
Murlo26

Yea i know, seems like a lot But everyone kept telling me...you have all that room with the X,use it damn it! So I just figured what the hell and got the 10.5's. I just ordered them a few mins ago

I will be getting the star specs to go with it 275/35's, that is what is pictured with buschurs ride up top there, i think it looks solid. I don't want to go any wider, too much weight already with this setup.

Man I feel like I am getting in over my head with this path, now I will have to get the Whiteline roll kit and a rear sway and some swift springs...ouch says my wallet.

EDIT: The star specs from what I have heard run a little wider anyway at the same size.

I was going to do tirerack for them, anyone think that is dumb?
Old 03-26-2010   #288
Speedfreak

Drives: four tires

285's fit just fine on 9.5" wide wheels as well. Not sure you needed to go to a 10.5", but having 10.5's on all four is pretty cool sounding. :P We did a set of 9.5 inchers on all four on a friends X.. looks very good.

Just for reference. We did 265 snow tires on a non lowered X. For the most part no rubbing, but on full lock, it rubs a bit. I think he is going to swap some 275's on them for the summer.

Last edited by Speedfreak; 03-26-2010 at 12:01 PM..
Speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010   #289
Murlo26

^I never said you couldn't fit 275's on 9.5" wheels. It just seemed with the RPF1's, everyone said go with 10.5" since they will provide better grip with 275's!

Yea tires are expensive at 275's, but still no where near as bad as the stock tires. I will be saving like 80-90 bucks a tire still, lol.
Old 03-26-2010   #290
Speedfreak

Drives: four tires

Yeah, was just throwing it out there that it can be done.. as Scheides had said 265's were possible on a 9.5..
Speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010   #291
scheides
flips McGee

Nothing wrong with tirerack. Ricer pete on here works up at goodyear in maple grove, he can hook ya up on the mount/balance.

Don't be in a rush to do springs/sway/suspension stuff. At the most, just do a rear sway and then do the springs and other stuff later when you find the time/money. Taking your time and doing one mod at a time is fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010   #292
Murlo26

True, however I think I need to roll the fenders to get them on their with stock suspension. i could be wrong though.

Maybe I will wait a bit, but I guess I only wanted to get my alignment done once, which is why I was debating this. And I don't want my new stuff to get uneven wear like my advans did. So iooono.
Old 03-26-2010   #293
mlomker
*Resting In Peace*

Drives: 94 Plymouth Acclaim/2008 EvoX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak View Post
Yeah, was just throwing it out there that it can be done.. as Scheides had said 265's were possible on a 9.5..
I'm doing 275's on mine, but my rims are 18x9.5+28. It's the +15 and being so much wider than stock that causes the fitment pain.

I saw the 10.5's on Gates' car and I must say that it looked mean.

kracka--It's official, Lomker sucks at chicks!

Last edited by mlomker; 03-26-2010 at 01:32 PM..
mlomker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010   #294
mlomker
*Resting In Peace*

Quote:
True, however I think I need to roll the fenders to get them on their with stock suspension. i could be wrong though.
You can't get aggressive enough with the camber at stock height. The fronts aren't gonna happen...you went really extreme on the rims and now you're going to have to go all the way. heh.

Last edited by mlomker; 03-26-2010 at 01:34 PM..
Old 03-26-2010   #295
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlomker View Post
You can't get aggressive enough with the camber at stock height. The fronts aren't gonna happen...
I have seen my setup on someone else's car on stock suspension. Are you saying it won't fit?
Old 03-26-2010   #296
Murlo26

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27724

See here for 18x10.5's +15 offset on 275/35's on stock suspension.
Old 03-26-2010   #297
simulatedwood

Drives: 08 Evolution X

Murlo,

Your setup should work just fine, Have you seen some of the setups evodave has been running (I believe 10.5 with 295 width) ? I think you are pretty safe on that setup. As far as Camber goes, Jeff the alingment guy was able to eek out 2.5 degrees of camber on the fronts on my setup just flipping the blots and applying pressure on the lower control arm with a bottle jack when tightening the bolts . As for the rest of the suspension, biggest bang for you buck will be a rear swaybar. I picked up a perrin from MAP for $180. Between tires, agressive alignment, and rear sway. You will be on rails.
simulatedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010   #298
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by simulatedwood View Post
Murlo,

Your setup should work just fine, Have you seen some of the setups evodave has been running (I believe 10.5 with 295 width) ? I think you are pretty safe on that setup. As far as Camber goes, Jeff the alingment guy was able to eek out 2.5 degrees of camber on the fronts on my setup just flipping the blots and applying pressure on the lower control arm with a bottle jack when tightening the bolts . As for the rest of the suspension, biggest bang for you buck will be a rear swaybar. I picked up a perrin from MAP for $180. Between tires, agressive alignment, and rear sway. You will be on rails.
Yea I am not too worried. So you think hold off on the drop for now and if that then the Whiteline RCK as well since i was getting that because of the drop?

Regardless I am happy since I am finally getting rims. I am really pushing the budget, but I didn't want to buy tires to go on the stock rims again since I wanted bigger tires...and then i would have to buy more again when I got rims. So kind of the lomker attitude of while your in there, i have that too Just not quite as bad.
Old 03-26-2010   #299
mlomker
*Resting In Peace*

Quote:
See here for 18x10.5's +15 offset on 275/35's on stock suspension.
Looks terrible to me. He also spends the rest of the thread talking about doing it the right way later. I assume if he bottoms out his suspension that it'll leave a nice dent in his fender. The good news is that they seem to be filling in potholes (craters) around town.

I didn't do much research into rims like that, so...

Last edited by mlomker; 03-26-2010 at 02:20 PM..
Old 03-26-2010   #300
simulatedwood

Drives: 08 Evolution X

If your planning on a drop, I think the roll center kit is a must have. I know alot people like less wheel gap, it dosent really bother me much. So if your on a budget, Id say hold off, I have been really happy were I am at without a drop and performance has been great. Id would suggest alignment from Jeff for sure any way you go, it was about 80 bucks if I remember correctly and it was soo worth it.

Let me know if you plan on selling the stock rims. I could use another set for test n tune days since I am on a "having a baby" budget.
simulatedwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casual mention of an evo, cold little murlo, daves sexcapades, flip flop, flip flopppp, hotdog crank polishing, manifold butthurt?, sexy time.