MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 12-28-2008   #1
Onefast99gsx

Question Tranny started leaking due to cold weather??

Hey everyone, my '99 GSX has been leaving an oil spot in the garage. Haven't been driving it but I have moved it outside several times so I had room to work on things in the garage. Didn't leak a single drop in the summertime whatsoever. Anyone know if the oil seals for the 1/2 shafts or the oil seal for the tcase shrinks when it's cold out. Seems to leak just sitting in the garage. It does not have to be running to leak. Crawled under it tonight but I can't pinpoint the leak. It seems to be oozing down where the tcase connects to the tranny.
Thanks for any info.
Onefast99gsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #2
iceminion

Send a message via AIM to iceminion
Re: Tranny started leaking due to cold weather??

I would say that 50% of the people here drive cars that leak slowly, I think you are asking this question on the wrong forum

As for the transmission seals? if they are 10 years old and you suspect them of leaking by all means replace all of them at once, and add redline.

-or if you are going to need a clutch swap one of these days, shep makes a great trans!
Old 12-28-2008   #3
Onefast99gsx

Thanks for the reply. I just changed the clutch in July & the seals were replaced just over a year ago when my tranny was rebuilt. That's not to say there wasn't a bad seal from the factory but like I said it didn't leak the least bit during the summer. The car is parked for the winter. I'm gonna have to pull the tcase off when I get some time.
Old 12-28-2008   #4
clean2g
Boost Junkie

Drives: I teleport
Send a message via AIM to clean2g

Maybe it's something else leaking and dripping down along the tranny. 100% sure it's tranny fluid? I say this because I've had leaks seam like they're in one place, but when I've pinpointed the source they ended up being in the strangest spots, different from where I though it was leaking.
clean2g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008   #5
Onefast99gsx

Pretty much 100% sure. It's got a red tint to it and it smells like gear lube. It's either the tcase or the tranny. It sure isn't motor oil.