MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 08-18-2006   #1
Gravy
Who's this guy?

Drives: 91 Dodge Stealth RT/TT
Send a message via AIM to Gravy Send a message via Yahoo to Gravy
MAF Swap Question

I think it's safe we all know that a 2g maf is an upgrade for a 1g. Just have to rewire it, not a direct switch over.

Something i've run by a couble times, is that a 1g MAF is an upgrade for a starion/conquest. If you were to put a conquest MAF into an eclipse, would that help or hurt your performance? I'd guess hurt if the 1g is an upgrade. But asking around to see if anyone knows.
Old 08-19-2006   #2
Shotgun!
Totenritt

Drives: Cranberry Plastic, Shiny red Bayliner with a V10
Send a message via AIM to Shotgun! Send a message via MSN to Shotgun!
Re: MAF Swap Question

Sweet fucking jesus!

You have to be kidding.

The SQ MAS is 25% smaller and why would you even think that? I'm trying to figure this out...
I don't mean to be mean...but damn. Where did you hear about Starquests?

I also see that you have a SQ FMIC, that's not such a good idea either.
Shotgun! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006   #3
Gravy
Who's this guy?

lol, i figured i'd get something like this.

Well, i figured as follows:

2g > 1g

1g > SQ

SQ <= or >= 1g?

I havn't been around DSM's for more then 3 years really, havn't had my hands on my own for more then a few months. The SQ would be a pain to fit to a 1g intake pipe anyways. But, i'm finding out by asking, not doing.

BTW, i upgraded for several reasons. First, it's a 16 bar FMIC from the 88-89 style. Seen several tests and multiple first hand testiments online that it flows just as good as the stock SMIC(not a huge upgrade) and cools better. I've been running 15psi with the fog lights out and still heatsoaking the IC. Plus, Pipes and the cooler ran me $25 bucks. Top end is much better, gona find out soon if the lower end is fixed.
Old 08-19-2006   #4
Shotgun!
Totenritt

Drives: Cranberry Plastic, Shiny red Bayliner with a V10
Send a message via AIM to Shotgun! Send a message via MSN to Shotgun!

the SQ all the had the same intercooler if they had at all, so I can see the flaws in your facts already. I'm not cutting you down, just wondering who screwed you with their interweb. Did you go to Dunwoody?
Shotgun! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006   #5
Gravy
Who's this guy?

No, i didn't go to Dunwoody, but my buddy, the guy i'm holding the car for, did.

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/icpage.html
Source: VFAQ, Intake options under "1988 Conquest/Starion IC Install on 90 DSM"

Quote:
More information put together in May 1998 (Updated 05/26/98)
Pat Sariego put forth some effort to determine the "rumored" differance between the 87 and 88-89 Star/Quest intercoolers. There had always been a great deal of what I called rumor regarding how 1988+ ICs had a higher flow rate. There was lots of talk, but no one could explain the differance, and no one seemed to had ever seen two differant ones at once. Well, Pat Sariego polled the masses and determined there is a differance. Here's how to tell the differance per his research. 1987 ICs will have 16 airtubes that are 5/32" tall. (I can't say diameter, the tubes are not round). 1988 ICs have 14 airtubes that are 7/32" tall. Another thing to remember is that these ICs never have part numbers on them, so you are going to have to count the airtubes to figure it out. The theory is that the larger airtubes on the 88 models will flow better. .. Then again, there are less tubes. In reality, you probably will just have to get what you can find, they are becoming so rare that you are unlikely to have a choice.
I've got to get ready for work, but i've found other stites and even someone who did a flow test. He found out the smaller tubes have only a 1psi loss over the larger tubed, or 14 tubed. The 14 tubed flows about as well as the stock SMIC, but the only draw back is you have more tubing and space to fill, so there's a slightly longer spool up time.

After burning my hand on the SMIC driving to work, i had to fix that. Running 14-15 psi with the fog lights in was heat soaking the side mount way to often, and way to fast. Four hard 100+ pulls on the front mount in 85* weather when the smic would have heat soaked, and the FMIC wasn't even warm, car wasn't over heating, and it looks very nice up front there.