MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

Old 05-03-2014   #41
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart
Re: Something that blows black!...kinda'.

Wow that thing is clean underneath

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014   #42
b00sted_spyder

Drives: 97 Eclipse GST spyder(Project car), 95 Corolla(DD), 91 MR2 turbo(Fun car)

Don't forget to flush the cooler lines!
b00sted_spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014   #43
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Drives: '08 Chrysler 300C
Send a message via MSN to DSMINMN Send a message via Yahoo to DSMINMN Send a message via Skype™ to DSMINMN

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhart View Post
Wow that thing is clean underneath
As far as rust goes; yes indeed! There is an oil leak has engulfed the entire drivers side of the engine and everything back to about where the transmission starts. Damn "push rod inspection plate"! They all blow out around the sides. This summer whenever I decide to do it I am going to buy an actual metal one. Maybe even one they make with vents holes to run to some type of catch-can.

Besides the "well oiled" front suspension parts the only thing under it is a whole lot'a dirt! Surface rust on the frame too. I need to get under it with a few 80lbs bags of sand blasting media and make everything bare metal then rattle bomb it. Then completely undercoat the bottom. No rust for this truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00sted_spyder View Post
Don't forget to flush the cooler lines!
All stock lines are getting replaced with 8AN fittings and SS braided line. Along with the front/auxiliary cooler. I will have to flush the transmission heat exchanger however.

Thanks for the input though! I would've appreciated that even more had I been using all the stock stuff!

Last edited by DSMINMN; 05-03-2014 at 06:17 PM..
DSMINMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #44
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Send a message via MSN to DSMINMN Send a message via Yahoo to DSMINMN Send a message via Skype™ to DSMINMN

Well.....I'm not even sure what to say here. 6.5 miles into having this transmission in my truck the following is what I am left with.

The pieces look like clutch material which is funny as the transmission has less than 10 miles on it. There was two breaks between those times. Possibly three. Here are the pictures of the top of the valve body.

As I said, I still don't really know what to say. I'm unsure what to even blame this on. My best bet is that the transmission got over-filled by the guys I had filling it as I kept it in neutral while holding the brakes.

It also doesn't help when I originally started filling the trans the day before this happened, a leak started from the weep hole in the overdrive unit. I later found out the transfer case on my truck isn't exactly the right one. The shaft that comes out of the transfer case isn't long enough to reach the seal pressed into the overdrive unit.

Yep..
Old 07-15-2014   #45
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Well last week I went to the guy's house/shop whom is working on the truck. The transmission is FINALLY out after he has been backed up with 6-7 cars and farming on the side. The results are as follows:

He found that the inner pump bolts weren't even tight.

They were so loose the pump just kind of did it's own thing after the pressure nearly rattled the bolts out. The second thing he found was the rear or "second" band was way too tight. Both of these things where what my room mate did. He insisted on doing the torquing since we were using his torque wrench. Well guess what? What good is a torque wrench if you don't use it? Jack ass.

When it came to the rear band he had no clue what he was doing. He just reamed on the bastard. Then again, he didn't know what he was doing at all.

The final issue was an e-clip popped off of the shift lever on the valve body. This was my fault for not getting the clip all the way on. Only after taking the valve body out 5-6 times trying to solve what we all now know was someone else's f*ck up.

So the guy that has it is taking it all apart and making sure that nothing was taken out because of these issues. I'm assuming the band is junk but he hadn't gotten that far when I was there. He also said it might be awhile before he get's to it again. So I'm going on a month with it at his place and nearly 5-6 without being able to drive it any more than 6.5 miles with a half working transmission. There was and had been no offer to help as far as money goes from the kid that "helped" me.

I just think it's "hilarious" that someone can offer to help you then ignore what you tell them to do when it is your vehicle, your transmission and your new parts...all your money. Then f*ck up and essentially cost you more money and a lack of a vehicle. Then they just respond "So we both f*cked up?" when they hear that they did something major but you also missed a $0.50 e-clip. Yeah, no! It's all good. What would've taken me an hour max to fix (e-clip) ranks just as high as over tightening a band and not even touching the pump bolts. What's $5,500+ dollars?!?! As long as it's someone else's money!

That's my rant for the day.

Last edited by DSMINMN; 07-15-2014 at 08:34 PM..
Old 07-15-2014   #46
b00sted_spyder

Drives: 97 Eclipse GST spyder(Project car), 95 Corolla(DD), 91 MR2 turbo(Fun car)

How much is this guy taking apart your tranny charging you?
Old 07-15-2014   #47
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00sted_spyder View Post
How much is this guy taking apart your tranny charging you?
That's going to be the fun part. He charges normal rates..maybe a tad bit higher because he is the only person in my hometown that works with transmissions; specifically automatics. There aren't any close towns that provide such services either so yeah..understandable.

My dad and uncle however own a body shop (for those that do not know). Often times they have to have vehicles fixed mechanically as they are a body shop. They'll install some things but..you get the idea. They use this guy that has my truck quite a bit and have started doing more business with him. He's a good guy and knows his stuff. He's very honest as well.

If he quotes you one thing but it ends up being another and possibly cheaper, he'll tell you, explain and show as well as charge you less.

So considering that, I am hoping to get a little break from his walk-in. Another factor however is that he hauled my truck with his rollback C5500 or C6500 from Bemidji to Wadena..or Verndale I guess. So approximately 90 miles.

The bill is going to hurt but what else am I to do?
Old 07-21-2014   #48
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

With the BS going on concerning the transmission I thought I'd make something useful while I still don't have the truck.

Terrible picture. I did indeed whip out a potato to take that one. You can faintly see where I am going to cut the "cross" out. Then remove the mesh and strip the chrome..hopefully. I haven't found a sure fire way online to get the chrome off. I know brake fluid will do it but common; who can afford to buy enough brake fluid to fill a container big enough to fit this thing in it? lol

I'll get a better picture for everyone and you can give me your opinions..or not. Whatever works. lol

Also, here is the mesh I plan on using after I cut that inner lip out.

http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/APSA70011H.htm

They won't let you save the pictures from their site so just take a gander. Not cheap stuff.

Last edited by DSMINMN; 07-21-2014 at 02:17 PM..
Old 12-06-2014   #49
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Haven't updated this in a bit; lol! I've had the truck awhile. It's still doing work, pulling anything and everything like no one's business; still no pussy mobile. LMAO Nothing really major besides my $100 junkyard front bumper. I really have to finish that grille I started..

It's pushing some nice low boost numbers now. This pic was this summer. Now she pegs 34 no issue. Time to get a bigger gauge and start planning around that.

Besides that she's still great. Worse thing now is the front end. Real shocker there, huh? Oh well. Can't expect to haul damn near anything and not keep some sort of maintenance going.

Last edited by DSMINMN; 12-06-2014 at 01:34 PM..
Old 12-06-2014   #50
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Almost forgot; this is probably distance future stuff here but I figured I'd throw it out there. I'd like to make a nice headache rack for this thing. Just simply because there are nice ones out there but for the price they're not worth it for me. Plus you seem to have to sacrifice one thing for another when buying from a manufacture.

It doesn't stop there though. I would also like to build an incorporated roof-rack or some call it "safari" rack..? I don't know. Either way I'd like it to be removable if ever I feel the need. Over-all I just like the idea of having more storage space outside the vehicle and more room inside for people and the like.

Obviously the two pictured are flat beds which makes this whole idea a little harder to accomplish. I still think I can make it happen however.

What're some opinions?

Last edited by DSMINMN; 12-06-2014 at 01:44 PM..
Old 12-06-2014   #51
dsmDolney

Drives: Racecars

Needs some tow mirrors....
My buddy has a 12 valve and loves it although 5th gear went out last week
dsmDolney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014   #52
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmDolney View Post
Needs some tow mirrors....
My buddy has a 12 valve and loves it although 5th gear went out last week
I agree it does. I think it would fit into the color scheme as well as make the truck look a little newer. Same with wheels I feel; in due time!

His fifth gear nut come loose? That's the one downside to the NV4500.
Old 12-06-2014   #53
dsmDolney

Some wheels and color matched mirrors would make the truck look good. Im not to much of a fan on fender flares but not my decision.
My buddys also getting the tranny looked at thia week sometime so well see i guess
Old 12-06-2014   #54
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

My rear fenders were beat up as this thing has been a farm truck for most of it's life. Some day I'd like to upgrade to the better and bigger style pocket fender flares as well. With larger wheels, tires and the 3 inch lift I am going to get it will be perfect.

Also a three inch lift is the max one wants to go while still retaining the ability to tow. So that's what I'll be shooting for just for practicality.
Old 12-07-2014   #55
dsmDolney

When you get the other flares and wheels on you shouod color match the flares also haha im a big fan of color matched everything on trucks
Old 12-30-2014   #56
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

You guys think I should sell this and get a new Durango? Hear they are like, it, bruh. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmDolney View Post
When you get the other flares and wheels on you shouod color match the flares also haha im a big fan of color matched everything on trucks
I'd upgrade to the larger pocket flares before I waste time sanding these down to paint them.

Last edited by DSMINMN; 12-30-2014 at 01:43 PM..
Old 01-22-2015   #57
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

I thought I'd put together a list of things I believe the truck needs. So as to maybe work to completing them and informing others as well. Also I want to avoid filling other threads! (;

The first thing I know it needs is a track bar. Almost all of the ball joint have ripped boots. Some don't even have any! So those are also on the list. With the new front bumper I am considering replacing the front shocks as well..just cause. Since I'll be in the general region I'd like to pop for differential cover off and inspect it. If all is good just replace the fluids with something synthetic.

If I am able I will be doing the KDP at this time as well. While doing so I will also be replacing the gasket on the tappet inspection plate/cover. I may buy a billet aluminum cover that replaces the easily bent and leaking factory one. A few other "pluses" to the billet one is it does not require a gasket and it has a breather port! Gotta' love that.

Since these things will take a little bit of time I will also look into replacing the rear diff. fluid as well as the transfer cases fluid.
Old 01-22-2015   #58
b00sted_spyder

Oh Dodge, i hate your ball joints! Have fun. Lol. A customer brought in his $800 lifetime warranty replaceable ball joints to install in his cummins. They were pretty cool. I'm assuming you have an open diff up front? I believe they should just be adjusters just like the rears. Check to make sure your axle joints are still good while you're there. A cummins just came in today with a cap missing and the joint wore into the yoke. Ridiculous! What kind of tcase is in your truck? I'm guessing a new process 233?
Old 01-23-2015   #59
DSMINMN
Mitsus for days!

The front is a Dana 60 & the transfer case is supposed to be a 241-Stand. The guy that fixed the transmission however let me know my transfer case was from a 1 ton as it has a PTO cover. I really should've looked at the damn plate on the thing.

One thing I would like to do as well is replace all of the U-joints. Fronts as well. Wheel bearings too. I had new rotors and pads put on this right when I got it and I just had them reuse the old bearings so I'm sure it's due.
Old 01-23-2015   #60
b00sted_spyder

All you'll really see is just the side of the planetary once you pop that cover off on that tcase. Make sure you go with Spicer snap tight joints.