MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 04-08-2015   #1
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord
Sparktech vs. Modifying Ignition Coil Dwell Time

So I ordered the sparktech for the X this morning but then someone reminded me of this:

http://www.boostedforum.com/Thread-I...ighlight=dwell

In the X you can now change the coil dwell time and people have been able to run normal plug gaps instead of doing what I am doing (gapping at .018) which I don't like.

I still feel like the spark tech is the "real" fix for this but at $1500 if I don't need it I can spend the money on the Exedy twin/triple I have been eyeing up.

I don't know enough about this to say one way or the other but to me modifying the dwell time seems to at least mean shorter life for the coils. Eventually though I would assume that you will still need a stronger spark through a stronger ignition system but not sure where that is for this car as no one really buys the spark tech due to price.

I eventually plan to go back up in power, somewhere between 550-700whp I am thinking, no idea where, not this year though most likely, so I think having a good ignition system is important and will pay off.

Anyone shed some light on this?

Talking with spark tech before they said the stronger spark not only will prevent spark blowout but give a more complete burn producing better numbers. Is that true? Meaning, is there really a difference between just not blowing out the spark and providing a "full/complete" burn?

edit: shortly after ordering I put the order on hold to figure this out and see if it's truly needed, just as an FYI.
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015   #2
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51
Re: Sparktech vs. Modifying Ignition Coil Dwell Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlo26 View Post
Talking with spark tech before they said the stronger spark not only will prevent spark blowout but give a more complete burn producing better numbers. Is that true? Meaning, is there really a difference between just not blowing out the spark and providing a "full/complete" burn?
This is true, that is why you want to run as wide a plug gap as possible. This is also why some guys prefer copper (or silver) plugs vs. platinum or iridium.

My opinion: Try the amplified dwell time tables and see if it works for you with the expectation you'll eventually kill the stock coils and potentially have to upgrade to the SparkTech (or buy some replacement OEM coils if you're satisfied with the results). I would run as little amplification as possible to meet your needs until it becomes more widely known how the stock coils are holding up.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015   #3
Murlo26

Well my tuner pretty much says no need to go to the sparktech at this point, said we can try the dwell time if needed but he has a 625whp stock motor stock plug car right now with stock plug gap and no issues (6266 car).

So he thinks spark tech is unnecessary for now and just wait until there is a true reason to go to it.

So I will probably regap my plugs to stockish .022/.023 range and see how that works then try the dwell times if needed and if a coil fails I will go spark tech.

But if anyone else has some good insight into this feel free to post, thanks!
Old 04-08-2015   #4
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Rather than trying to regap your current plugs, I'd just buy new OEM/NGK plugs that come pre-gapped to OEM spec rather than risk breaking off the already too fragile electrode/insulator.

Last edited by Kracka; 04-08-2015 at 02:41 PM..
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015   #5
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
Rather than trying to regap your current plugs, I'd just buy new OEM/NGK plugs that come pre-gapped to OEM spec rather than risk breaking off the already too fragile electrode.
Touche, good call. I will buy new plugs when I buy oil here soon, need to get fresh stuff for the cruise.