MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

View Poll Results: Where do I go from here? (now that all of the children have grown up...)
Build the X 17 56.67%
No one wants a $60k evo with high monthly payments, get out now and buy a 9. 13 43.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-21-2014   #3181
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon
Re: Dave's Evo X Build/The Life of Dave blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
I'm about to drop it on you bitches.
Walmart battery - $60-120 bam!!!
I'll see your $60 walmart battery and raise you my $30 fleet farm battery, BOOM!
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #3182
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

I used a PC680 and I couldn't get them to last over 18 months. After killing 2 of those I put in a lawnmower battery from walmart and the thing lasted for years! It was like $55 too and about the size of a PC680.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #3183
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

Kaboom FTW.

Wish walmart wasn't so far, you could of had it in the car......

Sorry I really just wanted to use my pic, it's been a while.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #3184
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

I toasted my Braille 2015 in 6 months (very similar to the pc680, not sure how long it was installed prior to me buying the car), would need a jump if I didn't drive it every couple weeks. Switched to Lithium, no more problems. The mini AGM batteries don't perform like stock, the Lithium are lighter and have way more power, they work like stock from my experience. Could leave my car a month and started up no problems.

I guess if you have already purchased, it's too late. But next year when you need another, +1 for Lithium.
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #3185
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by asshanson View Post
I toasted my Braille 2015 in 6 months (very similar to the pc680), would need a jump if I didn't drive it every couple weeks. Switched to Lithium, no more problems. The mini AGM batteries don't perform like stock, the Lithium are lighter and have way more power, they work like stock from my experience. Could leave my car a month and started up no problems.

I guess if you have already purchased, it's too late. But next year when you need another, +1 for Lithium.
LOL, well then...maybe my luck with these small batteries isn't my charging methods, sounds like a lot of others have had issues. I know a lot of guys running them in evos though, seems like the standard. Well, worst case I will sell it this fall and then buy a lithium one in spring.
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #3186
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

I never had an issue with them.
Kracka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #3187
Halon
Pewp Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
I used a PC680 and I couldn't get them to last over 18 months. After killing 2 of those I put in a lawnmower battery from walmart and the thing lasted for years! It was like $55 too and about the size of a PC680.
Exact same story here. Lawnmower batteries work fine, and are about as cheap to replace as an oil change. Standard once a year maintenance.
Old 07-22-2014   #3188
cmspaz
Walls need hugs too

Drives: V10 Touareg, Beater Jetta, Evo IX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halon View Post
Exact same story here. Lawnmower batteries work fine, and are about as cheap to replace as an oil change. Standard once a year maintenance.
This discussion reminds me of when you had to charge my DSM battery on Uni to get me home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor
Smart chicks are better. Personally I like a girl to give me her thesis on how to solve the economic crisis while I put it in her ass.
cmspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014   #3189
Halon
Pewp Champion

Ha, that was a long time ago.
Old 07-28-2014   #3190
Murlo26

Well the new PC680 started the car just fine, well minus the fact that there was still an air leak on the intake manifold making the car suck in air post MAF and make it a bit harder to start.

the new thermal spacer didn't work and upon closer inspection it appears there is an issue with the mating surface on the intake manifold. I did not want to use any sealant or anything as when we looked there was an apparent step or imperfection around runner 3.

Talking with Adam at MAP on facebook last night he thought the flat sanding process was probably the issue. I have already shot an email to Bill at MAP and I am sure they will take care of the issue but its just a PITA to have to keep pulling parts of and re-installing not to mention buying parts I don't need.

So hopefully they can fix the mating surface and get it true so it will seal up. If they fix it and it still leaks I will really be frustrated but i expect nothing less from my stupid evo. Even trying to go back to stock'ish its fighting me.

edit: emailed Chris back and forth. sounds like they recommend 2 OEM gaskets, one on each side to help sealing. Apparently the older thermal spacer I had was pliable enough to help with sealing and didn't need these but the new one I got they "need" them. I did mention I needed something pliable when I ordered so that kind of sucks that I am just finding this out now. I think Hughes said something about this earlier but I thought I was getting a direct replacement for my old spacer not one like I got which made the leak worse. Anyway, going to stop at MAP tomorrow to have them inspect the mating surface and see if its flat. If there is an issue with it I am still going to have the fix it and will probably get two OEM gaskets...more money spent, doh. Again, I should've just listened to Kracka but didn't realize I was getting the hard plastic one until it showed up.

Last edited by Murlo26; 07-28-2014 at 10:31 AM..
Old 07-28-2014   #3191
evotuner

Drives: 2004 Evo 8

You'll get it man, just keep at it.

Just remember once this car is running to read through all your old posts and you'll remember to leave the car alone and just enjoy it

2004 AS Evo VIII - MAP 2.3/FP Green E85 480/450 @30psi #RonnieTuned

2006 WW IX RS - Stock Motor/Turbo/E85 388/404 #RonnieTuned

2006 WW IX RS - 20K Miles - SOLD

2006 WW IX RS 396/404 - SOLD
evotuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014   #3192
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Luckily the X intake mani is way easier to R&R than the 8/9's!
Old 07-29-2014   #3193
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
Luckily the X intake mani is way easier to R&R than the 8/9's!
In exchange for turbos being harder to switch. I'd rather have it the other way as i am more likely to change exhaust manifolds/turbos than intake manifolds!

But from a performance/heat aspect the X is smarter.

Yes, it isn't too bad to pull off, but its just a pain to have to do it over and over again ya know.
Old 07-29-2014   #3194
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Totally understand that. So now you'll have 3 gaskets for a grand total of about $150?

This is the type I recommend, just so everyone is on the same page, they generally sold for around $25 or so and require no extra hardware, gaskets, etc.:

Last edited by Kracka; 07-29-2014 at 01:04 PM..
Old 07-29-2014   #3195
Murlo26

Quote:
Totally understand that. So now you'll have 3 gaskets for a grand total of about $150?

This is the type I recommend, just so everyone is on the same page, they generally sold for around $25 or so and require no extra hardware, gaskets, etc.:

That is what I had before. But the consensus seemed to be the gasket was the issue.

Then the new one basically made it worse. Which is why I think its the actual manifold not the gasket. I am sure if the manifold was true/flat I never would've had an issue.

And yes, i paid 30 bucks for that other one, worked great.

And also yes, now I have a total of 3 gaskets, worth like $150! It's stupid. I told them they need to update their site to say that you will need 3 as then I don't think most people would buy them.

When I bought the spacer that I have now they said it was the same as the old MAP one which is the white one I have which it wasn't.

Anyway, the plan is to see if this silly sandwich of gaskets fits with enough threads to torque it down properly. If so I will use it. If not I am saying screw it and i bought some permatex copper spray and I will use one OEM gasket and spray. I wanted to have a thermal spacer as the idea is sound and I think they work but this has gotten out of hand.

In the meantime I am still going to have MAP check the mating surface on the manifold and if its not true as i suspect they will fix it.
Old 07-29-2014   #3196
Halon
Pewp Champion

Geebus, so a spacer and 2 gaskets, that doesn't increasing the chance of a future boost leak.
Old 07-29-2014   #3197
Murlo26

Quote:
Geebus, so a spacer and 2 gaskets, that doesn't increasing the chance of a future boost leak.
I'm not a fan of it either.

But I also am not a fan of using spray gasket stuff either.

At this point I feel committed to get this to work and MAP said the 2 oem gaskets and the thermal spacer has been proven so I will trust them.

Like I said, I have a back up plan for just returning to one OEm gasket and saying screw the thermal spacer.
Old 07-29-2014   #3198
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Quote:
Agree. Rather than 2 surfaces to potentially leak, you now have 4.

Obviously hoping it all works out for you! Are the stock studs/bolts long enough?
Old 07-29-2014   #3199
Murlo26

Quote:
Agree. Rather than 2 surfaces to potentially leak, you now have 4.

Obviously hoping it all works out for you! Are the stock studs/bolts long enough?
Dunno. MAP seems to think so. The plan is to test fit the sandwich and if its long enough with enough threads go with it. If not, screw the spacer and single OEM gasket time.

I hope it works too, just a dumb problem to have keeping me from driving the car. I need to tune the car too so this is holding that up too. Hell, it will be winter by the time its all wrapped up at this rate.
Old 07-29-2014   #3200
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casual mention of an evo, cold little murlo, daves sexcapades, flip flop, flip flopppp, hotdog crank polishing, manifold butthurt?, sexy time.