MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > The Homefront! > Project Talk

View Poll Results: Where do I go from here? (now that all of the children have grown up...)
Build the X 17 56.67%
No one wants a $60k evo with high monthly payments, get out now and buy a 9. 13 43.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2014   #3201
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon
Re: Dave's Evo X Build/The Life of Dave blog

Get Tom over there, he's a RTV master, he'll git it dun up rite fer ya.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014   #3202
simulatedwood

Drives: 08 Evolution X

At this point, it seems silly to even run a spacer if it gives you this kinda grief.
simulatedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014   #3203
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by simulatedwood View Post
At this point, it seems silly to even run a spacer if it gives you this kinda grief.
I don't know that its giving me grief, well excuse me, any more than it already has I mean. I think I have a solution.

I looked at it this way. I spent 80 bucks on the thing, it gives measurable gains and I can't give it back. I thought I could spend 30 and throw away the 80 and any gains it gives to run just the OEM gasket or spend 60 and try it out and maybe I will get the benefits I am looking for.

Last edited by Murlo26; 07-29-2014 at 04:00 PM..
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014   #3204
simulatedwood

Drives: 08 Evolution X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlo26 View Post
I don't know that its giving me grief, well excuse me, any more than it already has I mean. I think I have a solution.

I looked at it this way. I spent 80 bucks on the thing, it gives measurable gains and I can't give it back. I thought I could spend 30 and throw away the 80 and any gains it gives to run just the OEM gasket or spend 60 and try it out and maybe I will get the benefits I am looking for.
I know what your saying,I was just trying to redirect you to the KISS principle and for what these few extra ponies are starting to cost. If it were me, I would have a for sale thread in without a second thought for a MAP Intake manifold and plastic spacer. Then post a wtb stock manifold thread. Since I know you do the opposite of what I do. I will let this one be.
simulatedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014   #3205
Murlo26

Car still isn't back together, mainly due to me just not having time with weddings, girlfriend time, traveling etc but right now the 22nd is the plan for finishing it up. Unfortunately its a weekend thing and that is the next free weekend.

In the meantime i have been debating about just selling the car. I know a lot of you guys have bimmer experience.

Thoughts on 135i? I am quite tempting to trade the evo for one. Almost had a great setup at WBL as bobby took one in on trade but then they traded it to another dealer right away.

Talking with my tuner he said the 135's with bolt ons and e85 can do 450whp. Sounds like a fun car.

Ever since I drove Shawns 335 i think to the store to grab parts while we were working on the evo i have been interested.

I mainly like the idea of moving to something more hassle free but I don't know that BMW = that...I just assume less modded, more stock = less hassle but dunno.

At that price point though, ~30k, a few other cars I like are in the running too though, mainly c6. I'd like to do a c6z but then I'd have to go to 40ish for something that is in good condition in my mind. Plus the c6z's have to have the head built for the valve dropping stuff.

Anyway, thoughts on BMW 135i? I am going to wait until my evo runs again and see if I still "love" it but at this point I feel like a new/different car would be fun. If I ever want something different I will have to take the hit of selling the evo and losing tons of money but I don't think that is a reason to never try other cars.
Old 08-04-2014   #3206
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

If you fuck with it, it won't be hassle free.

However, a few bolt-ons and not trying to push the envelope should net you a pleasant experience.

I'd pick the C6Z anyday, easily one of my fav cars. I agree with you on finding one it's $40+ but people keep on telling me that I'm wrong about that.

I was in the same spot as you for the last few months before my car ran, selling it has not crossed my mind once since it runs and its a very 1-dimensional car.

Good luck.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014   #3207
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon

I think those new bimmers are quite potent platforms. But I always worry about Euro gremlins. I've heard from a few people recently that these are definitely no exception, and not always a cheap/easy fix when things do go wrong. I've since been reconsidering if I want one of these too.

I've been looking at Coyote Mustangs a lot more though. I just have a hard time getting over the fact that it's a Mustang, and I'd really like AWD again someday.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014   #3208
Murlo26

I'd be looking at the 2011's probably, maybe 2010, nothing brand new, maybe 30-50k miles on them.

I worry too about the "euro gremlins". But I can exactly say mitsu is any better. I suppose if I didn't go full retard on this car it might have been a little more reliable though.
Old 08-05-2014   #3209
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

Dude, complete your car and you will love it. I think you'll be surprised how fun a stockish Evo X can be, look at how much fun Shawn has racing his, they are fast cars.

IF you want a reliable high HP car and like 2 seats, I would suggest the C6 with a built motor or something. Sure the Z06 has RARE valve failures, so if you don't need the widebody then just go for a built Z51 (plus you'll get a targa top). I sold mine with a stroked 427 with supercharger for 35k a couple years ago. No need to buy a Z06 if you want speed.

But really, if your Evo runs great after the manifold fix, just enjoy it for the next year. And then maybe move onto something else if you get bored. Didn't you buy this to replace a BMW that required a bunch of maintenance????
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014   #3210
BriK

Drives: GG IX MR SE

Thoughts and comments of selling the Evo and "losing money" have come up a lot in this thread but I'm not sure you're looking at things in the right way. I don't advocate you sell the Evo at all, I'm just providing another perspective.

You've already spent money on the various builds, rebuilds, parts, different parts, replacement parts, etc, so those are sunk costs and you should treat them that way. More directly, you'll never recoup those costs so ignore them when making decisions about the future.

The car itself isn't a sunk cost, it just represents an economic loss, so your primary consideration should be whether you'll derive more future value-- tangible (money) and intangible (enjoyment, etc)-- from selling it or keeping it.

This explains it well: https://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/t...unk_costs.html
Old 08-05-2014   #3211
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

If either of you guys want a ride in a 335Xi with just a tune, let me know! It is pretty damn quick for tune only and has been quite reliable. There are a few quirks, but nothing major with the N55 engine. Water pump goes after 60k, they are $250 and a few hours to change. High pressure fuel pump can go, but they should be covered under extended warranty for a while. That is pretty much it. The N54 has a couple more issues, but they have bigger twin turbos and can make more power on them. I am really liking the N55 though.

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014   #3212
rose0529
Who has my man-card?

Drives: a red car
Send a message via AIM to rose0529

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
If either of you guys want a ride in a 335Xi with just a tune, let me know! ...........

.................I am really liking the N55 though.
Ill put mine out there too, I have a completely stock (except a BMW tune that someone before me paid way to much for). Mine has a manual too, which can be hard to find if anyone is curious that way.
rose0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014   #3213
Murlo26

Well, so it sounds like no one really dislikes the BMW as a car idea. Meaning no one things its a terrible idea to buy one.

So at this point, I am going to get the evo driving and maybe try to find some time to test drive a 135i.

A lot of people seem to say the 335i's are the way to go, but I don't really want 4 doors as its not a daily and any weight savings are good in my eyes. HOwever, I have read reviews saying even the though 335 is heavier that the chassis balance is better and handling is "better" because of it.

But anyway, first thing first, get evo back and see how I feel before I make rash decisions.

I just wanted to get a feeler on people that have drove both the BMW's and evo's and if its something I would regret moving to from a performance perspective.
Old 08-05-2014   #3214
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Quote:
A lot of people seem to say the 335i's are the way to go, but I don't really want 4 doors as its not a daily and any weight savings are good in my eyes. HOwever, I have read reviews saying even the though 335 is heavier that the chassis balance is better and handling is "better" because of it.
They make a 335i coupe, it is now the 435. The 335 is better balanced and you are not going to notice less than a 200 lbs difference with all the torx it has. Not to mention the rear end of the 135 just looks goofy because it is so short.

Old 08-05-2014   #3215
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

My coworker's husband had a 135i that I rode in a few times, holy F that interior was tiny and cramped, the cup holder looked like a tacked on afterthought, and the navigation screen was smaller than a phone. Never been in a 335, but there are my thoughts on a 135 (I was semi-interested in the 1M or whatever its called until riding in the 135).
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014   #3216
Speedfreak

Drives: four tires

Just an FYI based on Jets post.

A close friend has arguably the cleanest used 335 coupe you'll ever find. He is beyond anal when it comes to cleanliness/waxing etc and maintenance of his cars.. makes his the best used cars to buy. He's in Chicago but is a MN native so getting it here would be no problem. His car is not actually for sale, but he is looking at 997tt's and would sell if someone made and offer. Oh, and the car isn't modded other than suspension and wheels (looks great).
Speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014   #3217
Murlo26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak View Post
Just an FYI based on Jets post.

A close friend has arguably the cleanest used 335 coupe you'll ever find. He is beyond anal when it comes to cleanliness/waxing etc and maintenance of his cars.. makes his the best used cars to buy. He's in Chicago but is a MN native so getting it here would be no problem. His car is not actually for sale, but he is looking at 997tt's and would sell if someone made and offer. Oh, and the car isn't modded other than suspension and wheels (looks great).
PM me a price if you wouldn't mind, just curious.

I haven't looked at the 335's yet so no idea on pricing. I don't want to go to much above 30k as I already have one car payment.
Old 08-05-2014   #3218
JET
Is funding Exxon.

FYI, 2011 and up is the N55 engine, 2010 and down is the N54 for 335's. You could sell the Suzuki if you got the BMW.

Old 08-06-2014   #3219
Speedfreak

Drives: four tires

Quote:
PM me a price if you wouldn't mind, just curious.

I haven't looked at the 335's yet so no idea on pricing. I don't want to go to much above 30k as I already have one car payment.
He said he won't sell before March, which may work for you. I'll get some info from him, but I'd guess below 30k for sure.
Speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014   #3220
Murlo26

No go on selling the suzuki. I don't want 1 car again, that is going backwards i think.

Plus, I don't really want xdrive if I get a BMW, I prefer to stick to RWD if I do that. I have a dd and only use the fun car when its nice so I don't "need" AWD anymore but I still might prefer it, dunno.

Anyway, I won't be doing anything this year most likely, so March would work mo.

All I know is my tuner said get a 2008-2011. For some reason he said the 2012's and up are harder to work with, didn't ask details. I figured those years were all the same motor, but sounds like 2011 was the start of something different.

Tags
casual mention of an evo, cold little murlo, daves sexcapades, flip flop, flip flopppp, hotdog crank polishing, manifold butthurt?, sexy time.