Thread: House Projects
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2009   #163
scheides
flips McGee

Re: House Projects

I've done dick with my house for the last year, went crazy! The weekend before thanksgiving we picked up a new king size euro-top bed for makin sweet sweet love on, re-arranged a bunch of stuff in the bedroom.

Last weekend we ended up re-insulating our attic (perfect timing!) and it worked out pretty awesome! $240 worth of insulation, face masks, and eye protection at Home Depot, free blower rental. Three people loading the hopper/blower outside and Rosey and me up in the attic at the other end of the 100' hose. Sprayed for about 3 hours straight, added 8-12" and brought the whole attic up to between R38 and R49 standards. Overall I'm SUPER pleased, I've noticed a difference already.

Oh, also cost me some beers and meals, taking care of my helpers My parents paid someone $.99/sq foot to get this done this spring. 1000 sq foot house (attic area) is pretty typical, plus they charge cost of materials on top of that. So I got mine done for ~$300 and they paid $1350. Ouch.

During prep for the insulation project, I managed to get some time in on this tv project at the same time. Got a new 40" LCD for the living room and moved my old 32" samsung lcd into the bedroom.

I WAS going to wire power from the attic down into the wall, but my house is pretty old (1913) and has undergone some changes through the years. Half of the current master bedroom used to be a porch or deck (please note the kink in the wall to the left of where I'm mounting the TV in the following pics), and getting any wiring into the walls turned out to be a nightmare. So, I ended up going with this kit:
http://www.mycablemart.com/store/car..._detail&p=1448

For anyone else doing this, get some new single-gang boxes as the ones that come in the kit are garbage! Also the extension cord that comes with it is way too meaty imho; I used my own for a bit lower-profile. Mycablemart.com is awesome since its local, I picked it up the same day I ordered it

Also went with this mount from monoprice. ~$21 shipped, best deal ever, comes with built-in level (which I verified):

And here it is all installed!

Sooner or later I'll pick up a HD cable box and a nice long hdmi cable and set the box over on the dresser. There might be room to mount it behind the tv, not sure.

Bedroom project is about 90% done, going to get a dressing table and mirror from ikea for anna to do her hair/makeup at. Prolly a stool and some lighting to go with it, I'm sure I'll end up spending another $250 pretty quick on that last part of this project.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote