View Single Post
Old 09-15-2010   #4
awd-drifter
'2of9'

Drives: Racer Van V6
Re: Starting big 2G project. Advice wanted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post

-The block has 40k and has Ross pistons Eagle rods-will be checking everything but don't plan on replacing parts as of right now.

-Need advice on head. The head on it now (40k) has always had a bit of a lifter tick but has some goodies in it. Aslo have another semi-built head with cams in it that I don't know history on other than the block blew up. Thinkin I'll build a nice head from parts from both but open to suggestions.

-I know there's countless threads on this but with my set-up... 92 or E85

-What to tune with (thinkin dsm link) and gm or mitsu maf. Heard good and bad about both. Also what ignition. Was thinkin coil on plug with HKS module but open to suggestions. Also is there any aftermarket timing covers for 6 bolts in 2g's so you don't have to cut it for the motor mount. Or at least a better/good way of makin it fit without grinding it to shit with your accesory pullies/belts.

-Any other tips/suggestions/warnings would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Cory
if the block is still in great condition, leave it as it is. As for the head, I'd probably check to see if it's cammed (264s, 272s or 280s). From what I've been reading and told, stock 1g/2g heads can get to where you want for a pretty mean street car. For head work, I'd probably get/replace new valve seals, guides and possibly upgrade the valve springs/retainers...if they're stock. E85 all the way if you're thinking about getting some pretty good numbers. DSMLink will get into the 10s or faster if you are really good at driving.