Thread: Project Lex
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2010   #123
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon
Re: Project Lex

Steering rack is in with the new TME poly bushings. End links have been tightened up, and the new tie rod ends are pumped up with grease. Filled up the PS fluid and took it for a spin around the block. Car feels MUCH tighter, it was immediately noticable! I think the steering bushings are mostly to thank for that. The old ones were stock rubber, and were falling apart. I'm sure new stock rubber ones would have felt better also, but they're still rubber and have a little play. These poly ones are stiff. I love them

What was funny though was we must have been off a little bit when putting the steering wheel shaft back on. The car still drives perfectly straight, but the steering wheel is like 100* off. It's pretty funny looking cruising around with the steering wheel that far off, haha.

Also I think the motor mounts made a difference as well. Steve even mentioned before that when you just free revved the car, you could feel the motor shake a hair. That is gone now, you hardly feel anything!

But also thanks again to brownman for stopping by and helping me. I would still be trying to get that f-in rod in if it wasn't for you man

Next I'm going to move onto the rear end. I have the new rear swaybar endlinks to install, but while I'm back there I will be checking for anything else out of the norm. But I'll wait a week or so to do that, I want to enjoy driving the car this weekend.

I am honestly really happy I'm approaching things in this manner, meaning doing all this maintenance up front before throwing power mods at it. Just this alone made the car feel so much better to drive, I'm amazed!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00359a.JPG
Views:	3780
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	10991   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00360a.JPG
Views:	8524
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	10992  
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote