View Single Post
Old 08-13-2016   #122
bramagedained

Drives: EVO IX SSL
Re: My "new" car/project.

I installed the wing I've had sitting around. There is actual wind tunnel data for some aero stuff/body mods thanks to a handful of guys a few years ago.

Stock the car has about 200lbs of lift in the front and 95lbs of lift at the rear at 100mph. This wing negates the lift and adds 55lbs or so of downforce while actually improving the drag coefficient. The front will get addressed more this winter, those changes should help drag, cooling, and reducing lift.

This thing was more effort than it should have been to install. There are studs bonded to the pieces which made laying it out more or less guesswork. Some of them are in horrible spots to reach to the point I spent an hour each tightening two nuts, one face at a time with a wrench.

Only very minor sanding was needed to make stuff fit to the body, which is as good as I could have asked for. The wing is made by the same place in Japan as the flares and is hand laid fiberglass.

Painted to match the flares and bolted up:

I couldn't get the fit quite perfect, well I probably could have, but I ran out of patience first.

It needs to be sealed to the body anyway so water doesn't get under, which I did with black silicone.

I masked off the car and the wing and ran a small fillet then peeled up the tape, I'm quite happy with the result.

I pulled the badges off of the hatch as mounted them on the wing, the wing has a spot for them to go.

The fuel cell stuff I mentioned before and never posted pictures of.

bramagedained is offline   Reply With Quote