Thread: House Projects
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2014   #694
BriK

Drives: GG IX MR SE
Re: House Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
I'm going to pick up a garage door threshold kit and see if I can improve my sealing quality.
I don't have experience with the threshold kits but I've thought about them and looked into them and I've ultimately decided on a different route. The problem I see is that the threshold raises the point at which the door is "closed" so while the little lip on the threshold may seal tiny little air leaks at the bottom, at least on my door, I'd be creating one new continuous gap all the way across the top-- solving a small problem and creating a bigger one.

I've ordered but not yet installed a brush weatherseal kit (I ordered two of the Genuine Hotrod Hardware kits from Summit Racing: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/se...FfFDMgodt00A1g) which I'll screw into the inside top and bottom of the garage door; I'll keep the normal seal at the bottom too so the brush is meant to seal any little gaps that are left. For the sides of the door, I've nailed the garage bottom seals used for the "home depot lip" mod on the inside and will be replacing the seals on the outside in Spring. It's hard to explain but, basically, I'll end up with seals on all sides of the door both inside and outside.

In related news, I more than doubled the horsepower of... my garage door opener. I upgraded from a 0.5 HP chain drive to a 1.25 HP Chamberlain belt drive with all the bells and whistles-- battery backup, smartphone app, etc. I was going to replace the door rollers with ceramic ball bearing ones but the opener has made opening and closing dead silent so I've ditched that idea for now. I can join in on the cold weather moaning too since I did the uninstall and install the week it was 20 below multiple days on end.