Thread: Project Lex
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2017   #1478
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon
Re: Project Lex

Thanks for the feedback. Right now boost control consists of a single 40mm Turbosmart WG with 18psi spring pressure. Then I have a 3-port MAC valve wired to AEM, and connected to the WG like in the diagram on the left in this link:

http://aemelectronics.com/files/inst...noid%20Kit.pdf

I'm pretty sure that I'm reaching the limits of this turbo, so yes I completely agree that any boost leaks are not great when you start approaching the limits of the turbo itself. Over-speeding it probably puts me off the maps efficiency islands, and mechanically probably isn't very good for the bearings and what-not. And I know I have some boost leaks.

I think I can get the piping leak fixed easily. I think there's a pinhole in the BOV flange weld. Momin has been talking about helping me redo the entire piping on that side anyway because the current piping on that side in general is a bit janky anyway, so that will take care of that one. Then there are two leaks at the two small vacuum fittings on the bottom of the intake manifold, which is another very annoying story that I won't get into. I can try and address those next, but they are not easy to access being on the bottom of the intake. If it ends up requiring me to remove my intake, then meh I dunno it might not happen before dyno day. The last leak is at the TB shaft. I guess it's common with some cheaper billet TB's. No idea what brand or anything this is as it was given to me, but I assume it probably falls into the 'cheaper' category. Unless there is a really easy fix, really easy seal or something, that's not something I really want to dig into at the moment, or in general spend much time and money on. Reason being is after this season is over, I'm getting rid of it as I will be converting to a DBW setup. So not worth it to me to spend tons of money or time fixing this one, or buying another, because after this year it's gone!
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote