View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012   #287
Mark Leasure

Re: Mark's 1G Winter Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
OMGZ 2 secs and 3rd is done. :drool:

I'll ask around/check out link too see what the big dogs are doing over there.

Looks like magnapump 4303 is popular or twin 044s
The 4303 has very very similar performance to the 42402. My Fuelab was benched at 154 GPH @ 85psi and the tech from Magnafuel said that at 80-90 PSI to expect 150 GPH from the 4303. The 4303 dives off the efficiency spectrum at 65psi. The Weldon is at over 200GPH at 80 PSI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane@DBPerformance View Post
Is the pump supposed to be able to support the fuel you are using or is it a bad pump? Fuel Lab products don't have the best track record from what I have seen on the dyno the last few years.
This year I switched cams to the S3’s and some other little stuff and I could never get control of my AFR’s. More fuel for more power? The pump is not bad, it has worked fine until this last winter upgrades.

They are very finicky when you try to control them between high and low. I had one go bad when I was using the AEM to control it. So now I just flip a toggle switch to run it at max speed before a WOT run. They are brushless DC, but I’m assuming they implemented a brushless motor topology that has no position detection and the downfall is they can stall out during speed transitions, drawing lots of current. You need to fuse them at the exact value recommended by fuel lab for protect them in this event.

Have you seen anyone use Fuelab’s electronic FPR to control them? That is what fuelab recommended to me. Run a second large pump and have the FPR regulate the speed. It is an option that I’m considering. If I get crazy I could switch to M3 for fuel and have enough capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
You are running the fuel lab 42402? They rate the flow at 13.5v (they say it will support 1200hp @ 100psi), if it didn't matter the voltage you would think they would rate the flow at 12-16v. That is the operating range they give for the pump. I would give them a call, it might save a ton of time and hassle instead of trying to put a different pump in.

I'm running E98, 30-35% more fuel required? I just verified with Fuelab, no BAP. The speed of the motor is set and controlled via a magnetic field changing, so the RPM/torque will not increase with a BAP. The 4303/weldon 4345a will work with a BAP. Too much stuff to consider right now! Lot’s of pros and cons to consider.
Fastest: 92 Talon AWD – 8.14 @ 171 MPH
www.maperformance.com
Mark Leasure is offline   Reply With Quote