View Single Post
Old 01-30-2017   #2
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr
Re: Back into the big leagues: Project FRC

....The Plan....

Most of you know me and know that I can't leave cars alone and really like my stuff looking nice. This car will be no different. I want something I can autocross in, come out to the MAP time attack stuff with, do a few HPDE events, and street drive/cruise. Once all that is done, I'll see what I and the car excel in and make tweaks from there; but for now the idea is to improve everything 105% without sacrificing something else. Easy to turn everything to volume 11, beyond that you have to start making sacrifices.

Stage 1: Getting the car up to snuff and ready to teach me.

Let's face it. This car is no joke. I know my limitations and understand that this car absolutely does not need any more power to teach me anything. I need seat time, and lots of it. Thus I am planning to get it ready for track use and see where the chips fall.

5 easy steps for this:

1) Get the Z06 wheels on there with new rubber setup for Auto-X, Street, and HPDE duty. Currently researching tires, but thinking I'll be in the STU class for autox so will stay under a 285 series tire. I've ordered brand new TPMS sensors so I can sell the chrome replica wheels with tires and sensors installed. Tires are TBA, going to noodle that idea for a month or so.
2) Fix the headlights. I've ordered a bunch of parts to make it better; including 9011/9012 bulbs, Hi-4 relay for all of them to be on at the same time, new corner lights, DRL switchbacks, All exterior LED's (except rear tail light bulbs). Also a few other dress up things; maybe I can actually get into cars and coffee with something this year!
3) Make it shift. The stock shifter is garbage. It is more vague than most vaguebook posts I see on my news feed.
Thus I have coming:

http://www.mtiracing.com/mti-racing-...t-shifter.html

This shifter SHOULD be awesome. I plan on writing an honest review with my installation when all the parts come. While the car is in storage I will probably go nuts and get down there in a month to get some interior work done.

4) Switch out fluids and old rubber. For this I've ordered SS brake lines (STU legal for autox) and Dot 4 fluid, new oil filter, new fuel filter, oil, coolant, thermostat, etc. I have those 03 Z06 shocks so I'll throw those on when I am doing lines and fluid. Brakes appear okay for now, but if they are beyond 50% worn I'll upgrade those when I am there.

5) Round it out for power and alignment. Car will go to Jeff when it is ready. For power, I ordered an upgraded air bridge to "complete" the intake and already pulled the tune out of it with HP Tuners. I'll throw it on the dyno this spring before the madness begins, I figure it'll make somewhere between 285-320 hp/ depending the engine health, weather, etc. It'll make what it makes but I'll know it is 100%. Eventually I'll add longtubes and a mid pipe, eventually a cam potentially head work down the road. Right now I want consistent and clean power.

After some more driving I'll make decisions as to what is next. Eyeballing C6 Z51 swaybars, but I want to experience the stock stuff first.

Stay tuned, this will be fun!

Last edited by niterydr; 01-30-2017 at 05:38 PM..
niterydr is offline   Reply With Quote