View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011   #76
Mark Leasure

Re: Mark's 1G Winter Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushit2.0 View Post
What did you torque the bolts to? I torque factory bolts to 135 ft/lbs with a lot of red locktite.

Good luck I to will be putting my stuff back together and trying again at the MAP event.

~John
I saw your transmission carnage, it’s too bad. What sucks is that this is the reality of high powered DSM’s, always one run away from catastrophic failure. The dog box route is crazy expensive, and still problem prone if not operated perfectly. I asked Shep what the cost was about two weeks ago and it was around $7K! He said that he is testing and possibly going to release a 4th gear upgrade for 1G awd’s. I’m keeping track of the number of 4th gear pulls in my car, once it hits around 75 runs through I will be replacing 4th gear proactively.

If I remember correctly I applied 130lb/ft of torque. I spoke to an engineer co worker that deals with vibration and fasteners. He thinks my mistake was that I used oil under the head of the fastener and not locktite. My thought was since we use no washers I wanted to make sure that the torque applied to the fastener was used to compress the flywheel and not fight against friction on the face of the flywheel during the installation process thus not controlling the actual clamping force. Unfortunately that surface should apparently be used as a friction surface after the locktite sets up.

Anybody have a uncut OEM 6-bolt 100mm crank for sale?
Mark Leasure is offline   Reply With Quote