View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010   #1
scheides
flips McGee

CBRD BBK-B aka BBK-XL turbo

Alright, enough talk about FP products! It's time for some blue billet fun. CBRD has been working on a slightly bigger compressor wheel for the BBK, and they're calling it the BBK-B. Apparently it is still SMALLER than a FP Red, but the numbers sure look promising.

GST has a customer car they've been testing out a BETA version of this on, it is a cast version of the wheel, and chad said the final version will be billet and also mentioned that it will be slightly larger still. Actual airflow rates are not out yet, but I'm *guessing* it'll be near their EvoX turbo @ 57lbs/min. FWIW, the original BBK is rated at only 47lbs/min, yet seems to put out numbers shockingly close to FP Red setups (from what I've seen locally) with better bottom-end and a little more drop-off on the top-end (after peak whp).

Like the FP Red and Black, both the BBK and BBK-B share the same turbine wheel, making upgrading for existing customers very cost effective.

Now, let's look at some numbers. This is GST's Mustang dyno, it seems to read nice and conservative, similar to our local heartbreaker dynos. Remember, this turbo is still 100% STOCK APPEARING, stock WGA, stock compressor cover, etc. Once an intake is strapped on, its incognito

Here's the test car with a standard BBK. Note that it's a 2.3L so torque is a little insane, esp since its on E85. The lower graph is the exact same setup, on the stock 2.0L. 442whp/410wtq@30psi on the 2.0L (not far off from my car) and then 458whp/460wtq on the 2.3L.

Mods (this is a cali car, so it has a LOT of stock stuff on it, including the stock intake snorkel!):
GST 2.3L stroker
Oversized valves in head (no head porting)
3" Downpipe
3" Agency Power catback
RRE rally cat (resonated test pipe)
Titek V2 tubular 02 housing
Ported stock exhaust manifold
CBRD BBK Full XL Beta (ported)
GST open cone air filter
Perrin FMIC
AMS LICP
Stock BOV
Cosworth M2 mivec cams
FIC "BlueMax" 1250cc injectors
AEM fuel Rail
AMS fuel return line
Denso IKH24 spark plugs (1 heat range colder)
GM 3 port boost solenoid using ECU-controlled boost
Stock ECU (Tephra V7 ROM)
Stock MAF
Stock Intake Manifold
Stock Upper IC pipes
E85

Then, the BBK was swapped out for the BBK-B Beta:

476whp/464wtq. Note the minor loss in spool-up and the basically +20wtq from 5000rpm up. Very little lost for a fair amount gained!

At this point, the car was out of fuel, so a few things were added:
-synapse BOV
-FIC 1550 injectors
-BlaqOps Double fuel pump setup
Here's where the car is at today, still on the BETA wheel. 502whp/481wtq@32psi, tapering to 28:

net gain, +44whp/+21wtq, and about 100-150rpm loss in spool-up.

Now, time for speculation:
I'm super curious how this turbo will perform on pump gas. BBK Full did a best of 388whp on my car at only 25psi, will this BBK-B be good for closer to 400? Time will tell! Chad said the compressor wheels are still a ways out, so maybe late february we'll see some more actual numbers out of the final version.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote