View Single Post
Old 05-13-2015   #3317
Murlo26

Drives: 17 Honda Accord
Re: Dave's Evo X Build/The Life of Dave blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by asshanson View Post
Hardcore. Seems like an amazing setup though.
How big is that tank, like 1G? Great idea for road racing, no fuel starve. You really need dual 450's to supply 600whp on e85? Or you planning to get crazy hp again?

Edit: seems easier to get a huge external pump that sumps from the surge tank, maybe that's not feasible on the X, I don't know, just thinking out loud.
It is 2L with the two pumps in there according to Radium. Yes, road racing will be possible now with this as before any left (i think left) sweeping turns and even stock X's see fuel starvation. However, I saw some very significant fuel pickup issues after 600whp with my previous in tank setups before, anything below 1/2 tank and the AFR would be almost 1 point leaner and I even saw at 750whp where I would empty the stock basket by the looks of the logs to where it would go to 15+ afr's because it just had no fuel and the condition was worse with less fuel in the tank.

My plan with this is to theoretically never mess around with my pump setup again. It will be able to be controlled well enough for my current setup to not screw anything up (no high base pressure like my previous hardwired 450, 50+psi base) and will support 900+ on e85 I think.

I went back and forth a lot on the surge tank setup. My original plan was a weldon or something similar, a big external pump with fuel controller basically that would be inline fed from the surge tank. Well, talking with people those pumps are stupid loud, so I opted out of that as my car is too loud already. Then I was thinking about going to the single 450 surge tank and if needed I could boost a pump that in the future if needed. well, the single tank is a bit smaller than i would like and I don't necessarily like the BAP idea as it would just shorten the life of the pumps. So to get some extra capacity in the surge tank and be able to handle whatever I throw at it I went with this option.

Also, there are several others that are doing this exact setup and one that has it already running perfect down to the empty light at 800whp.

As far as my next setup, I still have no idea. I am digging the stock turbo for now but I know it's a temporary thing as it just doesn't have the top end I want from a car and it seems like a bit of a waste with my setup...still a very fun setup.

I'd say what the leading contender is but I will get more crap (i am sure I will anyway lol) about switching yet again, but most likely the new setup will be between 600-700whp. Regardless, the stock turbo will be on there all year as I am spending money on the surge tank setup and then a twin or triple disc clutch next (exedy triple most likely).
Murlo26 is offline   Reply With Quote